10 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 5, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

There is folklore at every club. Special goals, special matches and special players and Fulham is no exception.

If you are a Fulham fan and out for a drink tonight to start off your long weekend, please raise a glass to former Fulham player, Rodney McAree.

10 years ago today, Rodney scored what was arguably the most important goal in Fulham’s long history. Fulham was away to Carlisle and he scored which basically guaranteed promotion from the very bottom division and we haven't looked back since. There is a Fulham song, which came from this match, that you can sometimes hear at the Cottage today: "Who put the ball in the Carlise net?...RODNEY MCAREE!!"

[​IMG]

2. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

sitting here after enjoying 80° weather on Tuesday and now seeing snow on the ground Thursday morning that is a good thought to put in my head.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Simon, I know what you mean...it's was just beautiful here in DC on Monday and Tuesday...especially with all those blossoms. Now it's low 50s with a low breeze.

What's Rodney McAree doing these days? It seems he's playing with Dungannon Swifts FC.

http://www.dungannonswiftsfc.co.uk/players.php?pid=10

4. americanmike

What was it like to those who were there, you ask??

[​IMG]

Another way of looking at the importance of this goal as explained by someone off of TFI.

Fulham played against Carlisle away(long hard trip) in a divison 3 promotion battle at the end of the 96/97 season.Fulham beat Carlisle with a last minute Rod McAree goal.Fulham were then taken over by Mo in the following summer its doubtful he would have taken over if Fulham were still in the basement....and the rest as they say is history

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

See, that's one of the reasons I love this club. You drag a bunch of Londoners up to the Rain Capital of Europe and, as a reward, you stick a stunner past the home goalie! Now THAT's caring about the fans.

Good stuff, Mikey

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

thanks Mike...great history lesson for me and others who've become supporters since that time. what a strike!!!

7. americanmike

I think when you pick a club (or in mosts cases Fulham picks you) you end up learning the history and having an appreciation for this.

For me, the Rodney goal signifies everything good about this club and how far it has come against all odds. When we scored that second goal against Newcastle this year was a similar scene but it didn't mean a tenth as much. Really.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i definitely remember that 2nd Newcastle goal by Boca. It was cool. That pic you put up of the match vs. Carlisle is cool!!!