Abby Wambach to miss Olympics

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Abby Wambach suffered a broken leg during the final US friendly before the Olympics. The US team won the match over Brazil 1-0 on a header by Natasha Kai but lost their leading talent early in the second half. This is going to be a huge loss for the USWNT in my opinion.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I caught the last half hour of both Saturday's match in Denver and last night's in San Diego. Abby will definitely be missed. Kai is talented but undisciplined and, from what I saw in those two half-hour stints, Rodriguez is willing but not nearly so strong.

It was nice to see the women playing so well together, although I'm having difficulty seeing someone else wearing #13. My heart still belongs to Mrs. Garciaparra, but as another former left footer who preferred wearing that number, I always kept my eye out for Kristine Lilly.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I thought the US team looked a little lost going forward without Abby in the second half. So much of the play in the first half ran through her and after she left none of the forwards came back to link with the midfield. I do wish Abby a speedy recovery and hope Pia can sort out the changes that may be necessary without Abby available in the short time she has.