Zat to Spurs?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by krhimself, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you on the name recognition Heather. Anton Ferdinand has quite the big name, but he has not been all that good this season. Because he has an older brother who is good does not make him all that good.

I want to buy 2 pair of $100 shoes myself. These cheap alternatives are not going to cut it. If we are going to spend to bolster the defense, let's not get the latest version of Ian Pearce, let's get some proven defenders like Sylvain Distin of Manchester City or any number of defenders from the French League.

I have said and will continue to say that there are some very good players in the French League. We need to get our scouting department to France to check some of these players out. All they need is a chance to perform.

Regardless, buying defenders from teams two divisions lower than the Premiership is not going to cut it this summer. I think Chris Coleman knows that and like us, he does have his sights set on bigger fish in the pond. Let's hope something good happens this summer.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

agree. let's do it CC

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

oh...and one more thing....get Zat out of here!!! Hell, I'm ready to pay someone to take his sorry ass from us.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I dissagree with the notion of a player automatically being cast below our standards because they're on relegated team. I'm sure guys like Jermian Defoe, Alain Smith, David James, Rio Ferdinand, Palo Di Canio, Freddie Kanoute, Joe Cole, and Micheal Carrick would argue similarly.

I do agree that Fulham need to go after more high grade players, we sell them (Boa,Steed) yet don't seem to be targeting them often enough. Bullard is the only recent case I can recall in which Fulham saw a top notch player they wanted and went out and got him. It needs to be done more often if Fulham wishes to go beyond the current status-quo. Guys like Smertin and Davies may well turn out to be useful buys but they're unlikely to be players that go beyond, come up with extraordinary performances and win games we other wise wouldn't. Hopefully Coleman will show some ambition this summer and that starts with a recognized quality centerback, rather than some value buy who may well plug a hole for a while.

I'd also like to see if we can't get Boa back for about half of what we sold him for.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not saying they're automatically a cast below. I'm saying the players you mentioned and the teams' defensive play have not been that great, and Fulham should aim higher. Shittu, maybe, he played okay in a few games I've seen--but I would really want someone better. Tom mentioned Distin, he would be good. We need someone with Christanval's skill, but not get injured after 3-4 games. I haven't been impressed with any of the relegated team's defenders for Fulham. Those players would not be an upgrade on what Fulham currently has. I'm tired of the team getting average players to plug holes in case of an emergency--call me greedy, because I want more than that.

Like I said some of them aren't bad, we just need better players than what we currently have.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If quality central defenders were available, don't you think the Scum would be using someone other than their starting right back or their starting holding midfielder to replace Terry?

If the combined wealth of the Russian Mafia can't find anyone, how can a team on a Harrod's budget. It does irritate me no end that we didn't go for Gooch last summer, but I've admitted that ship has sailed.

If we need a good central defender -- and the only one we have who can be expected to be fit week after week is Boca -- then we need to look anywhere there could be some help. Ferdinand and Shittu are not great Prem defenders, but they are Prem-quality. When those teams go down, there'll be a fire sale for them as well as Spector and DeMerit. Unless there's something available in France, like Tom says, we need a big body and we need it as soon as the season ends! Let's quit pretending it's a buyers' market.

My pick of the bunch? Shittu. He's a big guy who plays like a big guy.

7. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I couldn't agree with Don more. Hell even Wet Spam said that little Ferdinand isn't in their plans so lets get him on the cheap. If not then why can't we look for other people to fill this spot. Clearly we don't need world class, we just need better than what we got. Either way, a work in progress, but we need to tie up some loose ends.

8. mar5379

mar5379 New Member

Rumors are that we might get Distin from Man City. Sell Knight and get Distin I will take that.