Al Fayed to sell Fulham - Reuters

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Mar 28, 2007.

1. sfm

sfm Member

In late November after the full year Statement, Harrods' Board approved a £72mm dividend to Mr. Al-Fayed and his family. I was ever so slightly disappointed a higher proportion did not extend to FFC's transfer budget and that might signal the Chairman's inclination towards future spending. Put differently, if Mr. Al-Fayed spends only £3mm net of the reported Boa Morte fee when the global market for luxury goods is at its peak, what happens to FFC's transfer budget if and when that falters?

We have all read at least a dozen of these FFC sale rumors over the decade past and it does put a new spin on the old "Fulham is a selling club" jibe. Yet, I wonder whether Lakshmi Mittal would consider buying FFC in whole or part? Mr. Mittal, clearly not short of a few Bob, is reportedly a keen FFC supporter. Thus far his connection to sport is limited to having funded Mittal Champions Trust, which develops aspiring Indian Olympic champions. Should he take lesser day to day interest in Arcelor Mittal following the merger which his son Aditya structured as CFO, Chairmanship of FFC might prove a interesting diversion. I suspect he is much more interested in continuing to dominate the world Steel market.
    If he is unhappy about Mr. Al-Fayed's cash flow support of FFC, he is the one supporter who could actually try to do something about it.

Then again, maybe I and others simply pine for the days when Club Chairmanship was something to be aspired for; an emblem of civic respectability. Although he was the new wave of foreign owners, Mr. Al-Fayed better typifies that tradition of Club Chairmen than his successor plutocrats have done as exemplified by subsidized away coaches, the Community Sports Trust and the return to The Cottage. Perhaps Mr. Mittal would retain the continuity of the Community club spirit at FFC but with greater financial resource. Even a neutral would have to admit a FFC investment would benefit Britain and possibly Mr. Mittal more than would another £2mm donation to "New Labour."

BTW, I am here for today's match in case anyone needs something from the Club store, or the local Boots, or even Harrods, please send me a PM.

Viva el Fulham