Beasts of the East

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Aug 24, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Again taking advantage of my absence from the stands, the Crew drubbed West pretender SLC 3-0, landing them in a tie {37} for first East and Single Table with NE, whom they play in two weeks.
    NE, able to only manage one point against Tor after winning in midweek, holds top position due to winning in their single mutual game thus far while Crew has a wide lead in GF/GA.

Chicago is close behind the two {35}, having beaten LAG at HDC on Thursday.

GBS once again proved why he is the 'McBride/Beckham' of Boca Juniors, as he scored on PK, had an assist, and set up the 3rd goal.
    If Crew manage to get into the MLS Cup final and Schelotto DOESN'T get MLS MVP, it will be a crime.

Some Stats:
    GBS is tied with Ralston for Game Winning Assists {4}
    Also notable:

2. pettyfog

And while wer're on the subject of being 'unappreciated' as MLS disregards touting GBS, Here's a guy who hardly ever gets to play but STILL gets called up by his National Team:

[​IMG]

The point being Duncan Oughton IS appreciated, both in Columbus and Auckland.

More from the Nordecke:

Vid of GBS' PK and crowd reaction

3. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

The way RBNY is playing, you should watch out. We might be on top of the East before you know it.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I believe Guille notched assists 15 and 16 tonight in the Crew's 2-1 win over FC Dallas.

5. pettyfog

GBS is THE ANIMAL*. BAsed on performance, Cols cant afford him next year. We built the squad to win 08

It's amazing... you know how long I been following the Crew! You know how long it's been since they have been quality at 'finishing'? Forever. At LEAST since we had McBride and Stern John paired.

Leagues best finishers! Columbus!!!! gasp!

YEah.. BUT

I heard some TV.. guess it was on the pregame last night.. about the cluster of winners at the top of the east bracket.
    Crew must keep winning - advantage: ability to come back when down
    NE rock solid
    Chicago - leagues best D
    DCU - always scary and capable of running the table
    NY - Well... they're NY

Now's the knockout rounds, right. Everyone in East starts playing everyone else in East.

- - - - -
    * There's something curious about GBS. HE STILL gets pissed off if he's not given the full 90 minutes on the pitch. There's always noises about him going back to Argy to a lesser club than Boca but I'm wondering if he's not angling to go back to boca, itself.

6. pettyfog

Continuing to enjoy my Absence... now purpose-driven.. Crew demolishes the revs 4-0, in Columbus.

• Revolution Columbus Crew
      Total Shots: 4 27
      Shots on Goal: 1 13
      Total Saves: 9 1
      Fouls: 11 8
      Offsides: 1 5
      Corner Kicks: 4 11

GBS added another goal and 2 assists.. he was on the bench for the 4th.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

New England looked tired and Columbus made them pay!

8. pettyfog

Massive =

.. Crew!

Robbie Rogers got the GWG by himself in the 46th minute to take Columbus to a win over NYRedBulls and 47 points.
    Watch

- Btw, that was Gino Padula who dished the ball to him. Hejduk, though, also scored and had an assist. Noonan played in place of Schelloto.

NE {41} now must win at Colorado to keep pace

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: Massive =

Sweet goal by Rogers. Holy Crew...but imagine a Crew v. 'Quakes final. You may say I'm a dreamer...

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... but you ARE the only one!

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I hope someday, you'll join ME...

12. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

OK, let me give you my view: So on ESPN, the Red Bulls looked really sloppy (and physical, Alex Prus sucks as a ref for both sides) as the Columbus Crew showed they can win and play fairly well with aggression without Guillermo Barros Schelotto. Juan Pablo Angel scored on a sweet free kick but was otherwise invisible for much of the game. Not that much of the offense was trying to go through him; Jorge Rojas didn't do so well, Magee wasn't so good, Dane Richards needs to recognize that he can shoot at an angle rather than make a bad cross to other other team, etc. This team really will miss Dave van den Bergh for a few weeks.

Fair play and all that to the Crew. They are the best team in the league and when GBS returns, they will be the favorites for sure. That said, can the Crew give us 3 at Giants Stadium before our season closer at Chicago?

Kevin Goldwaithe is an otherwise good left back who can make dumb decisions at times. His red card is indicative of a very dumb decision.

13. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

You are all ignoring the drama that is taking place out of San Jose. I'm with Nevzter, Quakes and Crew.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The Crew looked very good last night even without GBS. Robbie Rogers stood out for me as MOM. His shot early in the second half was beautiful but he owned the left side of the pitch. The real surprise for me was his passing. He had several really nice crosses and a couple of delicate chip passes to spring teammates into open space. In fact I would say his performance was very much GBS like in quality. Eddie Gaven, who seems to have rounded back into form over the last month, also played very well.