Barack: A New Review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 6, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

While searching for stuff to put on an "Obama Scandal Thread", particularly in view of his association with Saul Alinsky's organizing themes.. which are bound to be brought up, I ran across this:

The New Republic: Creation Myth
    by John B. Judis
    What Barack Obama won't tell you about his community organizing past.
    {pf}.. and probably SHOULD!

Never mind the head and sub-head, the writer looks into the frustrations and challenges that caused Obama to leave 'Community Organizing' as a dead end thankless task and enter politics in order to actually get something accomplished.
    Note the intended -or not- reference to Alinsky ideas on the effectiveness of the 'charismatic leader'.

To me, it put to rest problems with the Obama connection with Alinsky's methods, which to me always caused a mixed reaction. Alinsky's ideas to put the community in charge of its own destiny with guidance from behind the scenes {which is problematical in itself} were admirable; the desired end result ..not always.

What comes through in that piece is that Obama shares a lot of angst and experiences of both McCain and Palin. Like McCain he worked inside a system that didnt meet his ideals.
    Unlike Palin he didnt, or couldn't, do much to change them as encountered and in place, rather putting the problems -on hold- until he had the power he felt he needed to make a sea change.

No matter you're pro or anti-Obama, a good insightful, even sympathetic, read.

Ref: wiki Saul Alinsky

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Note: Alinsky died when Obama hadn't yet celebrated his 11th birthday. I doubt they spent a lot of time exchanging organizing ideas. But I await with baited breath the right's revelations of secret conversations between Obama and Leon Trotsky, Benedict Arnold, and Attila the Hun.

Is that all you got, 'fog?

3. pettyfog

Did you actually read what I wrote, and the article... or are you just shooting from the hip, AGAIN!
    EXACTLY WHAT in the above post offended you?

Get that? You imply that I'm obscurantist... what do you call that!

4. pettyfog

5. pettyfog

well... no. But it applies to the email "I know Sarah from when.." missive.

And... btw, this was the key phrase in that part you quoted:

Because he couldnt. He was at the wrong level to have any influence in the outcome. He needed to be able to create/dispose/hire/fire, etc.

6. pettyfog

heh..

Globe: Son sees father's handiwork in convention

What pisses me off is all I would'a had to do is a google news search!