Altidore to Villareal

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, Pires isn't one of the "older" guys on the team? :shock:

As soon as I saw that Jozy was joining a side with Pires in the squad, I thought, "this can be nothing but good for our guy." Pires is class top-to-toe and a provider like him has got to be excited about the prospects of working with a young finisher like Jozy.

The Yellow Submarine is fighting for La Liga's championship, so I doubt if Jozy will get much time on the pitch this season, but I think he's already come a long way in a short time there.

Thanks for the link, BarryP.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

On life in Spain, Jozy says:

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

No wonder he always has that cheshire cat grin on...

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is amazing to me -- I mean the guy is still a teenager -- but after Villareal's recent dip in form, their gaffer started our guy up front on Sunday at Recreativo Hulva and he contributed to a 2-1 win for the Yellow Submarine.

I NEVER figured he'd start for a title contending La Liga side while he's still 18. The upside on this kid is out of our view.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am not knocking Jozy's performance this weekend because he reportedly played well but from what I read he got the start due to multiple injuries at the forward position. Even if that is true Jozy has done very well to keep himself in contention and make a good showing when given the opportunity. I am hoping Setanta will show a replay of the match this week.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'd love to see him make the Champions League roster for the knockouts...was Beasley the last Yank to play in the field for a Champs League side?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think they still have one more match BEFORE the knockout round. Look for him to play in that match for sure.

Beasley is the ONLY yank to play in a CL Final, but Gooch has played this season, and several others have since DMB featured for PSV.

10. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

I could be wrong on this, but I think I read somewhere a while back that Villareal (and all clubs) had to submit CL rosters prior to the start of group play, and Altidore wasn't on that list. I think it was partly because he had just been transferred, and each team had to have a quota of domestic born players. So I think he can't play in their last group play game.
    I don't know if teams submit a new roster prior to the knockout stages or not.

11. nevzter

Rosters are reset for the knockout rounds, so there's a chance he'll be added. And the CL instituted a "homegrown" player rule this year (I believe it was this year) which mandated "X" number of players from the club's country be included.

Thanks for the response, HD. My question was poor but you still answered it and then some, as I meant to ask if Beas was the only field player to play in the knockouts.

I still can't believe two kids from Jersey started up top for Villareal the past weekend.

12. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Interesting that the rosters are reset. Any idea when the new rosters will be due? I've seen rumors about Rossi possibly going to Juventus or being bought back by Man U (don't know if they have any validity). Might give Jozy more of a chance if he leaves, though I kind of doubt he does.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Assuming management sim games get this right (and they generally do get things right, other than the arcane MLS roster rules), the rosters don't simply reset. Villarreal originally had to submit a 25-man CL-eligible roster prior to the start of group play, including some quota of domestic players.* Between group play and knockout play, the club will have the opportunity to make up to three player-for-player replacements to the eligible roster, while still meeting the quota. In other words, if Jozy is going to be eligible to play in the CL in the spring, he will have to replace someone else who was eligible in the fall. Since the word seems to be that Villarreal aren't expecting much player movement in January, it seems unlikely that Jozy would take someone else's spot on the roster. (That'd be different if Rossi were sold, of course.)

* Per FM08 it's a quota of 8 domestic players including 4 players from the club's youth system. Looking at their Wikipedia page, there are ten Spanish players, and Diego Lopez, Marcos Senna, Bruno Soriano and Juan Carlos Martinez came from Villarreal's youth system.

14. nevzter

cool. thanks for the clarification, jmh.

15. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Wow, good work. Interesting that 4 have to come from the youth system. If Fulham were involved in a competition like this (one can dream), who would be a product of the youth system?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Whatever Villareal's problem is, it AINT with their ability to score. They caught a very hot Getafe team [drew at the Nou Camp and beat Real Madrid in their last two matches] and were three down at the half -- AT HOME. Anyhow, they got three in the second half to get a point, and stay up near the top. Jozy started again, and played the full 90. I don't think he featured in any of the goals.

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Jozy should have gotten the game-winner but Rossi went for goal and the shot went out before Jozy could tap it home. Very entertaining last 10 minutes to the match.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I think Rossi and Jozy probably push each other. You know Jozy would probably like nothing better than to show the turncoat what a mistake he made. And/or maybe that is just what I would like.

Rossi seems like a selfish player. Which is kind of what you want with a scorer. Jozy had some good chances at headers, and nearly put one in before a great save deflected off the keeper and ended up at the feet of Pires for the 1st goal of the comeback. Quite a scrambling effort by Villareal. Before they even tied it, you could tell that they intended on coming back not to tie, but to win. Confidence.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Why all the childish negativity towards Rossi? "Turncoat"? Why the need to hate this guy?

He isn't American. His parents were Italians living and working in the U.S. They weren't immigrants. It's not that big a deal.

Let the boy be.