Baseball, Golf, Bowling, NASCAR, Darts, Poker, Etc.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFCinPCB, Oct 4, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sports or Competitions?

Some of these just hardly keep me interested anymore, the other ones I never watched in the first place. (For the love of everything right in sports, for goodness sakes get poker off of ESPN.)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Baseball is a sport. I call golf, bowling, darts, poker, and rock/paper/scissors games. Hot dog eating and NASCAR are idiotic competitions.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If it hadnt boosted the Travel Channel's ratings.....

What about the X Games.... anyone able to say X athletes arent really circus acts? With a straight face, that is.

What about pro rasslin on USA and SFC?

It's a sure sign of the apocalypse.

4. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Anything with two teams facing off = sport. Everything else is just a hobby in which you may or may not get paid for.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: Baseball, Golf, Bowling, NASCAR, Darts, Poker, Etc.

By that definition, tennis singles would be a hobby and tennis doubles would be a sport. Also, boxing would be a hobby.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Anything that a 50 year old guy with a pot gut can do is not a sport: byebye golf, darts, bowling.

I'm amazed that ANYONE would watch someone else play poker -- especially on television, but then again some people watch tractor pulls and wrestling.

Boxing stopped being a sport when you could have 4 or 5 "world champions" at each weight level.

Auto racing isn't a sport, and horse racing is only a sport for the horses. If gambling on them became enforcably illegal, boxing would disappear along with all forms of racing. Pro football and college basketball would still be getting the same amount of attention as they did in the mid-50s.

Finally, High School Football is not a sport -- IT IS THE ONE TRUE RELIGION!

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Damn, Don. What a nice little package you wrapped it all up into. Well said.

Baseball may be a sport, but just barely. And sorry quickdraw, but clevelandmo takes the points in that head-to-head match-up.

LONG LIVE SPORTS!!!

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The golf we do on the weekends is not a sport, but a recreation. The golf that is played on the Tour, on courses that are over 7200 yards, greens that are as fast as your driveway, and where you have a couple of minutes between shots to think about all the ways you can choke is most certainly a sport.

9. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

I second SoCalJoe's point, and Baseball is definitely a sport, PCB you may not like it, but, its been one of the most popular team sports in this country since the late 1800s. Bowling, Darts, and Poker are all professional drinking games. And NASCAR, is a competion competed by highly skilled drivers, (not athletes), much like Formula 1 in Europe.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

What he said.

Go to a pro tournament pick a group any group and follow them for eighteen holes. The intensity and competitive nature is unmatched.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

My definition, SPORTS must include all of the following: sweat, strength, speed, stamina, heart rate up, strenuous exercise, some level of fitness, AND competition.

Goodbye all of the above. You are not SPORTS. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. But you are not!

(Caveat: baseball might be, but only for a few seconds, not hours.)

12. pettyfog

And yet..... you exclude NASCAR as a 'sport'. Not that I'm exactly a big NASCAR fan... or any auto racing... but it requires all the above.
    Perhaps not in the same blends as 'foot-sports' but there's no flabby pot bellied multilap auto racers anymore at the top levels.
    Drag Racers and John Force is the last buccaneer in the 'old boys circuit'.

While we're on the subject of 'quasi-sports' and with an eye to "pro rasslin'", .. heh... I love this... what about Dida and the Celtic fan pitch invasion? Have they taken him off the critical list yet?

I REALLY dont think we soccer fans ought to be all that critical of quasi-sports with all the 'pro rasslin style' acting going on.
    :banana:

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jeez; I hate it when you're right! 8)

14. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

"Golf is a good walk spoiled"- Mark Twain

15. pettyfog

I know you do, from the way you constantly fight it.