World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Figure I start a catchall thread regarding this year's World Cup since everything seems to kicking off in the commercial aspect of the event, the release of Pitbull's "We are One" as well as ESPN's Ian Darke "Calls a Date." Not a bad concept, but could have been so much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92dvjohiOgo

And then there's Scolari's plea for his players to just have , dull sex and abstain from the acrobatic kind. :snooty:

What I am really looking forward to is ESPN's 30 for 30 Soccer Stories. If they do as well of a job as they did with "The Two Escobars," then I'll be watching them all. Unfortunately, they'll be starting off on perhaps one of the saddest tragedies in the game, The Hillsborough disaster.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -cup-espn/

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I'm actually headed down to Brazil for the group stage with the US (on the AO trip)......should be a effin blast.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Lax, that sounds awesome!

That Ian Darke ad is really bad. But I like the one Evan posted.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I saw a post from Nevzter about the 30 for 30 series, but it disappeared. Just a reminder the Soccer Stories series starts tonight at 8 pm EST.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I missed this schedule, but thanks for posting. I accidentally deleted my post, but nonetheless, you have the schedule already set. For some reason I thought Hillsborough was on last night but I get to watch today instead.

As for the ads, they made me smile so thanks for posting. Ian Darke may be the Joe Buck of US soccer broadcasts.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the players he chose over them, but Didiers is leaving these two at home. How do you not have two field players of this caliber that are proven PL performers on your WC squad? Those crazy French!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27401306

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nasri's antics cost him big. It's not always about bringing your country's most skilled players, but the ones that will, hopefully, be best for your team.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No tears for Nasri. He's a world-class jerk.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like construction on the venues will go down to the wire. A little concerning that some of the stadiums might not be getting a test match to see how it works out.

//www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2014/05/17/brazil-to-stage-key-stadium-tests-for-world-cup/9209953/

11. LaxAttack

Since Joe requested this in another thread, I thought I will give a quick rundown of my trip so far.

We are staying in Natal the whole time except for the gamedays in Manaus (flying in the morning of the game and flying back that night) and Recife (busing down and back the day of that game....supposed to be about a four hour trip each way so that day will be a long one). Staying at a decent looking (based on the website) hotel next to the beach in Natal. Also have some possible fun side trips during the off days (dune buggies and snorkeling among other possibilities). I also bought tickets for Italy-Uruguay and Japan-Greece since they also play in Natal during off days.

I have been pretty organized (already got my immunizations and went to the Brazilian consulate to get my travel visa while it sounds like some have struggled with the latter as we get closer) so far so pretty much now just a waiting game until I fly down there.

I will be taking a lot of photos so I should be able to update this later once I get back.

12. SoCalJoe

Great stuff Lax. Did you invest in Rosetta Stone or some other helper for a little Portuguese training? How did the American Outlaw trip come about? Was it a first come, first serve situation? Have you touched base with Edgar Zuniga aka Kansas, I assume he's traveling with that group. Fingers crossed that 4 hour bus ride is indeed 4 hours :shock:

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

LAX, that's awesome. Enjoy and safe travels!

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I will be living vicariously along with you with each step.

Godspeed Sir! What an adventure awaiting you!

15. LaxAttack

I know zero Portuguese and my Spanish is awful so I probably should brush up on some basics (I do have some list off a government site with some basic phrases).

I guess AO did a trip to South Africa in 2010 and had about 50 people. They started the planning for this trip back in 2011 or 2012, which is when I signed up for it and had to put a deposit down for it and the 300-400 spots were accounted for after a couple weeks so it "sold out" pretty quickly way back then. I forget the exact numbers but we have enough people to fill up two 767s. They also sold a smaller "land only trip" to those who will already be in Brazil but needed hotels and transportation to the Natal and Recife games.

Like Klinsi has said to the press, this World Cup is going to be a World Cup of patience. I fully expect everything to take way longer than it probably should since Brazil doesn't sound ready for it. I just recently read where the Brazilian airports are already crazy during normal travel days now throw in the World Cup plus our two 767s landing and trying to get through customs at the same time.

I am just hoping to get back to the US with nine points, both of my kidneys and without malaria (I already know my pale ass is going to be beyond sun burnt).

16. tim

tim Active Member

Sounds pretty incredible, Lax. I think your kidneys are safe, although the hope of 9 points may be a bit optimistic. Have an amazing time and please share your experiences!

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for posting LAX. I will appreciate any and all details of your adventures. Brazil was going to be our 2014 family vacation but we chickened out. Have a great time!!!!!!! :banana-jumprope: :flags-usa:

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

There's always Qatar 2022! :lol:

Hope all goes well Lax!

19. SoCalJoe

Like your attitude about patience, customs could be ugly. However, that should be a helluva fun plane ride w/all the fans. Take plenty of sunscreen and for what it's worth, we are not only all looking forward to hearing about trip but also wish you come back malaria free :shock: Is that the benchmark for going on an exotic vacation, that malaria is a concern?

20. SoCalJoe

Back to the tournament for a second, big story today is Saurez having knee surgery with some sort of meniscus issue. He's says he'll be good to go, but something to pay attention to in their opening match against Costa Rica.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1 ... on?cc=5901