1st Primary Results: Paul, Obama win!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 3, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. the MySpace Primary that is.

Might as well call the rest of 'em off!

Yeah... right!

- - - - - -
    After the news was released, one of the first web comments:
    :twisted:

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Half right anyway.

As has been pointed out, if Huckleberry and Obama end up as the candidates, you would have a hard time finding two so distinctively different candidates. The final election would say alot about where the country is and where it is going, and/or perhaps how quickly it will be going there.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and Huckabee would carry 48 states. Mass, Hawaii, and DC would be for the Democrats. Everyone else would vote against the black guy whose middle name is Hussein.

4. pettyfog

That's despicable.

Obama is a likable guy. He'll be harder to beat than Hillary would be.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yep; but that's the way this country is, and will be for as long as it takes people my age and your age to die out. If there's one thing I've learned working with young adults, it's that they don't give a crap about color or gender or sexual orientation. Problem is, they're mostly under 30. In 16 years, Obama could walk through it, but in 2008 YOU know he's a goner. The worst thing about an Obama candidacy is that the Republicans could nominate somebody dumber, less-engaged, and less-informed than who we have now and he'd win without breaking a sweat.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Wait a minute... are you saying there are dumber, less-egaged, and less-informed candidates than our current CEO... err... President?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

your attention is gently invited to:

a. Rudy G.
    b. Fred Thompson
    c. Dan Quayle
    d. Rick Perry
    e. That idjit congressman from CA who's running.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm not as cynical as Don on this, but there is some truth to what he says. I personally experienced it just last week. The term "they" gets used alot.

BUT, if Obama is the best candidate, which he may just be, I support him being the nominee. I'm not interested in who the most "electable" candidate is, just the best one.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Rudy may be a shameless exploiter of 9/11 and have some issues with his personal life, but he is NOT dumber than GWB.

10. pettyfog

In the FIRST place, have any of you noticed Dubya isnt running? How smart is it to run against 'what happened, then'... the issue is where to go now.

But to DO that you have to look at the realities and I dont think many are doing that. To say that Obama is the best candidate, you have to AVOID looking at history.. of which he has none...meaning 'involved experience'.

So which is it?

Don... Fred Thompson is 'dumb'?!!!! Your myopia-meme never ceases to amaze.

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

As a New Yorker, I have a long standing hatred for Rudy... it took me years after 9/11 to realize he wasnt a great leader. He's surrounded by corruption, the former son of a mafia boss, currently a steward of a globalist agenda, and yes a shameless fear embracing politician.

JMH is right though, although you can't tell by all the 9/11 talks in the debates he's not dumb... but WAY scarier at the helm that GW. I think Huckabee is not genius either. Everytime foreign policy comes up he mentions Jesus somehow.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Refreshing isn't it? Well at least to some, and the many that realize if BuSh can do it, well, just about anyone can.

I'm not so worried about "involved experience", but the way a candidate thinks and acts, or perhaps doesn't think or act. A President can surround themself with others with vastly more experience than themselves. It's how they process and what they do with the information provided by those with more experience that I am watching for clues on.

I am not interested in the "political machine", "status quo", or "standard operating procedure" for this election, and apparently neither were the people of Iowa.

"Change", "Unity", "Hope"? I like those ideas, but let's see what substance is behind those words.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fred Thompson leads the WORLD in disengaged. Rudy is dumb in the sense that he really doesn't realize that he reached his Peter Principle Zenith as a very effective federal prosecutor.

Maybe I should have used the phrase "unsuitable" as an umbrella term for dumb, disengaged and ill-informed. Let's review my unsuitable list of the moment:

1. Obama -- inexperience; only 2 years in the Senate, all of which he's spent campaigning for president. No other real legislative/executive experience. The Democrat's Ron Paul in that he is a lightning rod for people sick of "business as usual" and for young people.

2. Thompson -- disengaged; would have happily continued to be retired-from-politics and picking up checks from NBC if his very ambitious wife hadn't hectored him into running [and I sympathize with his lack of desire to say no to her]. Is the best example of "going through the motions" that I've seen since GHWB's re-election campaign in 1992.

3. Guiliani -- His record as mayor of NYC as perceived by the majority of voters and his real record are vastly different. Everything he claims as proof of his executive brilliance was either achieved under Dinkins or is woefully misrepresented in other ways. And his 9/11 talisman makes no sense. His decision to put NYC's emergency response headquarters in the WTC is proof that he's the best guy to protect us from terrorists? THAT's dumb.

Those candidates who are qualified through significant experience in legislative, executive, or judicial service, who have expressed clear ideas, and who have some demonstrated support:

1. Hillary
    2. John Edwards
    3. Mike Huckabee
    4. Mitt Romney
    5. Ron Paul

And now, those who are very qualified, but don't have a base, for reasons escaping my understanding:

1. John McCain
    2. Joe Biden
    3. Bill Richardson

I'm not even going to bother with the no-hopers.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hatter, cant agree with you here. Obama wouldnt walk through in 16 years because all the over 60 racists wouldnt be around. He would walk through because at that point he would have lots of experience.

I think Obama is doing as well as he is precisely because he is black. If he were a white man he would be off the radar. This country is a lot more tolerant and eager to have black leaders than you give it credit for.

Also, may I remind you that it is a Republican Administration that appointed the the first black SOS, first black female NSA, first black female SOS, first hispanic AG, first hispanic SOC (or one of those business positions), and first female SOE.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm voting for Mayor Mike over any of them.

16. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I hope thats a typo... or you should abandon that vote. : )

I hate to be critical. But he was a governer... a very effective Democratic governer, I know he's a (R), but didnt act like one. Aside, the religious speak is BS if you compare what he's done with clemencies and pardons to a set of christian ideals...

that thing with his son bothers me for some reason...
    (not only did his kid get fired for torturing a stray dog(I'm not ok with this but its not my point as i dont see it reflecting on the cadidate) but he interfered with an investigation of his own son.) I'm not sure its true, I've read plenty about it but nothing retracting or refutting the story.

17. pettyfog

My Response in ITALICS
    Not only is Don's list ludicrous... that statement takes the cake.

DK, the one-hit wonder, like Jimmah Carter and his Camp David accord, only local!

ADDED: well, I was caught up TWICE in that post. Seriously, though, I hope Bloomberg NEVER succeeds in buying his way into national office.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Huh? I'm talking about Mike Bloomberg, not Mike Huckabee or Dennis Kucinich. I really have no idea where you got Dennis Kucinich from "Mayor Mike," by the way.

Romney is closest to what? A continuation of the Bush administration? This is a guy whose idea of universal health care is forcing people to buy health insurance and charging them fines if they don't.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and if you want to take issue with my statements, don't do it by quoting what I posted and then changing it to make it look like I said something else. Yellow journalism at its best.

I expect no less.

20. pettyfog

Stand corrected! As is the post clarified. "Actually I meant to put in 'emphasis mine'" but hey!