Zat Knight arrested in drug raid

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Markus, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Markus

Markus Member

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I hear the British penal system is more laxed than ours. The question would be what sort of action would the FA take if anything comes of this.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Interesting timing to say the least.

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Oh my god!! I am completely shocked on about 8 different levels. What timing...

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Is this for real?

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Doesnt mean he is taking drugs or involved in drugs.

However it would be a stretch for him to NOT know if his brother was, especially if they live together.

Seems to me LS must have been tipped off by the constabulary and he quick phoned up MON to respond to that offer he had previously round-filed.

Just my surmise, of course.

7. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Re: RE: Zat Knight arrested in drug raid

That's what I wondered too. I've been poking around some English news sites and they're all starting to pick up the story. ESPN has it now, as does the Times here.

Also I foundthis piece in the Birmingham Mail where he proclaims his innocence:

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

From that Birmingham Mail article:

9. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Bit shocked when I read the story. Drug use seems to much more prevalent with American athletes... you don't often read about drug use with English athletes. A huge positive in my opinion. Something a sport/nation can pride themselves on.

I find it hard to believe that Zat would be completely oblivious to what is happening around him, but I will give him the benefit of doubt. Hope everything gets sorted out for him.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

You're kidding right? Europeans have a much more pro-drug use attitude. They only time I've ever seen anybody snort coke was in the back of a bar in Germany. They did it in front of everybody.

Rio Ferdinand was banned from playing football for several months for? Answer: did coke.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not to mention Xavier -- now with LAG -- and that Rumanian striker who used to play for The Undead.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I am sure athletes have been found using drugs in every nation around the world. I guess the point I was trying to make is that you don't often read about drug use in British sports compared to American sports... or those stories aren't ran as often. Lyle... wasn't referring to commone everyday people and their drug use in Europe, I was focusing on the atheletes.

American athletes always seem to be doping on steroids, getting caught with marijuana or coke, DUI's and gun charges. The list goes on. Maybe stores of those types of offenses are published as much in Europe, but you can't turn on ESPN without seeing at least 5 athletes charged with some crime.

Just my take on it, but my opinion could certainly change once I get a first hang glimpse of it while I study abroad in the coming months.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Zat's brother sounds like a beauty, first he takes him out in a "wrestling" incident, now takes a bite out of his reputation.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The only reason you see drug use more often in Germany is because the Polizei don't focus on users like American police do. Their penalties for dealing are considerably heavier than in the U.S. (not to mention how the Polizei are allowed to treat you once they catch you...)

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

add Mutu to the list

So is the deal 100% done, no turning back for Villa? If thats true its freakin hilarious!

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

17. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Ahhh! You beat me to it. I just saw the vid. Had a screen shot ready to post.

I hope the check 3.5mil check doesn't bounce!

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's the "Rumanian striker that used to play for The Undead" that I referred to earlier.

When I was Spencer's age, I remembered names a lot better than I do now. :lol:

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

You don't hear about European atheletes doing drugs because you live in the U.S. Euro athletes probably do as much drugs, if not more drugs, than American athletes. Again, a lot of hard drugs are decriminalized in Europe and are just part of popular culture.

Rio Ferdinand, among others, was banned from playing soccer for several months because he got caught with dope in his system.

You'll find this out when you go over there.

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The German police do let drug use go... like heroin addicts shooting up in the train station. I am not sure their penalties for dealing drugs are harsher than American laws though. If you get caught "dealing" in the U.S. it is automatically 10 years in prison if you are prosecuted by the Feds. There is whole debate in law schools and in law offices whether or not the sentencing guidelines for drug offenses are constitutional in fact. Is it "cruel and unusual" punishment is the question.