2023 Summer Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 30, 2023.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hudson-Odoi looks to be a done deal in next 24-48 hours according to Sky.

nevzter likes this.
  2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

For all the negative vibes and uncomfortableness, we might actually be in decent shape. As long as Mitrovic is committed and neither of our fullbacks go down with significant injuries that is. I suppose the same goes for Palhinha. I'm certain we'll pull in the handful of deadline day deals as usual, but we seem to have a fairly solid base.

nevzter likes this.
  3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Cavaleiro has FINALLY left Fulham. He's gone to Lille on a permanent deal:
    https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/august/10/cavaleiro-joins-lille/
    Thus ends one of the more long term disappointments in recent memory. Joined on loan back in 2019 from Wolves, then permanently in the winter window. Contributed just 11 goals and 8 assists over 3 seasons. Was on load to Alanyaspor last season.

That leaves just Knockaert and Kongolo as players on the first team list who haven't had their photo taken in the new kit.

nevzter likes this.
  4. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Looking at the team list on the website, it seems that Harris and Stansfield have been promoted to the first team. Great to see. Also, they won't yet count against the 25-player squad limit.

nevzter likes this.
  5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

SoCalJoe and astroevan like this.
  6. daddude7

Traore joins. We need at least one more winger.

I wonder why we're not being mentioned in the context of Tyler Adams. 20 mil pounds is a steal for him. Lukic is still not quite up for this level, and when Palhinha isn't out there, we're soft in the middle.

nevzter, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I know Traore is supposed to be beyond his prime and someone who never lived up to expectations, but I have to admit - I love watching him play. There is always a bit more of an edge when he takes the field. When Fulham had to face him I was always worried something bad was about to happen. I'm really excited that he's on the team and can't wait to see him take the pitch.

Also, I still like listening to 311. So there, I've now bared every dark secret I'm hiding. It is all out there now.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I like Traore’s energy. Regardless of form, he pushes forward and makes things happen.

9. astroevan

10. daddude7

Bye Mitro.

nevzter and astroevan like this.
  11. astroevan

Like the comment. Don’t like the situation. Like @MicahMan said though, it was not going to end happy for everyone.

nevzter likes this.
  12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The day was already so crap that I skipped reading about football and now I get to wrap up the day with the realization that Mitrovic is gone.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66283815

Great that they got a record fee because that was as good as Fulham could have hoped out of this situation once Mitrovic decided he wanted to go. And they've got time to spend that on some other signings.

Still feels like a real gut punch after the club stuck with him last season and all his antics at Old Trafford. F you too Mitro. Sorry, too pissed to wish him well. Maybe I will later.

stlouisbrad and nevzter like this.
  13. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Are we better with Mitro? I'd say yes.

Will I miss Mitro? Nope. Not even a little.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    MicahMan likes this.
  14. daddude7

The more I consider this, the more I think without Mitro, Marco will have to change the system. Vinicius can do some of what Mitro does, but he's not a like-for-like replacement. The odds Jimenez will recover from the psychological trauma of having his skull smashed aren't good, if he hasn't yet. Muniz is a failure at this level. Stansfield is a talented forward but not a target striker (yet).

What are the options? I think two forwards rather than a #9 is something Marco will try to test, maybe against the Spurs in cup competition. If we want to take advantage of the strength which are our wingers, it would have to be 352, but then we're thin at CB. A 442 with a diamond? Traore cold play off Vinicius but Willian, Wilson, and BDR would be left on the bench.

In any event, without Mitro and his finishing from crosses, we'll have to build up throughout the middle or cut in from the wings more often. I'm glad it's not my job to figure all that out. I can only imagine Marco's frustration with not having the players he needs two weeks into the season.

SoCalJoe, MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Given the current market conditions, I don't think you can replace what a fit Mitro brought to the squad with 50million (i.e., a proven goal scorer in England). Insane, but I think this is the case. Accordingly, I agree that the system will change unless a like for like is somehow unearthed. They've had a month or more to see this coming down the pipeline, come on Fulham!!!! The extreme ends of this teams transfer policies are maddening...a few years ago they buy a ton of players, and this season, after a successful campaign, the club's been on defense all summer fending off suitors for everybody from Silva to the tea person. A more aggressive strategy, or maybe seeing results from a more aggressive strategy after the entire world tries to buy your first team, would have been encouraging. I'm not a negative supporter, but this season is going to be tough absent significant changes.
    ....and how many weeks has Hudson-Odoi's signing been "imminent"!!!!!!!
    COYW

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  16. daddude7

Not to be a negative Nancy. I think we have a very strong team core. And some talented youth (Stansfield, Harris, De Fougerolles, Odutayo, O’Neill, Ablade, Godo, McFarlane). But we desperately need experienced depth. Cards and injuries will happen. And we should abandon the idea that we can keep the same system. I have faith in Marco if he gets the minimum of the support he needs.

I’m seeing that we’re asking about Moise Kean — it would be a mistake. I cannot believe that he’s someone Marco asked for. And his stats are terrible, too. Makes no sense.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  17. daddude7

Also, silver lining, Mitro will no longer be taking our penalties.

astroevan, sacffc, SoCalJoe and 2 others like this.
  18. SoCalJoe

Was going to say the cliche ‘the Sun came up this morning’, but since it’s been raining here for 24 straight hours I’m not entirely sure it has :rolleyes:. @daddude7, great point about the penalty taking (Andreas would be my choice). I would hope Mitro would be smart and gracious enough to make a statement to the Fulham supporters, but he’s gone and we got to move forward quickly (we can’t wait and make a desperation move in Jan). @nevzter No doubt about Hudson-Odoi, it’s been 24-48 hours literally for 3 weeks :mad:. I would love to see the Khans make a legit run at Balogun, but lighting up Ligue 1 doesn’t necessarily translate to Prem success.

**For the love of Gawd I don’t want to hear we miss out on a player because the ‘paperwork wasn’t in on time’ like we have read in the past.

19. SoCalJoe

Some official news!!!!

Jay Stansfield is loaned out to Birmingham…Having any news about a signing or loan our way?? Hell hasn’t frozen over yet.

EDIT: For the betting degenerates in the UK, apparently you can bet on transfers and the books aren’t taking anymore bets on Hudson-Odoi going to Fulham, which means everyone thinks he’s coming, but mind-blowing we can get this one across the line.

nevzter likes this.
  20. astroevan

I’ve only heard of rumors of interest regarding Moise Kean of Juventus and Duvan Zapata of Atalanta. But there’s always rumors and they’re only rumors.