WORLD CUP 2010 - Pre-Event Whistle Wetting

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I've heard similar numbers, along with speculation that European sales are way lower than expected. I know that at least initially, England didnt sell all the tickets alloted them, but they got an extension. Dont know if they ended up selling them or not but I doubt it.

American numbers dont matter to me much anyway since I know so few fans of the US MNT. I bet all those American sales are to Brazil, England, and Afircan team fans.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I saw the South African minister of sport saying that the USA had bought more tickets than any other country on the globe. He said he was not only looking forward to Americans watching the matches in his country, he was looking forward to Americans watching the USMNT.

I think we made some friends at the Confed last summer.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just ordered the away shirt with the "freakin' beauty pageant sash" on it. We're already talking up a England v. USA drinking ... uh ... er ... viewing session at our pub on the 12th, and I didn't want to NOT be showing my colors.

First soccer kit I've bought since July 2008. I hope the damn thing fits me.

5. Clevelandmo

Excellent work Don. Rock the house for the USA in San Antonio on the 12th.

WE are doing the same in Cleveland. Have rented the room with the largest screen I know of and everyone has said they are coming. Totally awesome, even people I was sure would not come.

My sons have the away US kit with the super awesome sash. The little one has "Davies #9" on his jersey, and he now has the crutches to match the injury situation. He tore his rectus femoral tendon playing soccer and is out of action for weeks.

Oh USA, usa usa usa!!!

England is in serious trouble. They dont even know who their #1 will be

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

But, does it say "Texas" across the front? :lol:

Nice, Mo, I like to hear of such things as I'm going to watch with buddies at my bro-in-law's house (he has a tv that greek gods would envy, while i still own the same set my wife and i purchased after our marriage many moons ago). Apparently, if you're in SF during the World Cup you can watch the matches on big screens in front of city hall with the other crazy and drug addled folks - which might not be a bad idea all things considered if its anything like '06... :banana:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1DHHFE.DTL

7. Clevelandmo

Huge plaudits to San Fran for the big screens. Now that is the way to do it. Maybe Cleveland is doing the same thing at the Rock Hall Browns stadium area; I'll check but I doubt it.

8. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

The Missouri State Cup soccer tournament is being held the weekend of June 10-15 in the Kansas City area. My U-13 son has two games on June 12, including one that is scheduled at roughly the same time as USA-England.

...I explained to him that I have many, many chances to see him play, but in my lifetime this may be the only chance I'll ever have to watch a USA-England world cup match. He says he understands. In fact, he's jealous.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

JP, sounds like you have a great son, good luck to him and his team. Looks like you owe him dinner out that night, his call.

10. Clevelandmo

I could understand if it was a baseball tourney or something but scheduling a soccer tournament during the World Cup :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jeez, should be against MO soccer league rules (no pun intended)

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope he has a full and quick recovery.

12. Clevelandmo

Thanks FulhamAg. The tendon he ruptured is large but has several points of attachment to the hip and only a small piece tore away. He can already put some weight on it and should be able to play again in four weeks. Much better than we expected so all is good.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yeah!! Who would do such a thing???

Unless, of course, they are familiar with the concept of "parlay":
    http://us98soccer.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=44

14. Clevelandmo

Bradley will cut the roster to 23 after Tuesday's match. That's going to make Tuesday quite interesting.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us

Howard and Cherundolo claim that all the forwards are looking sharp.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

at first I was kind of heartened by the quotes, and then I realized that the defenders they're scrimmaging against have more injuries than you'll find in a season of ER.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You would think GK's would know what's what when it comes to a good offense. The Crew can attest to the fallacy, there. Had a miserable mgr from GK background.

Something has to be done about the conditioning or stressor programs. There's FAR too many Hammy and groin pull injuries and I think it may have to do with faulty research results on warmup/stretches that came out a couple years ago.

Right now 3 of the six Crew defenders have either tweaks or serious pulls. Boca just got the fast-track hernia op done.

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Lovin' the promos on ESPN.

This morning, as we ate breakfast, we watched a little documentary piece on SportsCenter about the prison on Robben Island where the political prisoners (including Mandella) were held during the apartheid era. As one would expect from a documentary on ESPN, the focus was on the role soccer played in the lives of the prisoners. It was fascinating. Best fact I learned: The inmates formed a soccer league, and one of the political prisoners wrote a complete and elaborate constitution and set of by-laws for the league. Some 20 years later that same man was the primary author of the new constitution of the Republic of South Africa.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

did they point out that from the beginning South African soccer was [and is] a predominately black sport and that South African rugby was [and is] a predominately white sport?

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I thought it was more about class/position than race. Just like in 'blighty'.

20. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Not that I recall, Don, but last week my boys and I watched the movie Invictus on pay-per-view, and that point was central to the movie.

The opening shot was of a rag-tag group of blacks playing soccer on dirt lot strewn with trash, while down the road a group of whites wearing fancy uniforms are playing rugby on a beautifully-manicured pitch.

...it was an OK movie, by the way. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad we watched it for $5 on our couch at home rather than spending $30-$40 taking the family to see it in a theater.