BCS Championship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFCinPCB, Dec 2, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Hearing and watching these 9-2 teams pander to everyone and beg to be in the Championship really is pathetic. My match-up, and I don't say this lightly as I am a UGA fan, would be....................

OSU v. Hawaii. 10-1 v. 12-0.

That should shut the 9-2's up.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Actually, it would only turn the howls into a 'Mormon Tabernacle'-like chorus.

Most of the 'unfortunate' will grudgingly accept Ohio State, but they'd really scream about Hawaii.

I find the whole thing quite entertaining.. and let's face it, ONE BAD GAME ruining 'the best team' scenario applies in a playoff system same as a ranking based system.

It's been a GREAT SEASON and the best possible argument FOR the BCS. And I find it interesting how DETACHED I was; given I thought OSU might get back into it via the 'back-door'.

And BTW... UGA? If there WAS a playoff system, would they even be seeded, and how?

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: BCS Championship

Top 8 teams in a playoff, you'd give UGA a spot based on rankings. Winning a conference championship should not give you a seed automatically.

An argument can be made that UGA is one of the hottest, if not THE hottest, teams right now. I am confident they would (or will?) put a stamp of worthiness on some Buckeye ass, with the toe end of their cleats.

But for now, OSU v. Hawaii. You know it makes the most sense.

4. pettyfog

Oh, it makes sense.... But, you know what?

If there was a four-team playoff, Hawaii STILL might become the National Champion.

We ALL know they arent the best team, though. Just as in '02, OSU wasnt the best team. They were the 'best prepared and luckiest' team.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Or as Gordon Strachan told the Shakhtar Donetsk skipper after Shakhtar's Gaffer said that Celtic were "luckier" to have won in the last Champions League match, "No, just bigger hearts."

6. pettyfog

Too true.. here's a poser:

'What if Maurice Clarett hadnt run the guy returning the interception out of bounds!'

For me... that is the singular great achievement of an otherwise ridiculous 'career'.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Say what you will about Mo screwing his life up royally, but he left it all out on the field that night. Along with many others. They deserved the Championship, as they were the best team, that night.

That was the best Championship game so far.

8. pettyfog

Les Miles, LSU and Michigan

Forget everything else on the subject..

If Michigan 'continues its search' for a new coach through December without naming one, it's Les Miles.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

turned off the TV Saturday night with Hawaii down 0-21. They obviously came back to win and were undefeated for the year. Did nobody learn anything from Boise State last year? I mean, I understand that it's better to have LSU playing in New Orleans, and that it's difficult to imagine a large Hawaii traveling contingent, but why put our only undefeated team at #10 and take them out of BCS contention altogether?

Scrap the BCS! There is NO college football championship and there never has been one at the top flight. Let's go back to the previous format and have the Bowl Games be what they should be.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Screw the bowl games and screw the BCS, until there is a true playoff in this sport, it is a joke.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Now Georgia has the responsibility of pulling back the curtain. Which I don't think will be an easy task, at least for the first half.

Richt was about as pissed-off as I've ever seen him. Which, compared to other coaches, was barely a raised voice. He made a good point however. If it says in the BCS rules that you do not have to win the conference to be considered for the title, why was everyone considering that as the determining factor.

Agree, Don. A joke, but I am sure Fox was happy to have everyone tuned in.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Won't happen. College fans can't afford to go to 4 or so playoff games. Way too much money in bowl games as well.

Geaux Tigers!!!

13. pettyfog

And all it will do is shift the 'we were left out ' bitching.

Let's face it... it's fun to argue about this, it makes everyone money, and even if there WAS a playoff, doenst mean the 'best team' won the whole thing.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

But why not make the bowl games the playoff games? I am tired of hearing won't happen from people and from college football big whigs. If college athletics are NOT about money, as so many claim it's not, I do not see the problem.

Sure we people will bitch about who gets left out, but they bitch about not getting into the NCAA basketball tournament too.

College football is a joke.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Because college fans can't afford to go to 3 or 4 bowl games. The bowls will also make less money because their value is less. The bowl system is unique and just doesn't fit a playoff system. There would have to be a clean break.

A playoff system would also mean less money for fewer colleges and conferences... so not a smart choice for college presidents.

The way college football is played today is no different than it as in the 1930s. See no reason to change that. If it was good for Notre Dame in antiquity, it is good for Notre Dame today.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Lyle, the argument about 3 or 4 playoff games making the season too long was made when teams played either a 9 or 10 game season. Now most teams play 11 or 12 and most conferences have a playoff meaning that most of the top quality teams play 12 or 13 games and THEN a bowl game.

I think everyone has stopped pretending that any of these people are students. The problem is that all of the major bowls will only accept this if they are the venue for the championship, and they won't do it.

So, just stop pretending that there's a national champion CFA team, and let the bowls be about rewarding the athletes, students, and supporters for a season well played.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

People will go to the games. Don't worry about that. In fact, I would guess most of the BCS bowls are filled with corporate big whigs and other such people who could care less about the outcome of the game.

All of these arguments might be valid, but I just do not buy into the theory that things have to stay the same and no change is needed. We bitch about this every season and NO, this is NOT good for college football to have people complaining about it every season.

I am a die hard college football fan, but quite frankly it is turning me off more and more this crap called the BCS.

18. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Tom, I agree 100%. That's why I keep on cheering for Southern Miss, not chance of BCS screwing their season up.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Best news of the season, folks: Prairie View A&M had more victories than Notre Dame!

And it wasn't even close! :banana: :banana: :banana:

20. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

I don't understand how Missouri got left out and Kansas got in after Missouri BEAT Kansas.