Who's Next Part ???

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Nov 8, 2015.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    nevzter likes this.
  2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Will our team be changing its name to the Lost Boys?

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm happy just as long as he stands by Fulham

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wish I could think of other Feldman movies, but got nothing after Lost Boys & Stand by Me.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Umm...The Goonies!

encorespanish, nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This doesn't surprise me. I watched the Reading v. QPR match yesterday -- and stayed awake through the entire thing. Reading has attacking players, but Clarke doesn't start them. The supporters were frustrated the entire 90. When this happens while the players are busting their asses, you know there's a management problem. I can't believe we wanted this guy; I also hope we don't take him now.

dcheather likes this.
  9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I can not like this comment enough.

10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

You answered the why. His players bust their asses. I don't think we were so concerned over his squad selection as we'll be bringing in someone else for that anyway. Pretty much the same reason Stuart Grey will be appointed, if that rumor is accurate.

Clarke foolishly burned a bridge (or 2) & karma bit him in the ass...rather quickly.

11. jumpkutz

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

HatterDon likes this.
  12. jumpkutz

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think if we were to think of Fulham as a restaurant, then Fulham just hired a Sous Chef while still searching for the Head Chef. Although one would think the Head Chef would want to hire his own Sous Chefs.

Hmm, funny the acronyms for Head coach and Head chef would be similar as well as sous chef and senior coach...very interesting.

MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  14. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

One is willing to come to Fulham. ;)

15. AggieMatt

That model of "wanting his own sous chefs" is what the club is trying to get away from, imo. Managers come & go frequently, so if you can minimize the upheaval when they do, you're better off & maintain more stability. Again, it's that Southampton model that plenty of other clubs are employing.

Look at Leicester. Under Pearson, they raced up the table in the Championship & won promotion. After a rocky start in the Prem, they went on a tear & stayed up. However, Pearson was causing them PR problems, even though the product on the field was good. So they sacked Pearson & kept his staff (and gave them raises, if I'm not mistaken). Then they brought in a new head man who was willing to work with what they already had in place. And look at the season they are having now.

Meanwhile, Pearson can't get a job b/c he insists on having his assistants brought in with him. The problem is those assistants don't seem keen to leave Leicester and doing so is cost prohibitive for most clubs.

In the old setup, if your apple had a bad spot, you threw away the whole apple and got a new one. With this new setup, you just cut out the bad spot & replace it. Now, we're not so far along as having a whole apple yet, but we're getting there.

nevzter, MicahMan and encorespanish like this.
  16. jumpkutz

Does anyone else besides me feel like they're just makin' this shit up as they go along?

17. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Yes, I've been feeling this way ever since we went to MK Dons without a manager. Overall, I've not even cared much to follow the team over the past few weeks. We're not going anywhere right now.

However, after reading stuff from Matt and Don I've been trying to take a longer view on this. Maybe it isn't as crazy as it feels. The thing that I keep coming back to is "Why now then?!" If we didn't have a good option lined up now, then why not wait until we did or wait until the summer? Maybe things happened that were beyond their control.

I think the past few weeks have been worse without Kit than what they would have been with him. I imagine we'd have 3 points instead of 2 if he was still around, but more importantly we'd have skipped all of the embarrassing fall-out and apparent floundering that has followed.

encorespanish likes this.
  18. AggieMatt

The question is just how far down the negotiation path you can go before sacking your manager? If it's acceptable to go all the way (signed, sealed, delivered), then the club deserves criticism.

Based on US sports, I'd assume you reach out to gauge interest and probably agree general terms £X/yr for X years. You probably talk conditions...like Pearson wanting his assistants. But that still leaves room for the deal to fall apart in the final negotiations.

Based on what Vescey said he was told, that's what happened. Clarke's agent wanted bonuses thrown on at the end & Rowett's wanted some sort of indemnity clause. If that's the case, that probably falls under "beyond their control."

Logicalman pointed out elsewhere that they could have told Kit their plans and asked him to stay on until they finalized it. The only problem with that is we don't know if they didn't or if they did and Kit said no.

Because there's so much we don't know, I prefer to take a longer term view & wait to see this play out before lobbing criticism. But I understand if others feel differently.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm absolutely sore around the midriff laughing at the Brit take on "Head Coach" as opposed to "Manager." I can't think of any football manager who has more power than an NFL head coach.

AggieMatt likes this.
  20. AggieMatt

Not to highjack this thread, but I get a bigger laugh out of how a nation that allows you to gamble on seemingly anything has such little understanding of how gambling works.

MicahMan and HatterDon like this.