Baseball 2016

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Apr 12, 2016.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Agree on the signs.

As an old --VERY OLD -- first baseman, however, I believe that ball should have been cleanly scooped with a foot still on the bag.

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Agree on the signs and with the old first baseman. You gotta make a better effort to make that play. And Big Papi and his team are done.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The proverbial pit in every Cubs fan's stomach in full force as they stayed up until 1:30 Central time to see the Giants win in 13....nobody and I mean nobody does the 'Sky is Falling' like Cubs fans.

2 surprising sweeps and all of a sudden Toronto or Cleveland will be in the WS.

Who will the Dodgers give the ball to in a must win Game 4? Kershaw won Game 1, but labored big time to get through 5 innings with over 100+ pitches.

4. jumpkutz

The ALCS is a surprise to me as well, although anything can happen in the playoffs. I think the Cubs are still in good shape. Their lineup is killer, and they're mentally strong. It wouldn't have gotten into extras without a TERRIFIC at bat by Dexter Fowler before Bryant's bomb. That showed me something, even though they lost.

Dodgers have to give the ball to Kershaw. No point in saving him for a possible Game 5 or the bullpen. The Nats can certainly afford to save Scherzer for a potential Game 5. Wouldn't surprise me to see Kershaw be Kershaw and Scherzer to be Scherzer and advancement by Washington.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Was pissed to have to head off to bed before the 8th inning of the Giants game last night, but was glad to see I did in the morning. It was a great end to the game, but if I'd stayed up for the whole marathon, I'd have been too wired to sleep until Wednesday morning.

Giants may not have a bullpen and much power, but they got a whole butt-load of what my high-school coach called "want to."

6. SoCalJoe

The pitch count was high, but with the dumpster fire that is the Giants Bullpen, Bruce Bochy should of left Moore in there.

Joe Maddon's teams are versatile and athletic, but what he brings in terms of clubhouse culture and chemistry can't be understated. He hasn't won WS yet, but the fact he turned Tampa Bay into a power and now has the Cubs on the doorstep of the pennant speaks to how special he is.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Well, a tip of the hat to the better club - the Cubs took what the Giants GAVE them ($@#*&^% gave them...). If not leaving Moore in (who hadn't given up a hit in 4 straight innings), let Law work through the seeing-eye single that Bryant led off the 9th with. Top of the 9th was a microcosm of the Giants' entire second half - 32 blown saves this year and one the night before. Boche should've known better and his moves surprised me. That, and throw a strike, Lopez.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bochy's managerial performance over the years has guaranteed him HOF status, but the 9th inning was ridiculous. Why he didn't start the 9th with Romo is beyond me. Bringing in one shell-shocked pitcher after another was strange.

I'm with Nev, though, and I've said it many times before, the Giants are woefully lacking in power and relief pitching. Starters, defense, and contact hitting get you only so far.

Can't bring myself to root for either the Dodgers or the Cubs, so I'm hoping now for the Nationals to defeat Cleveland in the WS. That statement should pretty much guarantee Cubs v. Toronto

9. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

I, like the lot of you, am weary of the Cubs bandwagon riders and true fans alike. However, as a fan of the game, having a Cubs/Indians World Series would be pretty special on many levels.

And, yes, I don't have a horse in the race for the World Series...in fact my horse decided to trot around the track and finish with the #1 pick in next year's MLB draft. Ugh.

SoCalJoe and dcheather like this.
  10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Don't know what you folks are talking about. Baseball ended on 10/4.

astroevan, encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FS1 has the lamest pre-game program in history. I swear, I could pick three other guys on this site and we could be three times as good as these humpties. Biggest LOWLIGHI so far: Frank Thomas talked about his difficulties in post season. Pete Rose to The Big Hurt: "How the hell did you get into the Hall of Fame?" Then, to the rest of the panel, "How'd he get into the Hall with those numbers?"

While the panelists are forcing embarrassed chuckles, an old man in San Antonio yells at the TV, "NOT BETTING ON BASEBALL WAS A GOOD START!" What a maroon.

I now have a rooting interest in this game. There was a great field, great speed, good hit, zero power guy who played about a half season with the SA Missions a few years back. Somewhere, after the Padres got rid of him, he developed the power. So, win, lose, or draw, I'm rooting for Trea Turner.

12. SoCalJoe

I'm not going to lie...I NEED the Cubs to win. I'm in hiding from my obnoxious Dodger friends today. All I got is reminding them they haven't won since '88. The only problem is the last time the Cubs went to the WS, World War II just ended, and the last time they won there were 46 States and Henry Ford just produced the first Model T :confused:

BarryWhite and encorespanish like this.
  13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Cubs have curse breaking Theo Epstein behind the scenes and the Indians have Tito. I probably won't watch another MLB game until Spring when the Red Sox and Nationals are back playing, but I hope it's the Indians and Cubs in the WS. There's nothing like seeing your team win it all when you didn't think it was possible in your lifetime. Those cities will be so happy and will be able to watch baseball again in a more relaxed state--at least that's how it was with me when the Sox finally won.

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  14. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the Model T? :cool:

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Y'all stop bad-mouthing Don's first car.

Just heard Bartman was 13 years ago. Where does the time go? I'm anti-Cubs. Baseball needs a curse, especially since the Sawx were let off the hook.

HatterDon likes this.
  16. jumpkutz

I was a bit surprised (well, maybe not, considering the manager) that a) Scherzer didn't get it done and, b) Dusty lifted him (that NOT surprise I mentioned). Be that as it may, it's down to the Cubs, Dodgers, Indians and Jays. I'll watch as I can, but not like I would if St. Louis was still playing. I'm not at all happy with the way the Dodgers performed against the Giants in those final 3 regular season games in SF. I'm not saying they tanked, but Dave Roberts was pulling starters early, position players, not pitchers. They didn't seem to try too hard to give the home team that much difficulty. For that reason they're the only club still playing that I hope lose. But the truth is we didn't deserve to be in the post season. And as it turns out, neither did San Fran. As I've stated before, I'm not your typical Cub-hating Redbird fan. I won't get my panties all in a wad if they finally win it all. Between them, one of these team's fans will be celebrating the end of a very long trophy drought. And I'm cool with that.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, I figured "The game starts at 7. Surely it'll be over by 1030 at the latest," but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Instead we had the longest 9 inning game in the history of post season baseball.

And yes, there were a lot of visits and pitching changes, but the major reason why post season games last longer than regular season games is the extra 60-90 seconds between half innings for TV commercials.

jumpkutz likes this.
  18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Got tickets for Game 3 of the NLCS. The last time I saw the Cubs play at Dodger Stadium, Arrieta threw a no-hitter. Arrieta is supposed to start Game 3.

Go Cubs Go!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Cleveland's staff is exposing Toronto's weakness. No matter what stuff the opposing pitcher has, no matter how tight the game is, no matter what the game situation is, the Jays keep looking for the long ball. When that happens, you are sooooooo easy to strike out.

Go Cleveland.

Off to watch the Cubs and Dodgers. I guess I have to go with the Cubs in this one, although I've never been enamored of their "aura." More than 60 years as a Giant fan tells.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Clayton Kershaw.