Altidore to Villareal

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I agree Lyle. Didnt he also go back to Italy at around 10 years old to train? So much, if not most, of his football development was done in Italy. The US would be lucky to have him on the MNT and should not feel spited that he chose otherwise.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You said it. What did the guy do? Sell top secret information to Al Qaeda? Kill someone? Fart in Obama's general direction?

He chose someone else. That's how it goes. We'll even tell him "Your loss, sucker". Geez.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

No.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Brede Hangeland is about as American as Rossi is, come to think about it.

Rossi did go back to Italy at a young age, although his childhood was mostly spent in the U.S., I believe.

I also don't hear too many people complain about Vedad Ibisevic, Hoffenheim's deadly forward, having chosen Bosnia over the U.S.... when he could have decided to join the USMNT. Subotic at Dortmund might turned down the U.S. as well. The horror.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with Lyle [did I just type that?]. Rossi playing for Italy and Subotic playing with Fredonia isn't half as weird as David Regis playing for us. I think he only set foot in the country long enough to kick a ball and then flew back to France on the next Concorde.

People choose what they choose; Rossi grew up in a household where they worship Azzuri. Their football team is the ONLY thing that unites all the disparate corners of the country, as well as all the expatriate Italians around the world. Remember the scenes in Australia in the last World Cup?

Besides, this is a thread about Jozy.

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Unfortunately I think Ibisevic was already capped for Bosnia before he would have even appeared on the USMNT's radar.

None of this, however, is as weird as Chris Kaman playing for the German basketball team. I have my doubts as to whether or not he had even been to Germany before the Olympics.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Well it used to be a thread about Jozy.

I thought Jozy played a nice match on Saturday. He was not outstanding but he did not stand out as being out of his depth either. He was in position to score a couple of times and his header forced a goal mouth scramble leading to the first Villareal's goal.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Or Becky Hammon playing for Russia. Sorry, back to Jozy.

9. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Yeah, speaking of Jozy, can I get a clarification?

Why isn't he Champions League eligible? He's not cup tied. Can someone pass along the eligibility rule?

Thanks, or as Jozy now says, gracias.

10. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Before the group stage, each team is required to put together a roster that lasts through the entire group stage. Jozy was not included on this roster, because it was sent in, I believe, right after he was transferred to Villareal.
    Villareal's roster must include Spanish-born players as well as players that played in their youth system, so that further limits the number of spots for someone like Jozy who doesn't start (without injuries) and help fill any of Villareal's quotas.
    Villareal will submit a new roster for the first knockout round. It's possible that he could be included on that roster.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

FFC - Fingers Fucking Crossed!!

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

have you been sniffing your after-shave again? What's this doing in a thread about Jozy Altidore?

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Read the previous post, in regards.

C'mon Don, follow the bouncing ball.

14. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I never knew domestic and youth system players had to be included on the roster. How does a club like Arsenal pull that off?

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

BC. Arsenal buys them young enough that they qualify as "Arsenal Youth System" players.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Seems like a good fit for Jozy.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Had Villareal not had so many injuries in the early season, and had Jozy NOT looked so good in his early appearances, he'd have made this transfer before. I don't know how they'll spin this in the states, but this is a very good move for Jozy and Villareal --not to mention Xerez.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Villareal gets to keep him nearby while he gets to stay in Spain and still learn the style of La Liga. Plus he is going to a team where he will be seeing playing time, but since they are already in first place, he won't be expected to carry the team.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Since not playing a single minute since his loan to Xerox FC, or Xerses, or whatever the hell its called, now 2nd division Levante want to grab Jozy on loan due to their injuries and the fact that Jozy hasn't played since his loan deal. Apparently the deal could go down despite being outside the transfer period.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/s ... index.html