Woy for England

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

For anyone that hasn't lost a parent at an early age, the workplace can be a mind occupier, even for the briefest of moments. Roy didn't replace him which makes me think Jermaine told him he'd be back (maybe even Monday). Condolences to the young man and his family. Hodgson has been on the job for a few weeks and he's had to deal with so much; suspensions, injuries, court cases, and personal losses.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

That's the England national team for you; one big, never-ending soap opera.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

5. Clevelandmo

I agree with Evra; it looked far more like Chelsea v. barcelona than Fulham under Roy. For significant stretches they had nine men behind the ball and applied no pressure until the final third. Fulham did not play that way or it would have driven me crazy.

It was strange though, sometimes they did pressure further up the field and that's when they looked the most dangerous (and more like Fulham under Roy). I wonder how and why they turned that switch on and off.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.itv.com/worldcup/roy-hodgson ... -lewington?

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Roy's England squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (England), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/ ... turOj8w.99

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No Cole, No Terry.

I'm liking it.

9. Clevelandmo

I don't like leaving Defoe off, but granted I'm not up on the latest with everything. I know he has just come off an injury and Woy doesn't like his players in MLS. But hey Woy, if you want goals, what are you gonna do?

10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I sure like seeing Smalling in there though.

11. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Mo, are you saying that the four attackers he included can't score goals better than Defoe?

12. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

:text-+1:

13. Clevelandmo

ehh, didn't really think about that to be honest. Was more challenging Roy's statements about MLS and making the World Cup squad because, you know, Roy will definitely be reading my posts. Also I like Defoe and think they could use his experience and speed (which will help others score) and he is better than Welbeck imho.

14. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Love Roy, but still hoping England fall on their faces in the World Cup. What's with the Smalling love? He barely had a cup of coffee with us.

I might take Defoe over Welbeck, simply on form (if I were them) but not surprised the others were taken ahead of him.