Arsenal v Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 6, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Last match of the season ... although it seems as though Fulham has gone on vacation for the last two matches already.

oh, and SHEESH, I go away for a couple of days, and NOBODY puts up a match thread for Sunday? I mean, we resurrect a thread devoted to slobbering over Spurs, but nothing for OUR Whites? We should give a crap that a London side got a Champions League slot just under their big brothers? It is to chuckle.

Anyhow, getting back to Fulham for a moment, we have never won at any home ground of Arsenal even back during Alfred the Great's time when we were both in the Pleistocene League. Further, we've won only one away match all season, and that was on opening day. So, with all that in mind, I predict:

Arsenal 0 Fulham 1 -- the only goal scoring when Bobby Zamora hammers a shot that cannons in off of Dempsey's backside. Arsenal's goalkeeper punches himself in the face trying to clear it and knocks himself out as the ball trickles in.

An then it's off to Hamburg.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

End the season's scoring the same way we began it. Works for me, COYW's.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

'Bitchen'Moan'!!

Late TV sched posts:
    May 9, 2010 11:00am Arsenal vs Fulham Sportsnet All Live
    - Sportsnet is carried on Rogers Cable Canada

May 13, 2010 2:00pm Arsenal vs Fulham Fox Soccer Plus

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

FS+ is reairing the game on delay at 1pm for those interested.

[And I'm sorry Don. Usually I'm the spark plug in starting these things but I've been busy with this senior conference -- why didn't you attend?!?!]

So where are the stories about Arsenal's collapse this year? They've won once since Easter Vigil, and four times since March began -- over the tough, tough opponents of Burnley, Hull, West Ham, and Wolves. And they've kept just three clean sheets in the process.

Why oh why is this game on Sunday? I'd LOVE Fulham's chances had we played this on Wednesday or last Sunday. No way does Roy field a full XI as I'm sure the varsity team is en route to Hamburg already.

Which is a shame because Fulham at full strength stack up quite well with Arsenal. Consider this as another example of Roy's impact: Arsenal have scored just once in the past 3 encounters; and they traditionally run riot over us.

And so, we'll probably draw 0-0. As long as we're ahead of Stoke and Blackburn in the table, for principal's sake, I'll be okay with it.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I wouldn't play anybody that is going to play in Hamburg except for Pantsil and Schwarzer. We can't risk injury or any kind of fatigue at all. Really, I couldn't care less about being in the top ten. We have bigger things to look forward to.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fulham play on Sunday?
    :banana:

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am pretty sure they are contractually required to field a team on Sunday. I am not sure the team is really required to play.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Since Woy will field a team of reserves, I say no one except Schwarzer from the starting XI gets a run, and maybe not even him. Cue mass bitching from someone in the league, and two fingers from MAF to whoever complains.

Yet, because Arsenal has the heart of a lion :3d funny:, I am still hopeful for a result in this one. No predictions, just a good hope.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

There will be a few spuds fans not happy with the lineup (95% of reasonable Spurs fans will understand). I will be totally shocked if one player that will start in Hamburg will even be near the bench for this.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What a tool.

Anyway -
    The best I hope for is a sloppy draw, but more likely I see a 2-0 or 3-0 result for this fixture in favor of the red club that HD fantasizes over during his post retirement wet dreams.

Arsenal dont want the shame of being leapfrogged by their rival so they have something to play for. Roy will get the boys organized and I am sure he will fill them with a good spirit, but against a motivated Arsenal in the Emirates - it is going to be tough.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

... and the wings of a bat?

(Yes, I know, a little obscure, but maybe someone will get it.)

Going way off-board for the lineup:

Stockdale
    Stoor, Baird, Smalling, Shorey
    Riise, Andranik, Greening, Buchtmann
    Elm, Okaka

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The "reserve team" far exceeded my expectations in their last two matches, so why not, 1-0 Whites. The reserves end the drought away to Arsenal.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Upon further review,...

Arsenal still cries too much.

14. CincyCottager

CincyCottager New Member

Yep...they take after their manager.

15. RDG

RDG Member

Fulhamish: if we won against Arsenal, sending out our second string (considering we have NEVER taken all the points away to the Arse!)

Personally, I'd take a loss, so long as we get some silverware Wednesday. (Yes, I do realize that the two cannot be connected.)

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Arse the Whinger, who lost the 'Maudlin Mgr' award, this year, to Rafa {following in best tradition of Houllier the hollerer}
    :twisted:

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Ugh. That was to be expected, but not much fun to watch.

Based on squad selections, it looks like Davies will get the start and Dempsey will come on as the super sub unless Bob or Duff can't go on Wednesday. Not sure I like that as I think Dempsey gives us more but we'll see. Can't wait for that match.

12th place, Europa finals, FA quarters. All despite a boatload of injuries. Not a bad year.

18. CincyCottager

CincyCottager New Member

Just brutal. I knew it was coming but still don't like it. Oh well, as the announcer said: Fulham have bigger fish to fry this week!

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

As someone said of another equally forgettable match earlier this season, "We move on, and never let us speak of it again."

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was eating up about 500 miles of IH10 today and missed it. We had inadvertantly maxed out our DVR, so if it recorded, I missed that, too.

Sounds like the first real crap match that Schwarzer has had for us. I don't like this string of losses at the end of the season and before the Europa Cup Final. Wish I felt more confident about Wednesday.