A Crew Wet Blanket Saturday

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Sep 9, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

For tonight's game there was a forecast of scattered showers and thunderstorms... and I forgot and left my poncho in the other car. But I had a Crew lap robe which sufficed until it started pouring down, and then Chicago scored.

I dont know why I put myself through this and I cant really express my disgust and frustration. But this comment from another {s}CrewLoose fan struck a chord:

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Thanks 'fog. You made me support the US version of Fulham! So, is that our chances of reaching the playo-off gone? The crew site said before the game it was a must win match.

COYCC.

3. pettyfog

It's not GONE, altogether... but it's looking bleak. Fulhamish, wot?

Maybe it WAS a bad idea to get another Fulham Fan on board.

I blame it on Mikey... soon as the Red Bulls started looking good he said he was following the Crew.

4. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I was bummed to hear about the lost, but not surprised. Chicago has been "burning" it up lately.

*hyuck hyuck*.

Horrible puns aside ... they still have a chance. The biggest let down about the Crew this season isn't that they get beat left and right, it's that they can't get more than a flippin' tie every time they go out on to the pitch.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

Can we send LS an email and see if he can loan out some of our fringe players? Maybe Jimmy can go to get some match fitness.

It seems like the punters think our chances of the play-offs are slim.

The on-line poll I found and blindly voted for CC in puts the smart money on the Fire.

Chicago Fire 48.08%
    Colorado Rapids 30.77%
    Columbus Crew 21.15%

I like that our stadium is in the middle of town too. I need some more historical info on the crew! Who is the ugliest person ever to have played for the crew?

For Fulham I would have to go with either Doug Rougvie, Iain Dowie or Peter Beardsley.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Les, have you had a close look at Konchesky?

7. pettyfog

Forgive the absence, been a little under the weather.

Our ugliest player... that's problematic. I dont really recall all of them in that regard, and I've seen every player in person (from about 25 yards anyway).

And none of them are 'Zoo-Ugly', meaning there'd be no value in the 'Collector World'
    But I'd have to say that 2 of the top three are current starters are as homely as we've seen.

Frankie Hejduk... like most he comes across in head-on face-shots as not too bad but in action, he's a fright. His roster picture isnt indicative. A profile shot would give the idea. this is mostly because those file shots are taken at preseason and in match fitness, there isnt an ounce of fat on his body, probably related to how he can run the entire pitch, end to end for 90.

Same with Duncan Oughton .. Affectionately known as 'Beaker' for his profile.

I'd say the all-time giggles would go to Chilean Sebastian Rozenthal.. whose face not only reminded of Bobcat Goldthwait, but his body-build as well. He had great ball skill but was a wreck of a physical specimen. He had to train 4 hours a day just to stay in shape.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

Sorry to hear you've not been so good.

It is hard to remember ugly players, but the truely hideous stick out like elephant men in a room of beauties.

Frankie Hejduk looks OKish (not saying I want a date or anything).

Duncan Oughton is fairly ugly. Especially as they would have made an effort for his roter picture. Shame he is a midfielder, genuine uglies should be centre backs. But, hell, it's a face only a mother could love. Right, I now have a fav player. Go on Big Dunc (5'9" is nearly big).

Rozenthal is great. He has the look of a failed 80's glam rocker!

Thanks 'fog.

9. pettyfog

They DID make an effort... we love him for his wit and 'Beaker-ness'!

Do a google search using
    Sirk Duncan

What's amazing is Hejduk and Oughton BOTH bleed the black 'n' gold, despite their SoCal backgrounds. Oughton being a kiwi who went to school there, and Hejduk being an unrepentant 'Surfer-Dood'!

Both not only like the Crew, but living in Columbus, as well. In fact that's a problem sorta... too many ex-players hang around and are given Crew jobs out of loyalty.

Speaking of Sirk {a great writer} and Dunc...
    This!

Which is probably why the conjunction of Duncan, with 'make fun of' in a published thought is always combined, somewhere, with the word 'affectionately'