What Cd's have you been listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Does anyone like Embrace? Has anyone heard their latest disc? I have heard a few songs, but not the whole record. I can't wait to get it.

2. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

The Killers, Stone Roses and the new Prodigy album; which is very disappointing.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like the Killer record and I am huge Stone Roses fan. I like both of those bands a lot.

As for Pordigy, I reallyliked Fat of the Land, but I have not heard this new one. Does it sound anything like Fat of the Land?

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I really liked prodigy...I didn't even know they had a new one...I hope it doesn't suck that bad!

5. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

The Killers album was great in spots and in others seemed a bit forced...

What else is in my NEW iPod these days... not that I'm excited to have it or anything...

Acoustic Syndicate - an interesting mix of bluegrass and rock
    Alison Krause - always a winner
    Ben Folds - how did I got years without being a true fan of this guy?
    Jamie Cullum (the cheeky Brit)
    Kasey Chambers - good Australian country... a bit nasally on the voice, but great songs
    Neko Case - Those crazy Cannucks
    O.A.R. - The Live disc from last year... most excellent
    A bunch of Indian club/lounge music I picked up on my trip

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Ben Folds is great. I read the other day he is gonna release proper full length record in April I think. Should be great. Ben Folds Five was good and Ben Folds solo was good as well.

As for Kasey Chambers, she is not a bad singer/songwriter, but I was always more into her looks. When she released her album Barricades and Brickwalls in 2002, I worked at a record store and she played there. She was quite the hottie then and I am assuming she is still one today.

7. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I was trying to preserve my image as a nice boy who was only interested in the music... yeah right... :wink:

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Landshark, isn't it funny that both of us take an avergae singer/songwriter and think she is now for some reason quite good when it is all based on her looks? I mean she has a few decent tunes like "Not Pretty Enough," but nothing for me to get in to much. It is all about the looks.

For those of you who have not been lucky enough to see Kasey Chambers, click on the link below and click on gallery. You will not be disappointed:

http://www.kaseychambers.com/

9. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Why do you think Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, et al. became popular? You think anybody is actually listening to the music?

Wow, I feel quite the chauvinist pig right now... alas, I speak the truth... But, in reality, I really do enjoy Kasey's new CD. She has some great musicians with her and takes a trek into some more bluegrass-ish sounds with a lot more dobro and banjo in the music. It sounds closer to Alison Kraus now, but without the really depressing lyrics.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have not heard her new cd yet. I thought her last effort was not too bad, but not great.

Landshark, you listen to Mojave 3?

11. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Can't say that I've heard of them... what style music?

12. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Oh... and for those who want to hear an AMAZING new radio station... check out www.minnesotapublicradio.org and click on 89.3 The Current... Check out the playlists... the craziest mix of music you've ever heard... the CD-Quality stream sounds great on my computer...

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't find the playlists. What kind of bands/artists do they play on this station?

14. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I forgot that during the morning show they don't update the playlist... the link is working now... direct to the playlist is: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/ ... aylist.php

But to give you an idea, in a span of three songs last night I heard Johnny Cash, Nas and some band I'd never heard of before... all over the map...

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That is nice playlist. I will have to check it sometime soon while I am at work.

16. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

I agree. I'll check it out as well. Any station that can combine those styles is one worth listening too. It beats the crap out of the corporate, clear channel influenced stuff you normally have to listen to.

17. mrska

mrska New Member

The Specials are my favourite ever band, formed around 1979, they played ska music and formed 2 tone records. Most bands on 2 tone were multi-cultural,black and white, which was ground breaking stuff in the late 70/early 80's.
    There biggest Hits were Gangsters, Message to you Rudy, Too much Too young and Ghost town. They finally called it a day in 1982, but are about to reform to celebrate 25 years in the business.

The remaining members produced a single which you may of heard FREE NELSON MANDELA under the name SPECIAL AKA

18. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

Hey yes, the Specials are great. What do you think about Madness, they were ska too.

19. tac

tac New Member

recently, i have been going old school with a little of the jam
    yeah pretty obscure but good

20. RDG

RDG Member

I've heard The Jam called some things before, but not "obscure". Even though I'm not a huge fan, I do have four of their records (sic) in my collection. I never got to see them live, sadly, as this was Paul Weller's best band. Ah, well, perhaps I'm too old. Ugh.