WhitesBhoy's 23 Tickets to South Africa

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, May 26, 2010.

?

Who stays?

1. Buddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rogers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bedoya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Torres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gomez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bob's Wild Card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I would have taken Ching over Gomez, but other than that I have no complaints.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: Bradley's 23

I know...but does bornstein add anything than just being a body out there? Hell I'd take Ching to play defense...at least he contributes something. OK. I know I'm being irrational, but Bornstein will be in SA and not Ching? Not that I'm thrilled with either of them. But Ching could actually have played a useful role in SA.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Remember, Nev; one of the major jobs of the USA coach is to watch A LOT OF MLS FOOTBALL. Most "name" coaches that would be an improvement over Bradley have no interest in doing that. There's a few, but not many. If we get Klinnsman, it'll be for the name, and we'll have a useless 8 months or so until he gets bored and moves on.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Sigi watches a lot of MLS...and if you have to stay "local", I think he'd coach circles around Bob. But, I understand your point HD and think its entirely valid.

But, let a foreign coach set up camp at a house on the strand in Manhattan Beach, L.A. for a few years (watch a few matches at the HDC here and there) and I couldn't see any foreign coach complaining about that set up. I couldn't see ANYBODY complaining about that set up! :lol: Unless they happen to hate beaches, beautiful people and fabulous weather...

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So our only options are Max Bretos or Pettyfog. No wonder you are so steadfast in your support of Bradley.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

HA! Funniest thing Ag has said on here in a long, long time.

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Hey I think 'fog should get a chance. Max Bretos on the other hand would just annoy everyone at US Soccer and get fired after the team scored its first goal under him. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS! Either that or earplugs would be given complimentary to everyone upon entering the stadium

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Forget it.. watching that game last night convinced me I wouldnt have that job for anything.. but I saw enough to know I dont want Klinnsman at all.

What an ass... I said as much to my kid but then I started having second thoughts.. maybe I heard him wrong.. meaning his 'tone'.

Uh.. no, I wasnt the only one.
    Klinsmann Dishes on Turning Down the USA Job and Donovan's Bayern Trial

For me... Sigi's the man. He can move back to LA.. take a breather and 'semiretire, sorta.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... nsive.html

Damn you Bob Bradley.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Don, there are what, 4 MLS players on the US roster? Is watching MLS really that important other than when needing to field a JV roster for a gold cup?

Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again: unless Bob and co can figure out a way to break teams down we aren't getting out of the group stages. And, despite my previous ill-will toward him, not even having Ching makes that task much more difficult.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Bradley quotes from ussoccer.com concerning Ching;

"Brian has been such an important player but it's tough when you have an injury at an inopportune time."

"It was extremely hard with all the respect we all have for Brian. As a person, for the way he plays on the field, his commitment to the team--it's always hard when you make these types of decisions, but it's particularly difficult when it's a player that has contributed so much to the national team over the years."

So BB is going with the health excuse, I'll be curious to see what Ching has to say about it.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Only four guys who currently play in MLS, but by my count 17 of the 23 (everyone except Cherundolo, DeMerit, Onyewu, Spector, Feilhaber and Torres) played in MLS at some point during their careers. The USMNT coach isn't just watching players in the couple of months before a tournament or just for the purpose of decide who to take to a tournament, he's watching them year-round and scouting guys who'll possibly make an impact in the future. To pick one example, I'd assume Bruce Arena watched Tim Howard play for the MetroStars as early as 1999 or 2000 even though he didn't play for the USMNT until 2002.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

From the Houston Chronicle. Ching is a total class act. I had no idea about Kinnear going through the same thing in '94.

Given the chance to stay at home a day after one of the biggest heartbreaks of his career, Dynamo forward Brian Ching decided to move on as quickly as possible.
    Instead of dwelling on being a surprise omission from the U.S. national team heading to the World Cup, Ching wanted to be with his teammates.
    Although the pain and shock were obvious, Ching, 32, returned to practice Wednesday morning at Robertson Stadium a day after U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley released his 23-man roster for South Africa 2010.
    Sixteen years after being one of two players cut on the day the national team’s 22-man roster was selected for the 1994 World Cup, Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear gave Ching the option to get away.
    “I spoke with Dom yesterday, and he was extremely nice in the sense that he said I didn’t have to come in today if I didn’t want to,” Ching said. “But for me to sit around at home by myself and with this weighing on my mind would be difficult. The best thing I thought was to come in and have a good time with the guys. A lot of them understand exactly what I’m going through, and they try to help me out, try to make me smile. It’s good, and I feel great right now.”
    Considering what he had contributed during qualifying for the 2010 World Cup and his work leading up to his selection for the 2006 team, Ching was considered a near lock for a team that has a low level of international experience at forward.
    “Yeah, I really was (surprised),” Kinnear said. “I think a lot of people were. I think that’s why a lot of people are here today probably. I think everyone’s kind of surprised and wanting to get the story.
    “Everyone sees the game a little differently. I have a lot of respect for coach Bradley and what he’s done with the national team. Obviously, I have a bias because I see Brian every day, and I thought that, yeah, he could have been on that roster. I think I was surprised when I saw that list come out.”
    Ching had recently returned from a left hamstring strain. He played Tuesday in the national team’s 4-2 loss to the Czech Republic.
    “To be completely honest, when I got the news, I was just kind of in shock a little bit,” Ching said.
    “It’s tough, but the thing that’s been helping me get through this is the tremendous support from my friends, my family and from the fans. The response a lot of the fans have given me over the past 24 hours is fantastic in helping me get through this.”
    In 1994, then-U.S. coach Bora Milutinovic had 24 players in camp in Mission Viejo, Calif. When it was time to announce that team, 22 of them were told to show up at 12 p.m. in a certain U.S. polo. Two others were told to show up to visit with Milutinovic at 4:30 p.m.
    Kinnear had been confident enough to purchase 25 tickets for all of the U.S. games in the group stage. But when he showed up for the 4:30 p.m. meeting, he knew he was toast when he realized the parking lot at the training complex was relatively empty.
    To this day Kinnear remembers the sad call he placed to his mother, who burst into tears when he told her he’d be seeing her the next day.
    “I just know the disappointment he went through,” Kinnear said. “We felt really bad because I think everyone in that locker room feels he was merited a spot just because of what he’s done in the past and qualifying. All very disappointed for him and we all wish he could have been on that final roster.”
    Despite his 1994 disappointment, Kinnear remains a supporter of the U.S. national team. Like Kinnear, Ching hopes the U.S. national team does well in South Africa.
    “They made their choice,” Ching said. “Unfortunately it went against me, but that’s his choice. I’m extremely proud of the way I played and the effort I gave over the past four years and my contributions to the team. But now I think my role is to the team and 100 percent trying to get this out of the way and allow everybody to focus on the national team and the guys being there. And the guys that are there are getting confidence and getting excited to play and move on and show well for the United States.”

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

thanks for that info Joe