Arena continues downward spiral..

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 29, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Soccernet says RBNY trades for Clint Matteus...err.. Mathis.

So this means he has a perenial sicknote and a head-case at top of salary list.

They should work well together... BEST case is he thinks Reyna can inspire Mathis, who has done little to nothing to impress since '02.
    Worst case is Reyna spends 2/3 of season injured and Mathis keeps hoping for the muse.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In other news..Prso looks to MLS
    Maybe he's another Valderrama... or is he another Matteus?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You're going to look for a long time in a lot of places for another Valderrama and never find him.

As for Mathis, you may remember me establishing the McBride-Mathis continuum -- in terms of leadership, teamwork, and citizenship -- in some other post. By the definition of this scale, Mathis is the polar opposite of what a coach and teammates want in a player. The ultimate million dollar body with a 50 cent brain. I feel for those dozens of NYRB fans out there.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts we all would have a merry christmas"

-If Claudio stays healthy he'll make an impact. (he can't)

-but Clint is perhaps the best goal scorer the US has ever produced. ('yesterday seems so far away')

-If Clint hadn't shown up the coach he'd still be in the Bundesliga.
    (he did, and he was exiled to Salt Lake City)

-but Claudio will put people in the stands (he'll most likely be seating with them)

-but Bruce Arena will be able to squeeze out a season or two from Claudio and if he can reach Clint...(IF he can it would be good for the league, BUT it seems highly unlikely).

5. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

2002 meet 2010. I think this might just work out. It could lift Jozy's morale a bit knowing that this guy was once a national hero (do you realise how many times that goal vs. ROK was shown?). I think Arena will get the best out of him and I think Reyna will be healthy. I'm dissapointed that we lost $14M. What a fucking expensive billboard! Bring back the Metros!

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I was so stoked about Mathis in 2002...wow...talk about falling off the planet. As much as I doubt it...it would be nice to see him pick his game up a level or two. He should lay off the beers til his playing days are over. :)