Woy for England

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Ray Lewington will be joining Woy as his assistant. Cheers to him for his years of service.

2. RDG

RDG Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUNpy7Nzvw[/youtube]

There's also a video of Keith Allen (HUGE FFC fan and Lily's dad) doing the above rap.

I am happy for Woy and REALLY hope he gets a knighthood from this gig, BUT I know that you should always be careful what you wish for! (Just remember his wonderful spell at Liverpool.)

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Not too surprized about Ray's appointment. So my two favorite English managers are leading the three lions. Simply impossible not to cheer for them now.

I do fear this wont help Roy win over the fans though. Ray's personality will probably be considered too underwhelming for many and they'll ingorantly just consider him another mediocre appointment.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusi ... ll-time-in?

And...

Rio Ferdinand out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro20 ... gland.html

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Roy's Euro squad:

http://thefa.com/

GOALKEEPERS
    Robert Green (West Ham United)Joe Hart (Manchester City)John Ruddy (Norwich City)
    DEFENDERS
    Leighton Baines (Everton)Gary Cahill (Chelsea)Ashley Cole (Chelsea)Glen Johnson (Liverpool)Phil Jones (Manchester United)Joleon Lescott (Manchester City)John Terry (Chelsea)
    MIDFIELDERS
    Gareth Barry (Manchester City)Stewart Downing (Liverpool)Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)Frank Lampard (Chelsea)James Milner (Manchester City)Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur)Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)Theo Walcott (Arsenal)Ashley Young (Manchester United)
    FORWARDS
    Andy Carroll (Liverpool)Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)

7. Clevelandmo

Wow I'm kind of shocked he chose Terry. I thought Roy demanded more class than that, but what do I know. And it's not as if Ferdinand is a model player/person but still.

Also it's a huge mistake not to have Crouch. He scores boatloads of goals for England, I dont know why you would want to messs with that. And who is going to score goals when Rooney is sitting for those two games. These England managers have to pander too much to ever be successful. I guesss those who predicted Roy will fail are probably right.

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Agree about Crouch, I've always liked him. A little surprised he picked Green. I figured he was toast after the last World Cup gaffe. The law of averages probably doesn't apply here, but I like England to make some noise in Russia...don't know why, just a gut feeling I have about this outing.

9. SoCalJoe

Have to agree about Green, even though Joe Hart will be playing every minute. Woy said it was a pure football decision on Terry, from what I've seen both players are past their prime, so would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that decision was made. Andy Carroll's play really improved in the final part of the season, and beat out Crouch for the hold up role. Tough call, but Carroll is super athletic and my guess is Woy is thinking about 2014 as much as the Euros.

10. SoCalJoe

Both Barry and now Lampard ruled out for England. This might sound weird, but it actually benefits Woy. The expectations will decrease even more and he doesn't have to worry about getting Gerrard and Lampard to play effectively together. Rooney missing the first two matches and now these injuries will buy Roy plenty of time to shape the team for the WC cycle the way he wants.

11. Clevelandmo

Does he get to call-up replacements for them in the Euros?

12. SoCalJoe

Mo, Phil Jagielka from Everton and Jordan Henderson from Liverpool have been added.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Henderson over Carrick? Or, any other talented Englishman that may be out there?

14. Clevelandmo

There was talk that Liverpool was over represented in his picks anyway and now he takes Henderson? Personally I dont know many of these players well enough to have an opinion but I hope he isnt still groveling to that organization.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1085619/ga ... n-jaw.html

16. Clevelandmo

Martin Kelley?

Is Lescott not English. What is going on with all these Liverpool picks. You'd think they just won the Champions League.

17. SoCalJoe

Mo, Lescott is on the team and came in for Cahill when he broke is jaw. Micah Richards is the obvious choice, but apparently was pissed off about not making the cut and declined being on the stand-by list (same as Carrick).

18. Clevelandmo

Did anyone watch Enland's match with Belgium? How did they look under Roy? How did Dembele play?

19. jumpkutz

I DVR'd it and watched most of it. I'd call it a typical English performance, lackluster, workmanlike, got the job done, etc., etc. Made the most of one good play and made it stand up. But not very impressive.

20. jumpkutz

Oh, and the foul on Cahill should have been a straight red.