Australian Open Anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Am I the only person who cares and has watched the Australian Open in the last week and a half? Great match last night between Lindsay Davenport and Alicia Molik. Davenport won 9-7 in the third set. So, does anyone care about tennis and this tournament?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In prior times... I might have been. Even or esp wimmins tennis because I can identify with the skill level as a non-playing spectator.
    Men's tennis.. seems to me.. has nuances that i cant follow, sorta like Cricket.

Now, however, I have TWO underachieving Soccer clubs to look out for.

3. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks for the honesty guys. I must be the only one.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No.. you SHOULD'a said. If not, why not. Which implication, you notice.....

6. madrat

madrat New Member

watched some of the davenport molik match last night- hadn't seen davenport in a long time & she seems to have dropped a lot of weight... guess she's trying to get a little lighter on her feet to compete with the younger girls...

tennis is a great sport- usually i'll get stuck into wimbledon- the us open & the french... for some reason i've never watched the aussie open much at all. i'd definately watch if roddick plays federer

oh- also- tennis is one of the only sports where i enjoy watching the ladies play as much- if not more than the men. mens tennis is good- but sometimes the serves are so powerful it makes for points which happen way too quick. the better ladies players have some great rallies & still hit the ball awfully hard.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, it is probably because of the fact that the matches are on LIVE so late at night or in the middle of the night. There is little or no action on during Primetime.

As for the chances of a Roddick/Federer final, I think it will happen. Although Roddick is gonna have his hands full with little bitch ass Leyton Hewitt. The Aussie will have the crowd on his side, but I think Roddick will get past him and into the final where he will play Federer and probably lose unfortunately. Federer is about as unstoppable as they come.

The women's draw is interesting. I want to see Serena just bounce Sharapova. I can't stand Maria. I bet it is is Davenport-Williams final. In a final I am putting my cash on Serena. We will see though.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

This could be the tourney that Roddick finally beats Federer.Roddick is better than Federer its just that when you lose a couple of times to the same player sometimes you dont have the confidence going into the match. Just like the Eagles they were better than the Panthers in the NFC Title but, they lost 2 times before that and that hurt them.Roddick is a great player if he can get a win against Federer he could go on to win Wimbledon and US Open.(Roddick does horrible in the French Open it would be a good tourney just to get to the final 16).

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am American and all, but Roddick is not better than Federer. He has the capability to beat him, but I think Federer is the better player. Roddick needs to improve his all-around game to be able to consistently beat Federer. It would be nice to see Roddick beat him a few times to develop a rivalry between the two. It's not a rivalry yet as Roddick has not beaten him in a major.

10. madrat

madrat New Member

have to agree w/chicago tom here- federer is definately better than roddick- but i'll qualify that by saying at this time... i think roddick has more potential physically- & who knows- a year or two down the road he could turn it on & be the better player. but federer is just so good overall- roddick will have to upgrade his overall game to pass federer for #1.

11. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Alright, well i'll admit that i watched some of the men's quarterfinal last night. It was in the fifth set so i decided to watch the rest. I guess my complaint is the same stupid complaint many people have about soccer...i get bored watching it after awhile, so if i ever catch a men's match in teh fifth set or a women's in the third i'll watch the end, but i can never watch the whole thing.

edited....for those of you who want to watch the replays today

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

What a night or morning, or tennis. Serena beats Sharapova in three sets and fought off three match points and believe it or not, the 26 match winning streak of Roger Federer is over thanks to Russian Marat Safin.

Tonight, Andy Roddick takes on Aussie conoutryman Lleyton Hewitt in the semis. The winner plays Safin in the finals. Go Roddick!

13. madrat

madrat New Member

can't believe federer lost- but safin is one of those players who on any given day can beat anyone... was really looking forward to a roddick/federer final- but would look forward to roddick/safin if that happens...

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Safin is the Goran Ivanisevic of this generation. When his head and mind are in the match, he is almost unbeatable. However, his mental game is brutal. He is tough to beat though when his head is right.

I would honestly not be surprised if Hewitt beat Roddick tonight. I hope it does not happen, but it might. Hewitt is playing well and finally healthy.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Safin is the Goran Ivanisevic of this generation. When his head and mind are in the match, he is almost unbeatable. However, his mental game is brutal. He is tough to beat though when his head is right.

I would honestly not be surprised if Hewitt beat Roddick tonight. I hope it does not happen, but it might. Hewitt is playing well and finally healthy.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

17. madrat

madrat New Member

when is the roddick/hewitt match?? sounds interesting enough to check out if the time works...

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Even being on the West Coast as you are it will be late. First serve is at 2:30AM Chicago time. So, for you, it will be at 12:30AM. Too late for me. I will have to read about it in the morning. Or maybe I will not be able to sleep. If that is the case, I will watch a little bit.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

All men should do themselves a favor and tune into ESPN Saturday night at 8:30 PM CST to watch the final of the Australian Open. I am not saying to watch because of the tennis, but to see Marat Safin's girlfriend. She is absolutely georgous. I think she is Russian as he is and for as many times as the camera combed over her during the semifinal replay this afternoon, you will love tuning in when you see her. WOW!!!!

20. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

DAMN YOU TOM

I was watching the semifinal this morning at 5:30 a.m.