7 vs. 7 soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Aug 23, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Does anybody play (or has played) competitive 7 vs. 7 soccer? How does play develop differently than 11 vs. 11? I assume it's more offensive minded, any other differences one should be aware of, if one is playing this format for the first time?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

OK, 7 V 7 and 5 V 5 are both similar. Simply put, you have a smaller field but 7 V 7 should have regular sized nets and is outdoor and 5 V. 5 is outdoor with smaller nets.

Anywho, 7 V. 7 is all about sprinting and most importantly the first touch. First touch should be into space and for the strikers the next touch is usually a shot. All about the offense! Love it.

If they use a normal sized width for the field then crossing is key and about 50% of the match.

Any other questions?

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I can back Mike up (on this or if he gets tired on the pitch).

Much more offensive minded at 7 v. 7. A fast game that is much more about touch. We sometimes play small goals at that number, but the defense then packs it in and makes it more difficult (and less fun) to score. A definite bonus for smaller matches is more touches. You will be nearly constantly moving also and not playing an established position on the field most of the time either. Good to hear that someone else is entering the fray. We have some decent birds (including Mrs. PCB) who play with us guys on occassion, and they are good. Don't think there is a guy out there who does not respect them.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks. I played for the first time in I think 14 years. My touch was poor, even though I've been practicing juggling for the past month. I was very good at giving the ball away and passing was poor, but blame some of that on the poor field. :3d laughing:

The only thing I was pretty good at was running all over the place and I could still read the game defensively and got in the way of their big guys. Not bad for a little girl. :tongue:

We still won 4-1, despite my brillant giveaways to the opposing team. We have another game tonight. I hope I improve.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My first coach way back in nineteen ought sixty-six had us doing 5-a-side in the gym with ice hockey sized goals and 7-on-7 on a half field outdoors. The goals were about 5 feet high and 10 feet wide as I remember.

The point of the 7 a side was to stop us from thinking that we were tied into a position on the field and to learn how to keep space. He didn't want defenders and attackers, he wanted footballers -- predated Holland's "total football" by about 10 years.

The point of 5-a-side was to learn how to use the various parts of the foot to get spin. Any ball above the shoulders was considered into touch and a turnover. I never managed to bend it on the turf the way I could on the floor. Got most of the free kicks inside but never outside.

5-a-side was very popular in the late 60s; there was a nationally televised knockout tournement that sold out Wembley's Empire pool.

As long as your having fun, DCH, you're winning!

How tiny are you, anyhow? :wink:

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Height wise, I'm not that small, 5'6 (which seems about average). Weight-wise, I think around 110 lbs, and that's all muscle baby! :laugh: I can still shop in the misses section--yippee.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sounds like my missus -- the all muscle part, that is [she's 5'11"]. Like me, she works out around 6 times a week, but unlike me, she can bench press a mid-sized Buick!

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I was joking about the muscle bit.

Tonight's game went much better, got a goal and an assist in a win. Touch was much better and no giveaways. Mike's tip about getting your touch into space helped a lot, even nutmegged a fella. A beer on me when I get to London. :rock:

9. Zack

Zack New Member

7 aside games are right up there w/ full field matches...at times alot more fun..almost like what indoor football is to the NFL....i guess you could say that about indoor soccer then.....but playing 7 aside is alot of action attacking, defending, and for my fello keepers out there ALOTTTTT of shots....glad to hear your having a good time w/ the 7 aside..wish my adult league squad would play that more when we train..but sept. 10th starts our season and quest for promotion to the Premier league!!!! haha...minus all the money, riches, fame, and of course playing the sport i love for a job~!!

10. americanmike

I know what I'm talking about...............sometimes! Glad I could help, and that first touch is what the game is all about!

As for the beer, I'll take a pint of Carling! :banana:

11. americanmike

I played a 5 V. 5 match last night and even though I'm running everyday, its really hitting me that nothing replaces playing in matches, especially these short games.

I'm quite sore today but getting prepared for the famous MIDDLESEX vs. SURREY match.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Do I have to keep telling you running everyday is not good for you! :roll:

You need to have at least one rest day a week. Resting is just as important in a fitness regime as "training" itself.Muscles need time to heal and recover. You're stretching everyday, right?

13. americanmike

Ok, sorry, you took me too literally!!! :cry:

I rest two days a week but those days keep changing based on my every changing work out schedule. BUT I DO REST I SWEAR. :3d tongue: