Australian citizen executed in Singapore for drug charge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JohnnyCash, Dec 2, 2005.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

That's too strong a reaction for a drug offense. It's easy to justify the jail sentence, but I don't think anyone saw the hanging coming. Then again, Singapore is a notoriously strict country.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You 'in country' you play by their rules... dunno why that's so hard to understand.

Mebbe that's why "strayans live in Ozland.. and we live here and the French live in...Wonderland.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I think the sad thing with this was that one article said that he was doing it to make about $30,000...which he was going to use to pay off his brother's debt for his heroin addiction. His brother attended his execution yesterday.

The whole country is nuts, they denied his mother a request to give him a hug before they hung him but allowed her to "shake his hand".

I think you've got a crush on the French Petty. Its like in elementary school, the little boys who like the little girls don't tell them they like them, they pull their hair, throw rocks at them and make fun of them.

5. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Australian citizen executed in Singapore for drug ch

In all fairness, its not just Petty...there seems to be a disturbing widespread, irrational hate for the French in this country - its even worse than England. My Father-in-Law genuinely hates them but has probably never met a Frenchman or woman in his life, and has certainly never had the pleasure of visiting the country.

I never thought I'd live a country that dislikes the French more than the one that makes them arrive from the tunnel in a rail station called Waterloo. ie England.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Australian citizen executed in Singapore for dru

Sorry to disillusion, but I have worked in France and with French. All or some as nice as can be...

And I'm not throwing rocks at the people... I throw rocks at their 'intelligentsia'.

They seem to operate from an entirely different mindset. And their concern with 'democracy for the underprivileged' masks an elitism and pretentious view of art, that is more strange than most.
    I mean REALLY! - Jerry Lewis???!!! And the 'cinema verite' of mid 20th century.. it's crap!*
    The Italians did it better and actually said something.

* Though it gave us clues as to how the French think, in the broader sense.

I should have bookmarked a reference to an EU poll that shows the average Frenchman's disdain or apathy toward his own country... the only one showing such -as a whole- in the EU, as of then.