Beckham’s lawyers talk to Galaxy over extension

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Feb 4, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-italybeckham&prov=

Becks lawyers are on fairly solid ground. But not in direct contract terms, rather that Gals failed to provide suitable workplace environment for him to practice his craft.

My attitude toward this is shifting.. I now believe it would be in the long term interest of MLS if Beckham went back to Europe under these conditions.

It would say to all fans that not even a master jeweler can polish a turd... and just two excellent players doesnt make a team, anywhere.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And one human cannot perform miracles. Even Christiano Ronaldo, Kaka, and a host of others cannot carry a league on their own.

3. pettyfog

While you're indeed correct in the major point, I again take issue with your uncalled for jabs and needles.

I point out to your jaundiced eye {so much so I might add that you see MLS issues as piss yellow} that he didnt HAVE to carry the league.. only the Galaxy.

The Crew did quite well on their own... Building fan base the old fashioned way.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Forgive me if I don't believe the Italian sporting press. I will be surprised if Beckham is not playing in the MLS this season. He and Victoria have invested a huge amount in settling in LA, and I don't see them walking away from it. The States is a massive gold mine for Beckham incorporated. Football is only a part of their empire.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don, that seems like cynical perspective (and an inherently American view, most English would say). The guy nearly poops money, so I don't see that as his motivating factor here. How about, he's more like any other red-blooded guy than some think. The hands of time are moving rapidly and he wants more personal and team achievements (UEFA Cup, Champions League, National Team) before he runs out of opportunities. He just ain't gonna see that with the Galaxy, or in The League.

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

By all accounts Mrs. Becks has flopped in the US.

I think Becks will be back - but not this season. Maybe not even next season...

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Christian, it isn't being cynical. It's called the long view. Beckham is not some starry-eyed kid hoping to get on a big club. He's already played for Man U and Real Madrid. He's won everything -- barring a World Cup.

He knows that he won't be shit in Milan if he can't kick a ball, but he's established financial and social contacts in Los Angeles that'll keep him when he's my age. Do you think he wants to be a presenter on Sky? The guy knows that his long-term is Los Angeles. Why move from LA when he can spend his winters in Milan?

And don't you remember going through this same crap when he was working out with Arsenal last year? And have you seen any quote from Beckham or seen him interviewed saying that he wanted to say? No. European sports writers make shit up, and AC are putting the pressure on him via the press.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

England, under Capello, has a decent shot for winning the 2010 World Cup. Becks wants to be part of that team. His best chance for doing that is playing in Europe. AC Milan has an approach and team set-up which suits Beckham's style.

Becks will return to the MLS after the 2010 World Cup; he still wants LA for his long term future, but the most important thing to him right now is a chance to loft the World Cup Trophy.

9. pettyfog

Finally, I think we're narrowing down to concensus on here. Note my change of heart on Beckham going considering the Gals circumstances.

I think if it had been Beckham featuring for the Crew, instead of GBS last season, the Euro-Press angles might be much different but their conclusions would be the same.

But here's the difference.. it's pointed out that Becks wants to be a FORCE in promoting soccer, Schelotto's motives are different. He just loves the game, loves to play, and wants to be the major guy in whatever club he's playing at. The only personal playing goals Beckham has left is getting England as far in the WC as possible.

I think, if Posh learns to deal with it and he DOES go, Beckham will be in LA after the WC, he might even hang up his boots and stay in LA. If he stays and the Gals tank AGAIN, he might not be in LA, whatever.

10. Bradical

Bradical Member

Agree w/ 'Fog - this is about the World Cup 2010. Beckham wants to make the team, and he wants to win it. Then he'll be back in LA.

I'm all for it. AC Milan's games have been great to watch since the move.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'll go with that. A year and a half more, possibly two years, back in Europe, and then a bit more of a semi-permanent move to LA for the sake of The League and that he will feel like he owes them a little more of something. Still, I think Mr. Posh's motivation in the beginning has definitely evolved since playing in LA. Just speaking as a 30-something, the age 30 had a wierd, somewhat depressing effect. It then takes a couple of years to realize there was no kryptonite that zapped all of your strength on that birthday. Perhaps Beckham just finally came around to realizing he wasn't as washed up as the press and some managers had suggested.

Also, in the Hatter Don is the anti-Wesley Snipes category, this headline hit Soccernet nearly immediately after his supposition above: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... pe&cc=5901

"Always bet against Hat."

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

He admits the obvious. Buh Bye Becks.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Has MLS really gained much from the Becks show? I remember attendance increases mentioned when he first arrived, but haven't heard much made of that since. Just wondering if the buyout from AC would exceed whatever is gained from keeping him.

14. pettyfog

Still MORE Franek trying to justify his long term anti-MLS position. In no way did that really counter anything that Don said. Before you get the big-head, don.. you do plenty of that yourself in Pol.

Mind this timeline:
    Beckham loan works out great for Club country and Beckham,
    Lawyers involved.
    Beckham public statement he wants to stay at Inter.

Now the ball's in LA's court. I dont have any idea how much influence on signings and departures Arena has... but it is not good that there's been no real attempt to massively infuse Galaxy with appropriate talent, especially with Donovan gone.

If Gals FO remain intransigent, you can expect this to get ugly. And THAT is bad for the league.

PS.. dont forget, LA has two teams.

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Inter, AC,....whatever, right 'fog?

Anti-MLS??? Have you learned nothing yet, Jim? On the contrary, I care about MLS too much.

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Pretty sure that's what WB was referring to. Ironic coming from the guy (PF) whose pet peeve is reading comprehension (when it comes to his posts anyway). :wink:

Edited to clarify who I was referring to.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, it was, if you are referring to my posts.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You mean like this one?

and this one?

this guy hasn't been issued the Premier League Directors' Handbook of Quotes, has he? :banana:

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Nope, but he's got the US politicians' "Speak Out of Both Sides of Your Mouth" one.