A problem with boys...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Okay, I will qualify my statements first. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be an expert.

The erosion of recess has several causes

1) kids at recess need more supervision than in the past. at my children's school all kids must be in view by an adult at all times. this means more money to hire more playground supervisors and is probably due to fear of child abduction, bullying, and litigation

2) disciplinary measures are much more limited than in the past. no corporal punishment, no detention, and less support from home. The result is some teachers take away recess as a form of discipline.

3) Curriculum and teaching hour requirements in our state make it difficult for a school to get a 45 or 50 minutes of recess in. Or so the schools say.

4) recess is used as a time to bring kids that are behind up to speed. this seems to be in part due test result pressures and a lack of support at home. for the same reasons it is used to make kids complete their incomplete or undone homework.

It is a shame though. Especially since I'm certain fresh air and exercise is good for learning. Oops there I go again, pretending to be an expert.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

How do you know when Don feels his value systems are under attack?

Tell me this, Don... should we blame Reagan? Bush? Barry Goldwater?

Or MIGHT some of this trace back to Benjamin Spock?

Not ALL of it, and not saying that's what he MEANT to happen... but can it be traced to the precepts contained?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Wow, I'm quite surprised to see Spock's name here. While I understand that our society is basically raising their children from their book of choice, I wouldnt blame Spock. Spock is from Cleveland and my children's pediatrician for the first nine years was Spock's partner. I didnt know Spock or his book but his partner of several decades could not have been more laid back, unjudgemental, competent, reasonble, and aware of what is ultimately important when it comes to the health of children. I have to assume Spock was similar.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, you mean you didn't know that Spock's book on child care -- the biggest medical best seller of all time -- was designed to create the self-indulgent baby boomers who protested the war in Vietnam and undermined the presidency of Richard Nixon. I guess that the parents of those of us baby boomers who served there never had a chance to read the book.

Spock's one of the oldest Conservative "bad guys" -- along with Margaret Meade and a couple of others. You are obviously far younger than Pettyfog -- but then ....

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Thought the hospital line was brilliant.

Having just come off my k-12 education I have conflicting emotions on all these issues which I won't subject all you to. But I will say I had several male teachers and they were critical. My most effective teachers were able to be forceful and grab my attention and respect and for reasons perhaps worth investigating my male teachers were able to do this in a way my female teachers could not. I did however have two teachers a math and english teacher respectively who were true Iron Women and hit me between the eyes many times. They were very forceful, effective, and will always have my respect! The right women could do the job but throughout my education often it did take men to be effective and reach me.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Do either of you READ?

Shall I translate THIS:
    I swear It's been there all the time.

Don, the more I argue with you, the more I feel I'm more right.
    ;)