An apology to British sportswriters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jan 8, 2016.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've trashed Brit "sports journalists" many times for just making crap up, but I'm apologizing for taking that high moral tone. What has caused me to take this stand is this headline from Bleacher Report:

ARSENAL TRANSFER NEWS: WENGER TALKS TROY DEENEY AND ALEX OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

followed by this beginning line:

Arsene Wenger has called reports linking Watford attacker Troy Deeney with a move to Arsenal "rubbish," and claimed speculation tying Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Chelsea are also nonsense.

Oh, the pain.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report was started as a collection of fan blogs. It doesn't purport itself to practice journalism. That hasn't stopped the public from confusing them with those who do and affording their content the same credence though.

"The company, also known as B/R, specializes in creating and curating content about trending news topics, with an emphasis on delivering opinion-oriented analysis and multimedia programming via varied content formats and mobile technologies."

As blog reporting & cable news opinion shows have gained traction, journalism as a practice is all but dead. There are a few traditional stalwarts who maintain those standards but we, as consumers, have affirmed we don't value them or differentiate between the two with every click of the mouse & remote.

I know you're fond of that soapbox, but you're a decade too late, my friend.

nevzter, tim and HatterDon like this.