2019 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by astroevan, May 23, 2019.

1. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

FYI the Jamaica/El Salvador match was pretty much blase. However, the Salvadoran fans were very entertaining. We left before the Honduras/Curacao match. Whole stadium was pretty much blue and white given all the Salvadoran and Honduran fans. Saw maybe a handful of Jamaican fans and did not recognize a single Curacao fan. Other than the typical Houston heat and humidity, still an entertaining night out with the daughter.

Daughter asked if anyone would know about the Fulham kit. I said its likely. First place we stopped so pops could have a brew, the bartender said, "Hey, nice jersey. I've been to Craven Cottage to see Fulham before."

encorespanish and astroevan like this.
  2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

US v TnT. Same lineup as last match. Ugh.

Everybody aim your shots at Zardes’s face!

nevzter likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think Landon Donovan said it best post match when he mentioned for the first time in a long time the squad ‘played tension free, reactive, loose and having fun’. The back line looks shaky still, but a 6-0 victory is what the doctor ordered

nevzter likes this.
  4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I turned to Hatter Mom halfway through the second half and said, "Finally, the US men are playing like the US women."

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Well that was rough to watch.

nevzter likes this.
  6. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

My favorite quip on twitter was one person who responded to the US lineup saying, "Well if you're going to take the night, then I guess I will too."

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Rinse and repeat

BarryWhite, nevzter and astroevan like this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Funny, I didn't think there was a minute when we looked like we could lose our lead.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Welp, it’s hard to figure out, but our lads have somewhat righted the ship and have made it to the Gold Cup final. Granted, opposition hasn’t been quality, but the pre-tournament friendly performances were so poor, you had to wonder if we would even beat whom we’re supposed to beat. A clean sheet would have been nice, but we’ll take a 3-1 win over the alternative any day and twice on Sunday. The young guys seem to be gelling nicely during this competition, which bodes well for 2022, regardless of the outcome here. Two scores in two games for Weston McKennie has to be great for his confidence, and seeing he, Morris, Pulisic, Steffen and Areola, all 24 or under, get better
    is encouraging.

10. BarryWhite

For the first 45 the guys in red have been everything I expected and more. Great effort, playing with some grit, a game plan that is being executed and an attacking mindset.

Now they just need to finish.

11. BarryWhite

Why Roldan and Zardes? I don’t get it at all?

Jozy should be in this match!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  12. BarryWhite

The Roldan substitution now looks doubly bad.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  13. BarryWhite

I like Berhalter’s game plan but I very much dislike his substitutions!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We looked solid for the first 50 minutes and for the last 10. God knows why we stopped dictating the action after unsettling Mexico from the get.

Mexico excelled throughout in conning the ref and, of course, it was a home match for them, so ... .

BarryWhite likes this.
  15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Hand ball missed near the death...it's been bothering us and now it's off my chest. But it wasn't like the US didn't have chances to score...arrrggghh.
    HD, that sandwich meat 30 minutes you reference was a doozy though - Mexico looked the likelier side and the US was fortunate to concede only 1 in my opinion.

16. BarryWhite

3 good things

1. The early attack - They got forward often and in numbers. It’s nice to see a tactical attacking plan.

2. Reggie Cannon - I keep reading how Cannon’s influence waned in the second half but that was largely due to Mexico switching their attacking focus, and wingers for that matter, to Ream’s side of the field. Anytime you force the opposition to change their tactics that’s a win.

3. Jozy - We have no other forward in his class currently. Have to figure out a way to keep him healthy.

3 bad things

1. Roster depth - it’s currently nonexistent. We need some youngsters to grow up quick. I know we were missing Tyler Adams but Mexico’s list of missing in action was longer than ours.

2. Berhalter got out coached after the first 45- I like what Berhalter is doing but there is no avoiding that Tata’s halftime changes swung the match in Mexico’s favor and Berhalter failed to make adjustments and/or substitutions that effectively countered Tata’s changes.

3. The finishing - This match was winnable but you don’t win if you don’t score.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Been meaning to ask: is George Weah injured? Sure could have used him.

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Sargent? George may be injured (Ha!), and Tim Weah played in the U-20 WC.

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

oops ... must drink something soon ... and mute Joe Buck

BarryWhite likes this.
  20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

All I know for sure is, you gotta bury that chance Jozy had in the first half. Perhaps he will...in Qatar.

BarryWhite likes this.