Barack analysed, and DNC begins campaign

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 8, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Some interesting insights on the amazing appeal of Obama.

Glad I didnt say that.

And the DNC switches '08 target from Dubya to McCain

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Obama dominated every contest this weekend including Maine which was supposed to be Clintons and now the media is saying he'll likely sweep tomorrow. Yet on Super Tuesday the espoused status quo was that Virginia will go to Clinton along with Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania.

But if Obama does indeed sweep tomorrow and then wins Hawaii and Wisconsin he'll have won the last nine (10 if you count Virgin Is.) contests. Will that be enough momentum to win Texas and Ohio? Or will there be a backlash?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

or will there be cross-over voting by Republicans to push Obama over the line? There's a much clearer distinction between the politics of Obama and mcCain than between Clinton and McCain. She's probably as conservative as the Arizona senator.

Interesting to see what'll happen

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think Hillary is winning with poorer voters because she has a track record with universal healthcare, childcare advocacy, working mothers, and economic prosperity (through Bills tenure). Obama communicates a message of hope which appeals to the more wealthy and more educated. He is also the most eloquent speaker which appeals more to the wealthy and educated. Kind of a superficial analysis but I'm not sure many voters or the pundits do much more.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One interesting point I heard today was that Obama has been winning more states that the Democrats have little hope of carrying in November, while Clinton has done better in those states that the Democrats have a chance of taking from the Republicans in November.

The problem with that observation is that it came from a professional election analyst -- probably one who said that we'd be looking at a Republican landslide for Rudy and a Democratic landslide for Hillary. I'm with Mo; I think her self-styled superficial analysis has more validity than what the pundits are coming up with.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Don't know about that. He's won more states and he's won them all over. North east, deep south, midwest, north west. Also Obama has won by very wide margins in many places where many of Clintons wins, particlularly the major ones have been by 10 or 15 points. I think this shows alot of resitance to her in various places.

7. pettyfog

[​IMG]

- Fox 26 Houston
    Obama opens two campaign offices in Houston

Perhaps they missed that little 'check-off' item from Soros' folks.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we got a call a couple of hours ago informing us that Hillary was going to be in town. The caller ID said "South Carolina Call." Hmmmm.

Didn't have time to talk because the dog show was on.

Will find time to vote in the Demo primary though. It'll be fun to pick the person who'll get 38% of the Texas vote in the general election. Waaaaahoooo!

[oh, and nobody in Texas -- including me -- knows who 'Soros' is or gives a rat's ass]

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I think one thing that voters have found appealing about Obama is that he's actually spent time and energy on even the reddest of states. (I remember seeing an article about a Dem super delegate in Nebraska who said he'd support the first Dem to pay the state any attention, and that was Obama.) Given that the eventual Democratic nominee is going to win New York and California and all the traditional blue strongholds regardless of who s/he is, the political capital Obama is generating through that sort of outreach might potentially be helpful in swing states in the general election *if* he gets the nomination.

10. pettyfog

Well, now......

I seriously considered posting that screen cap in 'world News' as I knew it would cause Don some pain. But it's a fact, not some conjecture, not an opinion and NOT SPIN...and it raises a couple questions:

- If some volunteer has the credentials to open a campaign office, one would think that person would have the smarts to see how that would play out PR-wise.

What's worse is that the same station has a different clip of a different office ALSO with a Che poster hanging on the wall behind the desk.

- WTH is with Texas Hispanics that they would idolize Che? Is there something we dont know about our own country?

AND No... I dont, in any way shape or form, think Obama condones Che-worship or would think those posters/flags are funny.

And I dont think Don doesnt know who George Soros is, either.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm not so sure about the "Clinton appeals to the poor" and "Obama appeals to the middle class" thing. Here in MD, at least, it is the opposite. Obama's speeches about hope are what the poor want to hear and Clinton, with her background, is appealing more to the liberal "intelligencia." I think part of it could be that, while health care matters to the poor, having jobs matters even more.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll vote in the Dem Primary - it is by district and my district is >80% African American (who are, in this state, >80% Obama supporters), and frankly, I don't have strong feelings either way on the two candidates.

12. pettyfog

Holy Crap! Just watched Barack's Wisconsin speech.

That, other than the obligatory BDS talking points, could have been JC Watts. * Sigh *
    Hell, he IS the new JFK!

He's an amazing orator, and Hillary is TOAST! And unless the Conservatives get their heads out their asses, so is McCain.

This, you Dems, is what happens when you actually put up more than some token/extortionist black for office.

He didnt say a damn thing about 400 years of ANYTHING, he speaks to the future.

And, while Ed Rendell actually might be right about white PA voters of the past, when anyone hears Obama speak, and he speaks like he did tonight, if that doesnt move them to support him.. well, then, the Democratic Party Big Lie all of us Conservatives have recognized for years, will prove out.
    But I dont think that will happen.. he WILL capture the bigots, if he can get them to listen.

And I dont know about Texas.. or even PA, but I guarantee Obama takes Ohio. Ohio Dems are somewhat practical, but they LOVE CHANGE. Even Ohio Repubs LOVE CHANGE.. despite what the Dems say, it was GOP vote {or the empty tick box} that got a Dem Senator and Governor in office.

Other than maybe Cleveland and NE Ohio, we get tired of freaking corrupt establishment do-nothings.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Digression: totally off-topic...but with Petty's description of Obama's quality oratory skills, I had to throw out my opinion that Obama sounds like the former WWF wrestler The Rock.

14. pettyfog

And Penn Jillette has worse news for Hillary.

{Better click off and go somewhere else after Just that one... or you'll end up listening to an hour of Penn's comments.. they're great and you cant easily turn 'em off.}

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

This is true, I think.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Barack Obama: The most electrifying man in political entertainment!

17. pettyfog

Interesting that Clinton's Ohio campaign focuses on the NorthEast sector of the state... maybe it's not obvious to those LIVING there, but to a guy who grew up in SW Ohio, some cities in NE Ohio are so outspokenly 'whitebread' it's almost scary.
    {My youngest son lives in Canton and he says it's not my imagination.}

I seem to be almost alone in my opinion that Obama could carry Ohio.. maybe I was wrong. Still a lot of Union Members and ol' fashioned Democrats.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm curious, 'fog - what do you mean when you say "whitebread" like that?

19. pettyfog

Every meaning and nuance of the term.. some of the biggest closet-bigots I ever met.. and I grew up in an 'Appalachian resettlement' town. And with one side of my family reflecting that as well.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Ahh. That explains why I was confused - the way I've heard the term "whitebread" used (sometimes short for "white bread and mayonnaise") it carries similar connotations to "WASP".