25 years ago today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tim, Aug 9, 2013.

1. tim

tim Active Member

The Edmonton Oilers traded a guy named Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings, in what has to be (still to this day), one of the biggest trades in the history of all sports. The L.A. Times shares this article and video on the deal:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...-kings-20130809,0,6641029.story#axzz2bUWjDago

Most of you know that I'm a Kings fan, but I think it's fair to say, if you're a hockey fan at all, that day was pretty remarkable.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember when the Kings first started -- pre- The Great Gretzky -- and routinely drew the smallest crowds in the league. There was an exchange between two people whose names I can't remember that went something like this:

A. What in the world gave the NHL the idea that professional hockey was a good fit for Southern California?
    B. They had demographics that said that 300,000 Canadians lived in the area.
    A. Yeah, well the must have all moved there to get away from hockey.

Tim, I grew up watching the NHL, and I'd watch it again if they'd bring back the streak that followed the puck. Gretzky was a thing of beauty on the ice, and it is remarkable that the entire league changed the style of play to keep him on the ice. If he had shown up in the 50s or 60s, he would have been battered senseless and lasted only a half season. The NHL was smart enough to realize that they had the greatest marketing tool they'd ever had and he MUST stay on the ice.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm going to punch you in the face next time I see you...seriously. Blasphemer.

4. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Hockey for me is just not a TV sport so this was a blip on the radar of history for me.