World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Apr 11, 2014.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Meh, I can't fully agree with what he's saying nor really disagree with it. Losing Jozy after 20 minutes of the tournament threw out the game plans for each match we might have had for the tournament. People can argue whether we needed a back-up for Jozy. Thing is, each somewhat suitable replacement for Jozy was a poor imitation of him. So the team rightly and wrongly threw it's eggs in one basket with Jozy being available. Yeah, they probably thought about the possibility, but it was more like well we'll just have to improvise or go to plan B if that does happen because we can't adequately replace him. And that is what it comes down to with the US team each World Cup. We are going to be limited in depth in comparison to the heavy favorites for some time. It's going to take maybe even a few decades to catch up with a team like Germany, Holland, and Belgium. Seriously, would we really have beaten Belgium even with Jozy and Donovan? I doubt we have done any better, the US defense let up so many shots to Belgium. And look at their roster in comparison to ours. Would pressing Belgium more earlier in the game done anything to change the outcome? I doubt it, we would be more open and have Howard making even more saves than he already did.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

LD was on Colin Cowherd this morning and had quite a few positive things to say about JK. He didn't mention any of the things he said in that article. Besides what Heather pointed out about no mention of Jozy's injury (which threw a monkey wrench into the plans) his assessment of Bradley was a little off base. There were plenty of times he played deeper and Jones got forward, I know he doesn't want to throw teammates under the bus, but he failed to mention the boys (especially Bradley) turning the ball over consistently without pressure from the opposition. The biggest thing I agree on a July 5th showdown w/Messi and the boys would of been amazing and is a lost opportunity.

4. SoCalJoe

Does it get much better than the double header tomorrow?

France v Germany: Will the all CB back 4 of Germany be exposed by the 'On-Again' French? This is the type of match in the past where you think the Germans are vulnerable and then they come up w/a performance. I will stick w/my France pick from a couple of days ago, but wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Germany advance.

Columbia v Brazil: Columbia has been my favorite team to watch and James Rodriquez has been crazy good. Only one problem, even though they've played better than the hosts this is the stage of the tournament where I can see it coming undone. Pulling for Columbia big time, but Brazil will find a way.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Pulling for Germany and Colombia. We'll see how it plays out.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

:text-+1:

And Los Ticos on Sattidy.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Great minds and all that jazz.

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

9. SoCalJoe

Columbia looked like the better team for the majority of game, but missed the killer pass in the final third. 2 set piece goals for Brazil's CB's who have more offensive ability than that less than scary pair of Hulk & Fred. Now Neymar is out, and Silva is out of the semifinal after a ridiculous yellow on the GK.

Was it me, or did France look like they didn't realize they needed a goal until there was 5 minutes left or so? 4 Semis in a row for Germany :handgestures-salute: , not a fan of them, but the level of consistency and their habit of getting stronger as a tournament unfolds is something to be admired and respected.

10. LaxAttack

I would say that Germany has figured this World Cup thing out.

And now at least fourth for this year.

11. SoCalJoe

Great pics Lax and worthy of a :text-bump:

Rooting for Belgium and Costa Rica today, and both teams will put up a fight in what will probably be losing efforts.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wow. Tough result for Ruiz and the Ticos, but they deserve a lot of admiration. They'll be a forex to be reckoned with for a very long time.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, the three team-oriented coaches are taking their squads back home, and we're left with Argentina, Brazil, Holland, and Germany. Muscle has defeated style -- in Brazil of all places.

Who gives a crap who wins this anymore.

14. nevzter

To steal a line from my buddy: 'it looks like Ruiz spent too much time in England working on penalties in a shootout...' Well, I'll be watching on Wednesday w/ my son b/c of his man-crush on Messi. All in all, and as HD stated, maybe insert a Spain or Colombia in there, but this is a final four that all had a high percentage of reaching it.

15. LaxAttack

16. nevzter

That was great stuff, LAX. Thank you for sharing.

17. SoCalJoe

A huge :text-+1: The video from apartment building looking down on the US fans marching to the stadium was amazing.

18. tim

tim Active Member

Fantastic stuff, Lax. Hoping I can make a trip like that someday.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Oh Brazil, that was painful. But happy my second team are through.

Btw, Ozil kill the clock next time.

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Just wow! I can't say I saw that kind of thumping coming Brazil's way. Germany looked so comprehensively good and Brazil so incompetent. It is inconceivable that Brazil has to play a consolation game.