WORLD CUP 2010 - Pre-Event Whistle Wetting

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree JP-STL. Simek was huge in Wednesday's defense before injuries hobbled him. He's been back regularly for about a month now. He's smart, disciplined, and tough, and we need that in defense.

I was wondering whether with Wednesday's old manager -- who loved Frankie -- went to Burnley if they'd make a move for him in January, but it didn't happen.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What is up w/these away kits? Sorry, but the freakin beauty pagaent sash is hideous. Are we playing in the World Cup or the Miss Universe contest??

As far as the call ups, never heard of Bedoya, really glad to see Torres, and really happy for Simek to be healthy enough to be given an opportunity.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Classic...and the midfielder from New Jersey passes back to the defender from California. I'll be awash in anticipation for the talent portion of the matches.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Please no swimsuit competition.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

SoCalJoe, I'm sure you know this but just in case you dont, the new jersey is a throw back to the jersey worn by the 1950 team that beatEngland. I think it is an awesome way to bring on Revoutionary War deux

[​IMG]

6. Clevelandmo

While on the subject of the 1950 team, soccernet has a nice (although long) article about Joe Gaetjens, the mysterious USA player who scored the goal to beat England. You may find it worth your while for some pre World Cup Whistle Wetting. It gives some details about the team, the game itself, and the inaccuracies in the popular history regarding this historic game.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us

If you're not up to reading it, here are the salient parts

Now consider the similarities:

Sash jerseys
    Striker from a Haitian family
    Turmoil within the England side
    Southern Hemisphere location (and I think like 1950 the home fans will be
    cheering for the USA)

Now it's just a matter of playig the game. USA!

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I personally believe that US Americans will beat the England and places like such as in a Slovenia and the Algeria even though some people out there, in our nation, can't find them on maps.

Yeah, Mo, but did they have vuvuzelas?

The US Hockey team did the throwback bit this year (based on the 1960 Gold Medal winning team) and beat Canada for the first time in the Olympics since that '60 team. I hope there's a parallel.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'll take overtime in the final of the World Cup, if that parallel is available as well.

9. sullytex

sullytex Member

Thanks for the link. Very interesting story.

10. Clevelandmo

I'm adding this to the video 'Bhoy posted. After the latest US setback, y'all might need some inspiration.

Enjoy this

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think it was a setback. We got beaten 2-1 by a top-5 nation -- one goal on a needless penalty and another on a deflection. We played a Fulhamesque away game and controlled the most prolific attack in World Cup qualifying while fielding about 10 guys we'll never see play in South Africa. I don't expect us to slap around teams like that on their soil while fielding a weakened side. But sometimes I think that's just me.

Having said that, thanks for the video, Ms. Maureen.

Oh, and the uni's are starting to grow on me.

12. Clevelandmo

The setback is Holden picking up a broken leg. Sorry but it depresses me a bit. He was going to make his first World Cup and now we dont know.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

WhitesBhoy's USA 2010 Kit Theory:

Those who immediately loved it, will start to dislike it more and more. Those who didn't like it, will start to love it.

What does it all mean? Nothing, really.

I'll be buying a long-sleeved version of the Away, when they come out.

Which leads me to WhiteBhoy's Kit Theory in General: Buy the lighter color in short sleeves and err on bigger, darker color in long sleeves and fitter. It makes more sense in seasons. Let cool air in during the hotter months, keep cold air out during the colder months.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'm not sure if that helped or hurt....I miss Dempsey, I miss Holden already, and I REALLY miss Davies.

I WANT MY DAMN YANKS BACK!!!!!

That said, how much more class did the squad have against Nederland then in any of the previous matches in the States the past few months? You'd need a forklift.

15. SoCalJoe

Maybe I'll be the exception to your theory Christian, but I hated the kit and after seeing it live...I hate it even more. Perhaps the reverse (like in the 1950 photo) won't make me cringe as much as those do.

Thanks Mo for the link, I love the Donovan goal replay v Brazil from that high-up, behind the goal angle. We might not see a US team ever have a better counter than that.

16. Clevelandmo

That was my favorite part. Love being able to see how the whole team is moving.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Luckily the US is in a "easy" group, otherwise I'd say the U.S. will have problems. The defense is poor, outside of goalkeeper. Not having Charlies Davies sucks bad too.

The team could still do well and could make a semi-final run, but I think it could be as bad as not progressing.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I'm sorry; I didn't understand. Yes, losing Holden is definitely a setback.

Christian: put me in the category that started off "not so much" and who has no come around to liking the uni.

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yeah, seeing that kit in action, I dislike it even more.

20. SoCalJoe

Did anyone else see yesterday on ESPN2 during the half of the Whites/Everton match when they (the studio guys) were talking about foreign ticket sales to the WC? They said of the 300K tickets sold outside of SA 120K have been purchased from people in the US. Does that seem right to you? I assume there is a percentage going to travel companies, ticket agencies, etc., but it still seems like a skewed number.