'Annapolis' Aftermath

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 5, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The Condi Rice dog and pony show delivered the result everyone expected.

Nothing

I was a little pissed off that it even went on, as the same thing has been done time and again... with the same result. Even when there was some 'Proclaimed Agreement' later to be broken on one pretext or another.

Look.. I'm just gonna lay it out here. The Palestinians arent really interested in a 'State' unless it includes all of Israel. The neighboring countries, which claim to support Palestinian Rights arent really interested in them having a 'State' at all. Period.

The current situation is far too valuable to them as a propaganda tool, and loss of that would cause their populace to start looking at THEM instead of the 'external common enemy'

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE:

Do the outside islamic states not like the Palestinians for some reason? I understand the Israel vs. Palestine thing, and the rest of the mideast vs. Israel, but I'm short on the history of friction between the rest of the MidEast and any angst towards a potential Palestinian state.

Do you mind elaborating?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, smokin', ask yourself this: Since the various Arab states had control of the West Bank and Gaza between 1947 and 1967, why didn't ANY OF THEM promote a Palestinean state when they could have created it overnight.

Peace between Egypt and Israel was quite an achievement, but it's childsplay compared to Palestine. Here's why:

1. any Palestinean leader who forsees a state without a unified Jerusalem as its capital will not live very long.
    2. any Israeli politician who forsees Eretz Yisrael without a unified Jerusalem as ITS capital will never become a leader.

Arabs living within the confines of Israel enjoy full citizenship rights. Arabic is an official language of Israel. Outside of these borders, Palestineans will be considered, AT BEST, 2nd class citizens everywhere in the Arab world. The only nation in which they have a voting majority is Jordan, which is why Jordan was the #1 target of Palestinean terrorism prior to the Intifada. [Google "Black September" to see where the name came from.] As to "not liking the Palestineans," it's been a number of years since this was my area of study and I read a lot of Arab and Israeli political journals, but -- at least through the mid-1990s when I was still a member of the Middle East Studies Association -- it's not an exaggeration to say that your average middle-class Arab professional tends to look at Palestineans the same way that your average middle-class European tends to look at Gypsies [or in England, Tinkers].

Hope this helps, Smokin'.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

That makes sense... Thank you for that.

Its actually fills in a blank and I didnt have to read it twice.

I consider the few seconds it took me to browse your response a succuess. Appeciated.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, now that you've got the essence of the current situation.. and you're a conspiracy buff, you might want to look back to recent history.

The BEST chance of a state was with Arafat. And it could have happened but he would have ended up dead, sooner. Some think that was the cause of his death, anyway. And Israel DID NOT want him dead... draw your own conclusions.