Anybody Use Twitter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by DawgTheDon, Apr 14, 2009.

1. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I've had a twitter account since I ran for office back in November, but to be honest, I never logged in once. I had a volunteer run twitter, facebook, myspace, etc. for me.

Since November, I do use my facebook to keep in touch with buddies I went to school with & libertarian activists, but I never understood twitter really. So I logged in to see what all the hype was about and I must admit, I've been sucked in.

The #1 reason I like twitter are all the headlines/links I get from Setanta, BBC Sport & Sky. Not a bad way to follow football, plus all the football & rugby blogs I read daily as well.

So does anyone else use it or am I the only geek here?

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I have an account but like you in the past, I haven't found a good use for it yet. I am trying to figure out how to leverage it for business, same with Facebook, but haven't spent the time to sort it out in my head yet.

What you are using it for does intrigue me though. I will have to check into it.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well I'm a geek but I dont use twitter. I dont even know what it is. Something about the name makes me not trust it, though (maybe because it's got "twit" in it). My friends keep telling me to join facebook, but I havent even done that yet. I guess I just like talking with Fulham fans too much.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't use it. Unless you can access it on your cell phone, I don't see the point. I prefer to read blogs and their comment sections.

5. Bradical

Bradical Member

I don't use Twitter, but I plan to cite it often in my book "How Far Our Communication Has Fallen"

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Brad, since you brought it up, there are two sides to that coin, I think. I agree with you in one vein.

All these technologies are good on the one hand, in that they helps us reach more people, there fairly cheap, and it has enabled people to express themselves to larger groups of folks, as well as improved the written word because they have disintermediated the telephone to some degree which did the same to the written letter.

On the negative side, they become excuses, in some cases, to having a real conversation, in business you end up being reachable 24x7 and expected to as well, and frankly they are addicting to some.

Watching 5 teenage girls, lined up against a school wall, texting each other rather than talking to each other, was the ultimate example I witnessed, in what you is wrong with some of this stuff.

Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Twitter etc.. can be great tools to find people you have lost touch with and to share whats going on with you, to those that actually care certainly, but as you allude they can be used to avoid conversation as well (which is my biggest peave with it all). It's all about balance I guess.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think it makes us communicate more, to more people, and people in farther away places. I've been able to maintain friendships with people all over the world because of all the useful communications technology.

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

That's the real bonus. I use them all for either business or for enjoyment, sometimes both. Skype has been real handy for my friends in Spain and for meetings with my broker. It's all good if used wisely.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes, but what is it about us that makes us think that anyone in the whole round world gives a crap about "what I'm doing right now"?

Twitter is the ultimate in navel gazing. Why not just go into a closet and beat off?

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

what is navel gazing?

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

All credit to all those technologies and those who use them when they come out.

We've seen some of the upside of twitter already. That said, twitter makes little sense unless you're web-phone enabled. I doubt I'll ever use it.

Just like the social sites, of which -to me- only linkedIn makes real sense.
    * how sad is it you ask peepul to be friends! Either are or arent. It just happens!

If I want everything I'm interested in brought to one page, there's always a 'MyYahoo' and I did set up rss links... guess how often I look at that.

MAYBE once a week!

Skype... too much a gadget when it came out unless you needed international phone or tailored your friends by their similar geek-ness.
    But it had its uses and was really good in wringing out VoIP apps. Now we have Vonage for most of us and magic Jack for some of us.

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

13. pettyfog

Facebook fatigue

Well, good. I'm nine years younger than the author's dad, and 20 some years older than the author. So I get to triangulate. When I get frustrated trying to find something in 'The Yellow Pages' book, I simply repair to my trusty laptop.

Of course it's purely subjective.. I mean what are 'useful and interesting updates'?

And when phone texting rates begin to even slightly resemble 'cost plus..' I might start using it.
    {BTW: I just made myself chuckle... anyone else see the 'self-interest' contradiction, there?}

14. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Thats the whole point allegedly, that its easily accessible on cell phones. They have an SMS-based interfafce, though I haven't used it.

I mostly use twitter for hassling and stalking NBA stars. I think that is what it was originally designed for, and its great for that. Otherwise, I don't really get it, as updating twitter AND your facebook status seems redundant to me.

15. pettyfog

Gee..speaking of... whatever happened to MySpace? Did it go out of business or is it now specializing only in adolescent girls and the pedos that stalk them?

16. ymmotbb

ymmotbb New Member

Last time I used MySpace it seemed very cumbersome.
    I have Twitter TommyBB is my handle, but I don't check it very often.

I do Facebook, and have reconnected with guys from high school, college, former students of mine, and even grade-school classmates as well as family members. I like FB. I joined a pretty nice group of Fulham supporters on there, too. A blog link on that page lead me to this forum.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204930047