Another Leftist Iconic cause deflated

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 11, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

From the NYT: {because it doesnt matter so much anymore, I guess}

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Interesting. It's close to a "dying declaration" and thus, I have a sense of believing what he says. But on the other hand, he may want to make a few $$$ before he kicks it and doesn't care for the veracity of his statements.

But, what the hell does this have to do with any current "leftist" cause?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good question, Nev; especially since it's been a good 20 years since anyone believed that the Rosenbergs were innocent.

This just in, Lillian Hellman was a Stalinist!

4. jmh

jmh New Member

How long will it be until we, as a society, are ready to be done with the word "leftist"? I think it's about time for it to go the way of "royalist" and "red" and "pinko".

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I hate to disabuse you young'uns but it DOES matter.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. All of our beliefs and character as a nation is based on what came before.

American History is to the point in my opinion where the core events in our history is submerged under a blanket of faux issues and memes.

What makes me upset is that Don knows this as well as I do and he pretends it doesnt.

This occurred during the 'Commie Witchhunt' of the post war period. What most of you get out of it is that the idea that conservatives were overturning every rock and finding soviet agents and sympathizers. Adn hurting innocent people in the process. The Rosenbergs were the poster people for this 'Anti-McCarthy' sentiment.

In hindsight, some of us believe that McCarthy was an obsessive hack and went far too far in his activities. Which ended of course in the infamous 'Hollywood Black List'. Yet McCarthy was right in his basic premise and the KGB papers made public in the nineties support that.

Some of us wish western democracy had a little less fear of the MArxist bear and taken them on in the sunshine of free ideas.
    Some... including some here.. evidently continue to follow the old party line...

'No, there's nothing under that bed and there never was'

And now we're supposed to do away with even the tags placed on idealogues?