Beckham’s lawyers talk to Galaxy over extension

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Feb 4, 2009.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Tough talk. Americans, especially Texans, seem to have an irresistable affinity to it.

Meanwhile, back at the Italian ranch....

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You ain't kidding -- this guy is smoooooooooth. I'm so tired of his act. Dave, take yourself and your lovely wife back to Europe. You came here strictly for a cash grab. You did minimal to promote the game, because as soon as you are gone, all those nifty shirts with your name on them will not have any staying power. You never let a sports journalist interview you because your brigade of handlers held them all at bay, Ellen and Jay Leno, they're cool.

You looked at the biggest national economy in the world and said "Hey, even the word football means something else here. I'd like a piece of this. Handlers? PR guys? We got work to do." And you got it. Now, you are still viewed as the celebrity that you aspire to be above being an ambassador for the game.

No thank you Mr. Beckham, we do not wish to buy what you or the lovely Mrs. Beckham are selling. Go away. Heck, there's a lot of money for you to make w/ AC Milan shirt sales.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think Beckham came over here with good intentions, but it boils down to two things:

1. He's a footballer, he's competetive, and he likes to win. The MLS salary cap situation made it impossible for the Galaxy to build a team around him and Donovan. I think if his supporting cast was as good as Houston, New England, or Columbus and had made a good playoff run, this would be a non-issue.

2. Playing for England is important to him; more important than money. Playing on a poor Galaxy side is not going to get him called up and won't get him in the World Cup.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nice tirade, Steve, but Matt and I were referring to the Galaxy director, not to Beckham. I personally am glad that the Galaxy have rejected AC Milan's transfer bid. If he's really that important to them, then let them pay a Kaka-level transfer fee for him. If they're not willing, then they can send him back to LA.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

A little off topic, but Beckham, Scolari & Those Who Will Not Be Named, Benitez losing the plot at L'Pool, is there an abnormally large amount of circuslike dysfunction in football right now?

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, I noticed that as well.