Baseball 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out how the Cardinals suddenly produced a magic number bordering on a single digit. Ain't gonna complain, though. Just gonna relax and try to enjoy it. I am hoping we get the Angels in the World Series. A long shot but, hey, we've been long shots this entire century, yet we still seem to be playing deep into October. C'mon Albert. Make our dreams come true.

2. jumpkutz

Oh, and I'm not surprised the Astros are coming around. Jeff Luhnow's track record in St. Louis speaks for itself.

3. jumpkutz

Made the playoffs today. Again. And nobody will pick us to win it all. Again. Just the way we like it!
    12 in '14!

4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

And the Astros are guaranteed not to be the worst team in the league for the fourth straight year.
    Thanks Arizona!

5. jumpkutz

It's a long way from happening, but I must admit I'm starting to drool at the prospect of an Angels-Cardinals World Series. It's almost October. And these three guys are the smartest men in professional sports today. cardinal brain trust.PNG

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Believe me, I'm not excited about the Giants visiting Pittsburgh for a one game playoff in October. However, Madison B. will be on the hill for the Giants and its his game to win.

Also, congrats to the Cards / Nats / Os / Halos. Are there any Royals fans in here? Good year for Missouri baseball.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Kershaw will now have to get it done in the playoffs to reach the rarified air of being in the discussion of the best of all time, but it's okay to acknowledge brilliance while it's happening. First pitcher ever to lead MLB in ERA for 4 straight years (granted the DH has skewed that achievement somewhat), but first pitcher in 134 years (not a typo) to win 21 of 27 starts. That said I can't stand the Dodgers and hope they lose.

Wildcard game on Tues/Wed.
    Oakland at KC & San Francisco at Pittsburgh. Hard to pick against the home team in either, but Lester of Oakland and Bumgarner for Nev's boys are a couple of top notch lefties.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

I'm excited for the playoffs and it would be nice to see KC and Pittsburgh pull through in these wild card games...no offense to the Bay Area fans, obviously! Just nice to get some fresh blood!

On a different note, I'm super excited that my Twins finally got rid of Gardenhire today! How a manager can survive 4 straight 90-loss season is beyond me.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Always hoping for an Orioles-Giants World Series. I can be happy after every game.

If HatterMom is watching, I'd also be happy if the Angels won it all.

10. nevzter

Epic one-off between the A's and Royals last night. I watched from about the 6th inning 'til the end and saw a Royals club battle and battle. I don't think the A's collapsed so much as they just were 'outrun' by the Royals (7 stolen bases in a playoff?!?!). Loved the Kauffman crowd as well - couldn't see an empty seat at midnight in the 12th inning. Kind of like the "small ball" Royals going forward, not to win it all but I'll watch (plus the classic blue hat / white "KC" logo has always been awesome). Also, I'm pretty sure George Brett is still drunk.

encorespanish likes this.
  11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I can think of more than a few who can give them a run for their money. Some of them live in my city. ;)

Happy for KC. There's no way you can tell me that after a 30 year drought, they'd have felt like they scratched their playoff itch had they lost a one-night-only, play-in game. Tough for Oakland, as they are the king of bad beats in the playoffs in the last decade, but at least they make it regularly.

I'm rooting for a Baltimore v Pittsburgh World Series and I hope the O's beat them mercilessly. I still hold a grudge from losing to those "We Are Family", painter's hat wearing assholes in game 7 in '79. And yeah, I realize there probably isn't anyone on the O's squad that had even been born then.

12. nevzter

"painter's hat wearing assholes" - classic.

escobar was all the richer during the drive to, and after, those painter hats won as well....

13. nevzter

i'm still laughing to myself over the "painter's hat" quote. that is legendary.

come on giants.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

@nevzter congrats on your Giants. But figures the other one game playoff wouldn't be as fun. :(

15. jumpkutz

Bumgardner was huge last night. He's always been underrated in my opinion. The one and done's are over, now the real fun begins. If my memory serves me correctly, we've given Kershaw some difficulty in the past. If that continues, then it depends on which Adam Wainwright shows up. If he's getting the curveball over where he wants it, I like our chances. If not, well, we all know what happens to curveball pitchers when their stuff ain't working. Nobody is picking the Cardinals again. Which is just the way I like it. This is an experienced playoff team, and that counts for something. If they execute, they'll be very tough to beat.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Both the Giants and Cards are very dangerous as underdogs in the NL.

The way the Royals won has got me a little nervous. The Halo catchers are terrible at throwing base runners out. The key will obviously be my boys keeping a less than average batting team off the base paths.

The O's and Tigers series should be a great one.

Checked the schedule and bummed out that even if the O's advance there won't be a playoff game in Baltimore Oct. 9th when I'm there. Fingers crossed it will be the O's and Halos opening up at the Big A on the 10th.

17. nevzter

Man, that was unexpected. Not Bumgarner's performance but the fact a recently anemic offense hung 8 on the Bucs. Peavy has been outstanding over the last two months, and if the real Tim Hudson can please stand up, please stand up, please stand up, I like the Giants to make this a series. The Nats are loaded though, and the Giants will need to have everything lined up to advance b/c the Nats are the better club.

Tigers / O's and Dodgers / Cards should be 5 game series each. I think the Angels will handle the Royals in quick fashion.

18. jumpkutz

I agree with everything you just said Nev. The beauty of the playoffs is that you can truly expect the unexpected. Somebody does something in a key situation, or gets hot at the right time and, poof, form and tendencies go out the window. David Eckstein, Jeff Weaver and David Freese come to mind.

19. jumpkutz

And Matthew, since you brought up the grudge you hold for the '79 Series, might I remind my Fulhamite brothers and sisters of the '85 Fall Classic. Although I'd still rather play the Angels in the Series if we get there, part of me wants the Royals to get there, too. Can you say Don Denkinger? I think you can.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In reading to the blind of San Antonio and the Hill Country this morning, I was pleased to tell them that a member of the A's was gushing that AL163 was the greatest game of baseball he's ever been part of or seen.