BCS Championship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFCinPCB, Dec 2, 2007.

1. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Yep, this was a crazy year, with many upsets. But the biggest choke this yeas was, two words... West Virginia.
    MK

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't disagree with what you said. The BCS Championship game bothers me as well. I'm just saying that there won't be a playoff system.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

If it was good in ancient times, like when Notre Dame was good, it's good now.

I don't disagree with what you're saying about the need for a playoff system, but it isn't going to happen when it will lead to less money. I've found my peace with the whole mess.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

To say the system is screwed up is a mild understatement, when they do get it right its totally by luck. A couple of random thoughts;

West Virginia and Missouri; I was warming up to the notion of these 2 non-traditional powers (would've have been good for college football) playing and then WVU gags and Missouri is forced to play an extra game (the Big10 and Pac10 don't).

Ohio State; Their nonconference schedule of home games vs. division II Youngstown State , two of the worst teams from the MAC; akron and kent state, and 1 road game at Washington (who managed to earn sole possession of 10th place in the Pac-10), and now they're one game away from winning it all? all athletic directors around the country in the big conferences are going to change their tough nonconference games since it doesn't penalize you.

LSU; wish they had played Georgia instead of barely scrapping by a very average Tennessee team. They seemed to regress through the year (especially on defense), but now have a pseudo-home game for the title.

The reason there is no Division I playoffs (the only level of college football without a playoff) has zero to do w/concerns of traveling fans and 100% w/universities presidents maximizing the dollars for the conferences.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

SoCal,

LSU did lose its mojo several games into the season. The defense did get worse. Glenn Dorsey was hurt pretty much the whole season and the other starting DT was loss for the season in game 3 or 4.

The real problem has been the offense which hasn't been that good because the wide receivers were either hurt, young and inexperienced, or bad. The offense just hasn't been able to protect the defense as it should by holding on to the ball.

LSU is very lucky to be where it is. Didn't lose once in relegation, but was lucky to beat Florida. And didn't deserve to beat Kentucky. Should have beaten Arkansas despite McFadden.

6. SoCalJoe

Lyle, my brother is a season ticket holder for U of Oregon, and everyone up there was elated that the offensive coordinator left this year to take the same job at LSU, so I'm not surprised LSU's offense has struggled at times. I hear ya about Dorsey, that was one horrible cheap shot the Auburn guy gave him.

7. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

There's never going to be a playoff, so stop whining about one. There's too much money in bowl games for the non-BCS schools and those BCS schools that aren't OSU, USC, UofM, LSU, Oklahoma, (and Notre Dame when they have at least 9 wins.) Also the advertising that comes along with the bowl games mean the NCAA would lose a ton of money going to a playoff, unless you could find a way to name each game in the playoff after a different potato chip.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Small world, my brother lives in Oregon. LSU guy though. Yeah, Gary Crowton is the offensive coordinator. He's an LSU guy, but was head coach at La Tech and BYU I think. Supposedly good. Nobody dislikes him at LSU yet... and Les Miles has a lot to say about the offense as well. Matt Flynn just doesn't have a strong arm and the receivers aren't that good. Lots of mental mistakes by the o-line as well.

Had Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis (lst round draft picks) been on the team this year LSU might have gone undefeated.

9. SoCalJoe

TONIGHT ESPN2: College Football Playoffs!!

Who says the NCAA hasn't finally come to their senses, the playoffs
    are on tonight at 5pm (leftcoast time). The matchup in the national
    semi-final....Richmond vs Applachian State (yes, that App.State).
    Every level of college has a playoff except the one the greater population actually pays attention to. App. State is looking to EARN their 3rd title in a row...on the field, no debate required. Okay, I won't be watching either, but isn't it nice they're doing it the right way?

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: TONIGHT ESPN2: College Football Playoffs!!

i may tune in a bit. App State plays some good ball and I've seen a few other teams in the subdivision (or whatever the hell they call it now) that are pretty good too. (Eastern Washington & Montana).

11. mC13

mC13 New Member

RE: TONIGHT ESPN2: College Football Playoffs!!

Kinda Ironic LSU made the final since it is in Nawlins $$$