Youth Soccer Tryouts

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, May 20, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If you have been involved with youth teams that are determined by tryout, I'm hoping you will share the tryout format and your opinions of the format's merit. Our local club has gone through various iterations of the tryout yet they all seem to have significant drawbacks - words of wisdom appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Mo, I have coached youth baseball all-star teams that used a try-out process and had kids try out for travel soccer teams. The process used for each sport was very different. I prefer the method that was used for baseball but it would be impossible to implement for travel soccer teams.

With baseball the team was chosen from a group of players that participated in a spring league. The coaches were chosen before the season was over and were requierd to watch each team play a set number of times before the season ended. Most of the players were selected based on their play during the season but anyone wishing to play was required to attend the try-out. Inevitably the selecting the final few players came down to their performance during the try-out. They were given a grade by every every coach in the league on their fielding, throwing and hitting ability and those grades usually determined the last one or two players to make the team. I liked this process becasue it involved watching kids play over an extended period of time. It is not a perfect process but it did help elminate the "off" day a kid might have during try-outs.

Our soccer club try-outs are conducted on two nights. Each night lasts for one hour and thirty minutes. As far as I can tell at the younger ages the club is comitted to having as many teams as possible with the kids that tryout. In fact, at the U-9 and I believe U-10 ages there are no cuts and try-outs are a formality used to collect paperwork. The older kids are graded on skills and physical abilities and then either cut or assigned to a team. The drawback to this method in my opinion is you can't measure a players heart and determination in three hours. However, I am guessing the older you get the more exposure the coaches have had to most of the players and some of the character traits the kids have are a known quality.

It will be an interesting try-out season for my son. Our soccer club is merging with another this coming season. Try-outs for him this year will mean far more than they have in the past.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Try-Outs for the Soccer Association of Columbia, for U-10, start next week.

SAC has 3 levels
    - Rec B (everyone makes team, everyone plays)
    - Rec A (tryouts in 2 weeks, must be selected to make team) - 3 90 minute tryout sessions
    - Travel (only 2 teams; tryouts next week, must be selected to make team) - 2 90 minute tryout sessions

I haven't been involved before this year, so the following is 2nd hand. From what I've been told, they put the kids in small blocks (about a quarter of a U-9 field) where they play 4 v 4. Focus is on quickness, dribbling skill, and being calm under pressure. I'll know more next week when I actually experience it.

4. Clevelandmo

Thanks for your input guys. I posted a long response with the different things our club has tried but it was lost in cyberspace. I'll try again later.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Here's a hint, if you dont have the 'keep me logged in' box checked, your log-in may time out in the time it takes to type a post. Then you are presented with the 'log-in' screen again.

IF THIS HAPPENS, use 'BACK' in your browser and copy your post before logging in!!!!

In fact, if anything unexpected happens, hit 'back' then copy before you do anything else.

6. Clevelandmo

Re: RE: Youth Soccer Tryouts

I do hit "back" but my post doesnt reappear. I used to be able to walk away and do something else mid-post but now I cant. Didnt know about the "keep me logged in box" I'll just use that. The time pressure is probably good for me anyway. Thanks PF

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: RE: Youth Soccer Tryouts

The back button does not work for me either. I have gotten in the habit of copying my text before posting on long diatribes just in case.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Youth Soccer Tryouts

well, I use firefox 2.0.0.14, your results may vary.

As to the time-out, it's shorter. But I think it MAY have something to do with Mike adjusting it to piss off spammers.