Wish Us Luck!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, May 21, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, after playing in public since August 2005, we've finally accumulated enough original material to go into the studio. Tonight is our first of either 4 or 5 four-hour sessions at Mandala Music here in San Antonio. The studio is owned and operated by local jazz legends [and great folk] Bett Butler and her husband Joel Dilley. I'll be wearing the white FulhamUSA tee-shirt in the studio tonight as a positive talisman!

Although we've gotten successful covering songs from the 50s through this century, we're recording 12 originals and only two covers. Why? Well, for one thing, the 12 originals save us at least $1200. For the other thing, Steve is rather proud of his melodies and I'm not terribly ashamed of my lyrics.

The 2nd session is next Tuesday, and we're hoping to have the entire thing recorded and mastered by the end of August with a view to having the CD released in early November.

Believe me, you'll be among the first to know when they go on sale. Save your pennies!

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Good Luck and have fun!! What are the covers?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One is Poco's "Crazy Love" -- Steve scored a four-part version of it. We'll have it up on the web site as soon as it is mastered.

The other is "Let It Be Me" by the Everly Brothers. It's already recorded [as part of our demo days] and is up on our website.

and thanks for the good wishes, Mo!

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Really Cool... 'Break a Leg'

or is it 'Break a finger!'

..a pick?

Bust ass!

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Have fun Don! Keep a journal or something of your time in the studio.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Best of luck with the recording sessions Don. I hope the finished product puts a smile on your face for years to come.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Good luck and have a great time.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

okay; I've just been corrected by my partner in crime. We're talking 8 or 9 four-hour sessions rather than 4 or 5.

I blame my advancing years for the mistake ... :oops:

And thanks for the good wishes, guys. It means a lot.

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Good luck Don!

10. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I got an old thrupenny bit will that be enough?

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let me geuss the title of your first single..."On the Left of Pettyfog" 8)

Good luck and enjoy the process.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: Wish Us Luck!

Fulham's newest chant?? At least a little ditty about FFC's season as you transition from one song to the next, right?

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Don't forget us lowly beings here on Fulhamusa after you climb the charts 8)

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Rock on Wayne.... As a tone deaf karaoke murderer I envy you your tallent and look forward to the fruits.

15. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Coming soon to the Billboard Charts c/o Hatter Don:

There's only one Brian McBride, but there's too many of you.

Hey, hey, hey, good bye. (The Relegation Song)

You stole my heart when you stole my left back

All my exes live in SW6

16. Bradical

Bradical Member

You go Don!

Coincidentally, my band is going into the studio to record a 4 track EP June 7-8 (two 6 hour sessions). It must be the season for production...

Good luck, and I am looking forward to hearing what you put out.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks, Bradical; and same goes for me. Post some links when you get something on EP3, dude. And if your band has MySpace, find us on there and make contact.

There's actually quite a few musicians on this site. Did someone say FULHAMJAM09? :rock:

18. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Bradical, what's the name of your band, and how often are you guys playing around town? let me know, always looking for some new music to listen too. I still remember seeing Rose Hill Drive for the first time and calling all my friends back home to tell them about those guys.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

great night in the studio. If you're working at a rate of 2 hours per song, you're on schedule. Well, we gave up about a half hour of non-productive set up time and getting our levels set for the rest of the recording schedule, then we finished rough cuts on two complete songs and did everything but the vocals on a third. Should take us about 45 minutes to put the third one away on Tuesday.

And we had FUN. Our recording crew was great and we're off to a roaring start. I got some pix wearing the FulhamUSA shirt, but it ain't on our camera so I may not be able to post it soon.

Anyhow, thanks again for the good wishes. I'll update y'all after Tuesday's session.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, we go back into the studio tonight for another four hours. We can't reasonably expect to see as much progress as we did the first time, but we're hoping.

The new avatar <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< comes from that first session. I'm doing a little "dressing" on an additional track of the first song. I adopted this avatar -- temporarily -- to show you guys that FUSA was in the studio with me [note tee-shirt]. Did we have a good night because of the shirt? HELL YEAH.

Well, on the advice of a few people, some time soon I'll be setting up a blog to deal with this writing/recording thing. I'll post a link here when it gets up, and many of you may be invited to comment. Once that link goes up, I'll probably let this thread slide into history.

I appreciate all the good wishes. This is a butt-load of fun for an old fart, I tell ya.