2023 Summer Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 30, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Looking back at the transfer window it felt terrible for a long time, but in the end I don't think it was that bad. Reading my initial post on this thread it is sad that the thought of Mitrovic leaving wasn't even in the realm of possibility, but that ended up defining the transfer window. Given his attitude and desire to leave, I don't know that Fulham could have gotten a better result. He wanted to leave, he would have been poisonous if he stayed, and they got a good chunk of money for him. It was the best of a number of undesirable options.

Fulham didn't pick up a quality replacement for Mitrovic with Raul being a good backup option, but not a replacement. While Fulham could have done better here, every squad wants a top quality striker so it's not like they had their pick of good options.

Looking back at what I thought Fulham needed they did a reasonable job:
    • New wingers - I would have liked another winger for the left side since Willian is the only natural left winger and he is one of a couple players who seemed to want to leave, plus he's old, so who knows what will happen with him this season. Traore is an exciting edition on the right side and a good pick up.
    • Alternatives at LB and RB - This didn't get resolved until the very end of the window, but Ballo-Toure and Castagne are exactly what was needed in these slots.
    • Alternative Attacking Midfielder - I thought Pereira would be out for the start of the season, but he recovered faster than I expected from his injury, so this wasn't quite as urgent as I originally thought. However Iwobi fills this role nicely and provides some additional cover on the wings as well.
    • Backup to Mitrovic - see above
    • Backup to Palhinha/Reed/Lukic - Nothing here
    • Upgrade at CB - Fulham got a great season out of Ream, but an upgrade was still needed. Bassey seems to fit the bill.
    Most of the necessary changes were made. However, it seems like how it all happened could have been better managed. Fulham now has three players - Palhinha, Tosin, and Willian - who clearly wanted to leave and now have to stay. I don't know what kind of impact that will have in the locker room, but it seems like it will make things tense. Fulham should have either gotten deals done or been clearer with their "no". On top of that we have a manager who hasn't signed a new contract. Also, if Rodak wasn't going out on loan the third keeper was a weird addition.

With the exception of striker Fulham looks as good or better than last season. Of course, scoring goals are an important part of the game, so that is no small issue! If others can start finding the back of the net Fulham could have another successful above-mid-table season. However without goals it will likely be a more disappointing, but relegation free, season.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

This transfer window is a Rorschach test for Fulham fans. I cannot remember a more turbulent one across the board. I think several things can be true:
    • We sold our talisman for a decent fee, acquiescing after a protracted saga that was only ever going to end poorly.
      • He was not replaced in any way, shape, or form.
    • We nearly sold our heart and spine at the 11th hour for a nominal fee, when, if he was to go, he should have gone much earlier for a much higher price.
      • This was incredibly stupid by all parties. Any serious football club does not allow that to happen, and then fail.
      • It laid bare in many eyes how there is just zero foresight/planning by the front office to push on at this level.
    • We have the oldest (or damn near) squad in the league, and did nothing to lower this.
      • The players we signed, although established, were given longish contracts and have zero sell-on value to them
    • Although I dont buy the conspiracy the Khans want to sell, I do believe the Riverstand stand debacle is creeping into albatross level, and funds raised will be used to pay that off.
      • This is fairly common for clubs; see Arsenal...

SoCalJoe, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Anthony Knockaert had his picture taken in a Fulham kit, but he won't get to play in it. His contract was terminated by mutual consent and he then joined Valenciennes in the French Ligue 2. He's seen promotion with all three English teams he's played for (Leicester, Brighton and Hove, and Fulham) but couldn't find success playing for Fulham at any level.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/03/knockaers-leaves-fulham/

5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

6. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

nevzter, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I agree @astroevan , if we've learned anything over the summer is that contracts are only good for leverage - they don't really ensure someone is staying anywhere. Still, better than a stick in the eye!

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good bit of business to give those guys a raise.

nevzter likes this.
  9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The official squad list was released a few days ago:

Goalkeepers:
    Bernd Leno
    Marek Rodák
    Steven Benda

Defenders:
    Fodé Ballo-Touré
    Calvin Bassey
    Timothy Castagne
    Issa Diop
    Tim Ream
    Antonee Robinson
    Kenny Tete
    Tosin

Midfielders:
    Tom Cairney
    Tyrese Francois
    Saša Lukić
    João Palhinha
    Andreas Pereira
    Harrison Reed

Forwards:
    Bobby De Cordova-Reid
    Alex Iwobi
    Raúl Jiménez
    Rodrigo Muniz
    Adama Traoré
    Carlos Vinicius
    Willian
    Harry Wilson

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

No Luke Harris?

11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Players under 21 don't have to be registered so my understanding is that Luke Harris (18 years old) can play for the squad but not count toward the official 25. He is still listed on the first team squad list, but not part of the official 25 list.

12. nevzter

Thanks man - didn't know that.

13. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Why would Palhinha sign a new contract just to make more money for three months if that makes his move to Bayern more difficult (Fulham can ask for more money)? Perhaps Fulham decided that paying him more now was a good way to ensure he's happy until he makes the move, and they have a handshake agreement not to raise the asking price? I can't figure it out.

14. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

sacffc, SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  15. nevzter

Sweet. I hope this has a kick on effect in the squad.
    COYW

sacffc, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.