Who's Next Part ???

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Nov 8, 2015.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm losing faith on whether Fulham will ever get the manager position right with current ownership. The track record is not the greatest so far, but still holding out hope something good will happen. It can't ever get as bad as Magath, right?o_O

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I usually see myself as one of the more cynical ones but even I'm surprised by this pessimism. First, with Kit, if he had any influence on Hyndman & Dembele signing they would have done so in the summer. Second, yes we score. But only last place Rotherham have shipped more goals. We're going nowhere playing like that.

I'm not sure where this "answers to Khan" stuff is coming from. He owns the club & by nature, whatever hierarchy is put in place, there will be one person immediately below him who "answers to him." However his track record at Fulham & the Jags suggests he's hand off except for things like marketing, stadium & facilities upgrades & that sort of thing. He's hired Rigg & those under Rigg will work with & ultimately answer to him, not Khan.

Let's review the manager history under Shad. Inherited Jol. Jol wanted Rene added to staff. Shortly after he was in, Jol was fired & Rene was appointed. There was alot of debate at the time if he'd actually been appointed or was named a caretaker. Rene asked for Wilkins & Curbishly be added to staff. There was then alot of debate about the club forcing them on Rene, even though he confirmed they were his choices in interviews. He even confirmed it after his termination in a BBC5 radio interview where he skewered the club for panicking. Magath was Mackintosh's idea & hire according to the club.

So we go to year 2. Magath is a disaster, Khan likely has lost trust in Mackintosh to hire managers, and the announcement is made that Mike Rigg will join the club as Director of Football after he's released from his gig with the FA in March '15. However, the decision is made that Felix has to go so Khan (and likely the board) put together the Group of 5. From what I've read, the Group of 5 settled on Steve Bruce, who wanted the job, but Hull wouldn't release him. Meanwhile, we got off to a good start with Kit as caretaker & the decision was made to appoint Kit. If you think about it, it's actually perfect. He's a Fulham guy, the fans wanted him & he would bridge the gap until your new DoF takes over. Kit stabilized the club post-Magath, was given an overhauled squad, a set of objectives & a chance to take us forward. Based on the interview, it seems pretty clear that sacking Kit was Rigg's call.

Which leads us to today. Rigg will make his first appointment & it'll be the first made under this new organizational philosophy. It's like a new chapter in the club's history & for that reason I'm optimistic. We know what the past has gotten us for the most part and (outside of Roy & perhaps Hughes) it didn't work out well.

As for the manager vs head coach bit. Liverpool, City, Southampton, Swansea, Spurs, just to name a few, all use this organizational setup. The job is too big for one manager to oversee. So you either entrust that manager to appoint his team (coaches, scouts, etc) or you the club appoint one & find a manager that fits. Given the turnover in managers across football, the latter is by far the more stable route.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good thing we didn't do a 'Pick the date and time the new manager er' head coach is hired' pool cause I would of guessed 3 days ago. Starting to get twitchy like its the last day of the transfer window and we haven't signed anyone yet.

4. SoCalJoe

Nope, nothing to see here.

5. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

ZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZzzzz

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Oh look! We hired Paul Lambert!! Oh, no, wait. Sorry. BLACKBURN hired Paul Lambert. The partial headline in my Google alert threw me off "Paul Lambert becomes new manager..." Nevermind. Still nothing to see here. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

7. AggieMatt

Huh. I figured we'd hear something today. 7 days passed between sacking Sanchez & announcing Roy, so it's not panic time...just yet.

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Anyway, rumors of a 3 man list:

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=422011

SoCalJoe likes this.
  11. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

@dcheather I saw that headline too. I think they knew what they were doing there.

Anywho, still nothing to see here. Move along.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  12. SoCalJoe

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Reading Tisdale's bio on Wiki sounds a little promising. He's been with Exeter since 2006?
    And:

This sounds excellent to me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bobby, Drew, and Waymon

15. jumpkutz

Mr. Tisdale's appearance on a short list is intriguing, although I'm not quite sure what constitutes small, tidy football. There's something to be said for considering someone with his track record, although it's definitely riskier than the other names on this list. We'd have to throw a pretty obscene number at a league competitor to pry a new boss away from them, and although I'm sure Shad has the money, I don't see that happening. Color me surprised if we snatch Mr. Clarke away from Reading. And I know this is sports, but there's a reason a guy is currently "out of work." But if this list is accurate, Mr. Pearson is probably the best bet here.

16. jumpkutz

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

18. AggieMatt

Could be back at work as bookies have slashed odds? That's the compelling evidence? I'm gonna need alot more convincing than that.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not going to completely believe until he's doing the obligatory scarf waving photo shoot. But he was on the tube, remember? :)

20. jumpkutz