Again, does anybody want Stek?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Aug 5, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/spor...ten-stekelenburg-missing-fulhams-open-7566222

encorespanish likes this.
  2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Back in the spring, Heather and I were debating the merits of letting Joronen and Bettinelli compete for the backup job this season. I certainly never thought we'd see them competing for the #1 job instead. I guess Magath is sufficiently impressed to think that either is on par with Stockdale, thus moving the more expensive (and older) option. I still question moving a guy who you know has won promotion with teams at this level between the sticks before. But if FM is right, then it's a smart move.

As for Stek. Around the time Dempsey was on the market and moved to Spurs, I really started noticing that bigger teams are going away from players 28 and above, regardless of stats. Obviously you can find some exceptions, but there's a noticeable trend there. It seems to have extended to keepers as well. Now 31 isn't that old for a keeper, but for one who's career has stagnated to the point that you really don't know what you're getting? And he's an injury risk? There just doesn't seem to be much of a market. Especially at the price that Stek is probably seeking.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, but he's a Dutch international keeper...he's class.

encorespanish likes this.
  5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

It does appear that in two years time we have down-shifted from the senior citizen class to the freshman class between the sticks.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not sorry to see the ass end of another Martin Jol "for no apparent reason" signing.

dcheather likes this.
  8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I can think of one apparent reason (Dutch), but it's not a good one. Rumor is he'll go to Monaco on a free. At least his wages will come off of the books.