World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Watched the ESPN Encore of the demolition and had to give Steve McManaman some credit. He called out Brazil in the 9th minute when it was still 0-0 that if 'Brazil is going to defend like this Germany is going to tear them to ribbons". Best video of the day was the shot of the young woman already crying after Germany scored to make it 0-3, then her horror as the Germans immediately stole the kickoff and made it 4. This game is one that will be talked about forever (how many '7 to 1' chants will Brazil endure?)

Obviously losing Neymar and Thiago Silva hurt, but this was a seriously flawed team. Hulk, Fred, and Jo had to be the worst collection of attackers that country has ever started, not that it mattered with the shambolic performance from the backline today.

Some great stuff on twitter

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2123 ... -world-cup

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I had drafted a piece about how low Brazil had fallen and hoped to turn it into a View to be printed here on Sunday. But as HatterMom likes to say, "The urgent drives out the important" and it never got finished.

Germany was cruelly efficient. If they hadn't gone into a 4-corners over the last 20 minutes it could easily have been 12-0. AT NO TIME last season did I ever see Fulham quit the way Brazil did as soon as they were scored upon. They were hoofing the ball to absolutely nobody from the first 30 seconds. It was so bad that even Tony Pulis would have been sick of it.

What happened today is a watershed match in world football. What both Ian Darke and "Macca" said about this being an unforgettable match that people will be talking about for 50 years is absolutely true. It is no longer appropriate to mention Brazil and "the beautiful game" in the same paragraph.

After nearly a half-century of following football, I've finally realized that there's no Santa Claus, and it sucks.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I think Earl Weaver once said something about how you're never as good as you appear when you win, and you're never as bad as you look when you lose, but I think he'd bite his tongue about this one.

Sure, there will be soul searching in Brazil. They haven't really played "the beautiful game" in over a decade, but this? Today Dunga, I repeat, DUNGA, and his reign come out smelling like roses. Heck even Mano Menezes is off the hook.

But if anything I think the following happens from this game in time for WC2018:

Host Nations will take part in full qualifying campaign; even though they've already qualified. (France is doing this with the joke-that-is-Euro16-qualification). The lack of serious games—just random friendlies since the 2011 Copa America; 2013 Confederations Cup (which is not a very indicative tournament for any nation by any means); and 2012 Olympics (again, not indicative)—will be pointed to as one reason Brazil was so bad this tournament. Rightly and wrongly.

World Cup will expand to 40 nations. Okay this isn't really related to today's game but it's going to happen when Blatter runs for reelection next year.

4. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Not for the first time I will say that is a well turned phrase sir and it sums my feelings nicely.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't think I will ever be able to erase this image from my mind:
    [​IMG]

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

!
    Ah, publish it anyway... you have a gift! Who knew... I did! Lol.

When my kid {if 43 yo is a kid} yelled 'holy S**t, Germany is leading by 5 at 30, I didnt believe it. Immediately apparent that it WAS historical moment.
    But it underscores a lot of things to me. Explains why a coach would suggest thta England should play more like the US. Explains the role of 'Star as leader' and what might happen when you lose him. And that to be a good manager, you have to be able to do more than simple tactics.
    And finally.. like I said just a few days ago; let's not continue the meme of Football as 'the Beautiful Game'. It could be... but obviously it's a team sport and a manager needs ability to motivate.

I would have loved a Netherlands - Belgium final just to thumb my nose at the powers, but it will be Germany / Argentina, not so much on merit, but just odds.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

History indeed. But I believe the Dutch will go through and smash the South American jinx on Europe. I think DiMaria is too important to Argentina, even though they still have Messi and Aguero is supposedly fit.

8. SoCalJoe

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

too good

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

At least that dude's not crying.

11. nevzter

Losing DiMaria will hurt, definitely hurt. But if Aguero is fit, then it's a wash. I wonder how much the Dutch have left in the tank after their weekend battle with Los Ticos. I wouldn't be surprised if either team won, but I'm supporting Argentina. And it just happens to be Argentina's "Independence Day" today - oh to be a fly on the wall in Buenos Aires...

12. nevzter

13. SoCalJoe

Good for TV ratings everywhere that Messi is in the Final instead of Holland. Saw the tv guys saying the Argentina-Holland game was a tactical chess match. Maybe so, but both teams were only content to move their freaking pawns! Here is a thought, how about trying to win the game. The Orange especially should of gone for it since what are the odds of winning back-to-back in PKs? I hope someone scores early on Sunday and forces the game open up.

14. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Argentina have only scored one more goal in the entire tournament (8) than Germany dropped on Brazil (7) in a single match. I'm really surprised by this with guys like Messi, Di Maria, Higuain, and Aguero. I agree with Joe, the game will need an early goal or it may be another very low scoring affair. I realize the managers don't want to take too many early risks but does the viewing public really need another match with only 5 shots on target (that's less than one every twenty minutes)?

15. jumpkutz

The quality of play insofar as watchability has definitely eroded since the start of the knockout stage. The penalties have been dramatic, but the play has gotten too conservative, especially the snoozefest that was Argentina-Netherlands.
    Suggestions?
    How about eliminating PK's (or "kicks from the spot" for you purists), and bring back the "golden goal."
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who tired of seeing coaches command their charges to essentially play NOT to score.

16. jumpkutz

The Germans. Wow. They were the clearly superior side throughout the tournament. How many teams can bring a player the quality of Goetze in off the bench? Or Schurrle? Or hell, whoever? How have they not won more of these? Nor any major trophies since, what, '96? Unbelievable. It'll be interesting to see who comes through to replace Klose and Muller in four years. Assuming they're done. Hey, you never know. I'm gonna have to pay more attention to the Bundesliga, I guess.

17. astroevan

Muller is only 24. He won't be finished for a while.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Hell of a tournament. Can't wait for Russia.

19. astroevan

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

They played this video in each of the stadiums in Brazil before each game. I always really liked it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFtAEcZzLkQ[/youtube]