Because he's EVIL, Bob!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 19, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh..

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

No surprise.

Despite the abundance of arrogance that so many claim he shows, Bush doesnt toot his own horn. He also appointed unprecedented numbers of minorities to high ranking government positions and gets no credit for it from the press. A Democrat making the same appointments would've won a boatlaod of moral authority.

So Bush has a great record on Africa and minority appointments but I bet the majority of Americans would say he is racist. And if he had to face an election today, I bet he couldnt get more than 5% of the black vote.

He also did more to restore wetlands than any other president but gets blamed for Katrina. And finally, his ranch house is probably greener than any other politicians' house (certainly Al Gore's) but he doesnt brag about it like some Hollywood nitwit would. What does it all get him, very low marks from environmentalists. While Gore with his electricity consuming mansion and watershed polluting mine, gets credit as the greatest environmentalist of our day.

3. pettyfog

You forgot that he wanted to stay the hell out of the way in New Orleans... anyone who was ever in the vicinity of a Presidential visit to their town might understand that.

So what did he get for thinking it WASNT a good time for a photo-op??

Whatever else history says about him, it's certain he'll go down as the "Great MisCommunicator"
    :roll:

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Totally agree with you.

Also, Kosovo got its independence this week and largely thanks to the United States (Kosovars were waiving American flags during their celebration)... yet we don't care about people from lesser known parts of the world.

Yeah, Bush gets a bad rap on Katrina, but it provided a event for Democrats to buttress the stereotype that Republicans are the party of white men and racists. Louisiana's new Republican governor isn't even white and he got elected because it was a Democrat in charge for Katrina (who was utterly ineffective at the time and afterwards... although not a bad governor through and through and LA's first female governor).

Katrina was a mess mainly because it was unprecedented and New Orleans government barely functions. It was a local meltdown, rather than a national meltdown. FEMA, though, is a bit of a mess and needs to be sorted out as best it can.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

No no no. Bush isn't evil. Everyone knows a vote for DEMOCRATS is a vote for terrorism.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

True, true... Republicans say their own ridiculous stuff. Geldorf isn't American though and he represents the international elite who think Bush is fundimentally cruel and America just doesn't care about people other than themselves.

7. pettyfog

Well.... this is certainly getting 'muddy'. Perhaps jmh would like to point out where that meme is promoted, and the references to DEMOCRATS responsible for it.
    Bet he wont! Because I'll take Pelosi's recent activity... or lack of it ..on FISA and beat him over the head with it! Using Jay Rockefeller's words.

While Limbaugh - who everyone KNOWS provides all the Republican talking points- isnt worried about how any of the Pres candidates will act, at this point in time. So, naturally, I'm not either!

But I guess it does fit in here.. after all. Bush / Republicans hardly get ANY campaign money from 'Big Money Law', Pelosi & Co. DO!

You'll note I made a specific charge, there... one which I'm prepared to back up with facts.

8. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Bush has accomplished some good things as President, but what's going to be written in the texbooks is the mistake he made going into Iraq and f**king up the Middle East even more. And that's why I don't like him. Is it just me, or do Republicans not know anything about foreign policy and the concept of blowback?

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

While I agree with much of what you say I do wish to point out a few things.

-I was pretty young when dubya first came into office but as I recall he had a ton of moral authority and indeed did get credit for his appointments. Forever the media parroted the; he's so humble,organized, and efficant. He shows up to meetings on time and makes sure they end on time, he wakes up early every morning and exercises and even jokes around with his security, Isn't this great isn't this such a refreshing change!, ect. ect. ect. His moral authority was of course never higher than after 9/11 and than freeing women in Afganistan. He had moral authority and its been squandered.

-I think its highly unlikely that 51% of Americans would call the president a racist. I would not. But you are correct his African trip and sucess's there do not get much play.

-For what its worth he bought that eco-friendly ranch in 1999, whist running for president and it did come up during the election. And yes Al Gore is a dishonest hypocrite and the press is giving him a huge free pass, but they have not always. It comes and it goes like this with politicans, someday even Dubya may get his credibility back.

-And oh come on of course Dubya toots his own horn! Its part of being an elected offical you constantly have to remind people of your own worth. For the longest time when asked if there were any decisions he's made as president that he regretted he refused to name one. If this is not arrogance then I don't know what is. He does it in a humble and endearing persona which Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, Rick Santorum, Donald Rumsfeld, Bill O'Rilley, ect. do not. But that dosen't mean he dosen't do it.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I won't?

From Romney's concession speech:

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Also, from McCain's Wisconsin victory speech:
    (Emphasis added)

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Spencer, as usual, you make some great points. However, other than for a few months after 911, I dont agree that Bush ever had any moral authority. Remember that after the 2000 and 2004 elections, there were all the accusations of stealing the election.

Bush doesnt get any moral authority on the minority appointment issue because conservative minorities dont count. They dont subscribe to the typical minority ideology so the color of their skin doesnt matter, they're not considered black or, to a lesser degree, hispanic by the minority community. If they dont subscribe to the minority ideology then they are Uncle Toms.

Also, not having any regrets about decisions made is not the same thing as tooting your own horn. We all know how dismal his unrehearsed speaking ability is so he is better off saying he has no regrets to the press.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

1. Bush was not the first president to show gender and ethnic diversity in nominating. You may remember that Republicans constantly attacked the women who ran Clinton's State and Justice Departments, not to mention the Republican's success in getting rid of Clinton's African-American Secretary of Commerce and his hispanic Secretary of HUD. But that was different because they were Democrats and therefore EVIL.

2. In the 2000 campaign, the Clinton Administration was trashed by GWB for their interest in "nation building" (he made it sound like an STD when he said it) in the Balkans -- but don't let that stop supporters of GWB celebrate Kosovo. It would be nice, however, to acknowledge that he identified exporting democracy as counter to America's interest right up to the point that there were no WMDs in Iraq.

Full props to the president for putting using the moral capital of the United States behind the battle against AIDs in Africa, but please let's don't pretend that he's the first president to do so. Hell, he's not even the first president IN HIS FAMILY to do so.

However, as has been said, what he's done in Africa does not trump Iraq, Katrina, nor the full-time effort to enrich his buddies through sweetheart no-bid contracts. Nor does it free the self-styled "uniter, not divider" from his never-ceasing efforts to make this nation Them vs. Us.

I wait for PettyFox to identify who's ideas I just parroted. Sigh. Only 11 months until President McCain. I can hardly wait.

14. pettyfog

What did he do wrong in Katrina, again, Don... things that a Dem president WOULDNT? Are you saying that a Dem President would have just elbowed the Gov and Mayor aside and taken over? OR WHAT!!!

Also.. if we're going to go into campaign rhetoric, I'll bite. Right after one of you guys go into the House refusal to go along with Senate Dems on FISA and an explanation WHY their bill didnt have the telecom absolution in it.

Now about that campaign rhetoric: Which of you is going to post bio's and outline of Obama's Foreign Policy and National Security advisor views?

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. Bush's mistake in Katrina was in appointing a FEMA head without the background and experience to do the job. I place no blame beyond that, but come on...FEMA head is NOT where you put your cronies; it's too DARN important.

re: FISA. Congressmen are far more subject to the whims of the voting populace - they are ALL facing re-election, so are more likely to shy from hot button topics. Senators can afford to take a more long-sighted view on things as they usually have time to do something else to make their voters forget about a previous "bad" vote. Fact is, voters tend to be short-sighted, more focused on "what have you done for me lately" than "what is good for America in the next decade" - this is the crux of the difference between voting habits in the House and the Senate.

re: Obama. I'll worry about his advisors AFTER he's elected and AFTER they've been nominated for cabinet jobs. The DNC isn't going to let Barrack go cowboy; they are too smart to let the momentum swing the other way too soon.

16. pettyfog

Andy... do you want me to come right out and make the charge AGAIN!!?
    Here it is: Lobby/campaign money from the Trial Lawyers Association {plus staying on the good side of Kos and MoveOn} is MORE IMPORTANT to Pelosi than our national security!
    Pelosi didnt give a shit about the voters... if she did she wouldnt have given Republicans all the campaign fodder on her 'first hundred days'. It's ALL about the money, money soothes voters views because it allows you to run nice feel-good ads.
    Dems DONT appoint cronies? Competent people to run huge freakin bureaucracies are readily available? I didnt and wont take ONE breath to defend Brown, he was a guy way over his head and thought that a memo written meant a job done.. so HOW WOULD THAT DIFFER from anyone else who would take that responsibility at that pay?

And did or did not FEMA do a dry run exercise on hurricane emergency responses with LA and NO just the year before?

Look... the issue ISNT whether Bush take the heat in political rhetoric or not. Someone has to take the heat, but it seems to me that it's part of paid campaign rhetoric. But for it to be swallowed and puked up later by supposedly intelligent people is what dismays me.

Oh... and, by the way, here's some Katrina ammo for YOUR side.

Sorta... note he points out that during Clinton, the elements under 'CiC' direct control reacted proactively.. just as they did in Katrina under Bush. The first responders are always military units. What he points out is Bush failure as 'Comforter in Chief'.. and , unsaid, we miss someone as competent as James Lee Witt; a guy who certainly impressed me.

17. pettyfog

Here's another 'howler' on it

Heh..... I havent enjoyed setting myself up to be shot at this much in a long time. I used to read this guy regularly; he's really fun, and we'd have more fun on here, if...

8)

BTW: He points out that Nagin was previously a Republican. What he DOESNT point out is that this only proves Nagin is a HACK! What difference does it make what party he is?

What better training to be a political hack than being a cable company exec~

-- - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - -

His current piece, on the Obama plagiarism non-story. Required reading guys!

What I like.. he takes down that effin' blowhard Jimmy Breslin who wrote great personal stories but then decided that made him a political pundit. It did... showed he's about as big an idiot as O'Reilly. Except O'Reilly's coherent when he writes. Breslin on politics is just a bad hangover.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So the leader of the House who's trying to expand on her razor-thin majority doesn't give a shit about the voters. Nicely "fair and balanced," PettyFox ... we know the drill. They're all the same; Duke Cunningham just got caught. Yeah, right.

19. pettyfog

Nice job addressing the point, Don. Except you forgot to mention RC's in JAIL!
    Are you going to hold your breath until William Jefferson's in jail? No... thought not!

She cares about LAWYERS' MONEY! Could you POSSIBLY be more obtuse? Go read Somerby, like I told ya. He's a freakin' PURE LIB!

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. You're pretty niave if you think that there is a single congressman or senator who DOESN'T care more about the Lobbyists than we feel they should. The US is a "rule by the wealthy" nation - poor people with ideals don't get into Congress. That's simply the way the system works, and while many will play lip service to "not being owned by Special Interests" they ALL are - you can't win a campaign without money and personal donations don't cut it in today's environment. I don't like it, but I accept it as reality. It's not a party line thing, its just our system at work.

On the Katrina thing, like I said, the only blame I place in Bush is in appointing someone without the chops to do the job. I have no problems with his personal handling of the situation, but there a few key positions that NEED to have a competant person, not a cronie - Sec.State, Sec. Def, and FEMA Chief head that list in my mind.