Where In the World is Stuart Holden?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not so much, andy

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Knight, Ricketts, Robinson, Kevin Davies, Cohen, Muamba, Wilshere, Lee, Elmander.
    Subs: Al Habsi, Samuel, Taylor, Gardner, Mark Davies, Basham, Andrew O'Brien.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Stuart no where to be found in today's match

3. Clevelandmo

Calvin played 60 minutes for the reserves and there is some talk that he will make an appearance in Bolton's FA Cup match

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ites_woes/

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Calvin?

5. Clevelandmo

He reminds me of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes

[​IMG]

6. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

That is fantastic Mo!

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We might see him in Sunday morning's FA cup game vs. Spurs.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I've never seen Calvin and Holden in the same room at the same time.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nice to see him get the winner against the Spuds, wouldn't it?

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Feature in the Independent:
    Texan Holden gambles on a return to his roots

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the last 40 minutes on-line. Coyle lost the match for them, but he played Holden the entire 90. Holden took every free kick and every corner while I watched. He could have bagged two assists in the second half, won a tackle or two and got into dangerous positions. I think he's done enough to earn another start. We'll see.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

By all accounts Holden played well, considered one of Bolton's best two players on the day (the other being a 2nd half sub).

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sky Sports gives Holden a rating of 7 for a "bustling display". It looks like Holden chose wisely about his European destination. At this rate a spot in the starting XI come June might be a real possiblility.

One problem...with Donovan and now Holden impressing combined w/the respect Dempsey has already established, England won't be taking us lightly.

P.S Bolton won a huge 6 pointer w/Wolves, and who scores the only goal? Our own Zat Knight(mare)

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SOCCERNET's writeup was very complimentary to our boy. They said that the opponents had no answer to his free kicks. I think what we have here is another Boothroyd-Cheesehead synergy in the making. If Bolton survive, look for Holden to be a serious cog in their plans to make the Trotters more attractive next season.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I watched the first half of the Bolton-Wolves match and I cannot believe I am going to say this but Bolton was fairly fun to watch. Holden, Wilshire and Li (I think) all put in bustling performances and of the three I thought Li was the best. Owen Coyle is reshaping the team to his philosophy of keeping the ball on the ground and nobody from Bolton was threatening to hit Wolverhampton shins more often than the ball.

It was a pretty wide open match and Holden did not stand out in the same way Donovan has but he certainly did not look overmatched either. He took all the corners and free kicks that I saw in the first half and they were of pretty good quality for the most part but I have seen him do better.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Stu took all of the corners and deep free kicks that I saw and placed more quality balls into the box than naught. He performed well overall, he's starting for a Premier League club, and he looked comfortable, which is key to success in England.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I agree - he played well and is obviously part of Coyle's plans for rebuilding the team style. He played in an attacking midfielder role, with a holding midfielder behind him, but still played box-to-box, doing a very good job defensively.