West Ham vs Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by VonBilly, Jan 9, 2007.

1. hakeon

hakeon New Member

thanks for the review - getting spotty reports at my end of the line (poor network conections today) i have to guess often how the game played out.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ok, I've seen this 3-4 times now. Fulham did not peg them back 3 times. They did it twice (still a decent achievement), Fulham were up 1-0 at one point in time.

For some reason I think Fulham should have won this game. Sure, West Ham had most of the play, but sloppy defense is dropping points for Fulham (that and the fog coming in on the chat room). :wink:

3. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

intresting ...wet spam supporter here ,who was at the game. i admit we are terrible at present .but you seem to gloss over the fact that graham poll yellow carded at least ten players (yours and ours) and we were down to ten men for the last 25 minutes.that unfortunately was our most spirited 2nd half for a long time and we held out till the 3rd minute of injury time. ......'you should have won' i think not.
    still nice to know you have some support over the pond.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was at the game and I would have to agree that we should have won it (due to our defence allowing two sloppy goals) although maybe in the grand scheme of things a draw was a fair result. Listening to talk sh!te today, all I heard was West Ham fans bitching/moaning/complaining about Poll. It wasn't his fault that we scored the third, it was the sloppy defending, IMO!!!

COYW's

5. americanmike

Side notes:

Boca was at fault again for a indecision that lead to West Hams third goal, (but credit to him for their second, it was a cracking shot). I think Boca needs to sit, or simply learn to CLEAR THE BALL!

Lastuvka, well, had a solid game and is now part of the Fulham family. If you didn't get to see his celebration towards the Fulham fans after our third, it was superb. I'll see if I can find it.

I think we'll need to make a song for Christanval soon, he deserves it.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well-played, woman!

I should pinch your impertinent cheek for that, if I didnt wonder it were true..

However, I did say that Fulham were likely to lose, and Boa would figure in the scoring.

I think Boa needs professional attitude help, he's lost his 'fire'

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

For all of those people who think football is boring, just show them this game. Very exciting.

Boa was even whinier than usual (hard to believe) but I could enjoy it today. Way to blow two goals!

Maybe Cookie should introduce Boca and PC at practice on Monday. They don't seem to communicate on the pitch, that's for sure.

I am impressed by the heart of this team. They never give up. A win would have been nice, but considering that they had a ton of corners early in the game and took the play more to us then we did to them, the point is s good outcome.

Mike, on TV we saw Lastuvka running and screaming in celebration of the tying goal but we did not get a shot of him in front of the Fulham fans. That must have been fun to see. I was not impressed with the WH fans. It certainly has been a rough season for them, but still, they were pretty quiet.

8. americanmike

On the radio on the way back, West Ham fans were evening talking about how Fulhams fans were impressive. I think the resiliency of the team is translating into Fulham fans getting behind the team 100% of the matches. I am watching highlights on TV now and I our chanting is loud and clear.

Speaking of highlights, enjoy: http://www.zshare.net/download/west-ham ... m-zip.html (just click on the big download button on this page)

I hope the chat room was lively today...another last minute goal should've helped it!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The chatroom was alive, thanks. DCH was the moderator with a flag for everyone. The secong 'fog logged in [and I mean THE SECOND] we went a goal down for the first time. We had folks from your side of the pond as well as a brief visit from KeithinSpain as well as some folks I'd never seen before.

Around 40 minutes in, VonBilly said we'd pull the game out with a goal in the last minute. I think he's going to come up with some Powerball numbers for us later today.

Once again, you traveling supporters did us proud. And I know just how much you loved taking points off of West Ham.

10. martin

martin New Member

I listened this morning and watched the replay on Setanta this afternoon. What a match! That last minute was crazy. The announcer said that was Christanval's first goal in 7 years. You couldn't tell by watching. He drilled it home, cool as a cucumber, like he does it every day. And Lastuvka's celebration was a beauty. You'd think he scored the goal himself.

Boca was definitely at fault on their third goal. Gentleman Jim actually referred to it as a "cock-up" between him and Christanval. Didn't know you were allowed to talk like that on the air!

11. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I am curious after two games does anyone have a sense if montella is going to pan out? I know he went in in the last game and I think he went in today, but no goals no mentions here by anyone. Just curious what someone who has seen him play thinks.

12. ChrisinLA

ChrisinLA New Member

I heard the Fulham fans gave a decent reception to Boa. No surprise, Fulham have always had quality sporting fans. Even when I was a kid in the 70's and football violence was at it's worst Fulham was always a great, safe, fun atmosphere. Unlike the scum down the road. Full of yobs from the Middlesex suburbs.
    I'm so grateful we returned to the Cottage. :D

13. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

Wow great game. And I thought Boca did really well up until his screw up, which was quite unfortunate.

14. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

No kidding--he had a couple of good tackles (including one that required him to run faster than I think I have ever seen him move), but when he screws up, he REALLY screws up. It's aggravating, and it must be driving Cookie insane.

I would obivously have preferred a win, but it's always great to see how hard the lads fight, no matter the scoreline. I was once again in a pub in the minority fan group (although not the ONLY Fulham fan present this time, which was a change of pace), and the Wet Spam fans supporters behind me literally bitched and moaned the whole game. Christanval's goal was incredibly gratifying for that reason. I got a lot of glares as I was leaving, and it was TOTALLY worth it.

Come to think of it, the last time I was there watching was the Chelsea game, where Boca's injury-tme goal secured the draw and silenced the Chekski supporters who had been so sure of a win. Hmmm. This is getting to be a disturbing trend.

Damn you, FSC, for leaving it to Setanta to broadcast all these matches!

Brownie seems to be taking his role of captain very seriously. He's definitely vocal, and very passionate. Nice to see.

Speaking of songs, someone pretty please point me in the direction of a source for learning Fulham songs? One of my goals is to get to the Cottage for a match or two (hopefully this year), and I'm feeling very ignorant in this area.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Montella looked okay today. In fact, I think the ref missed a penalty call when Montello was clearly taken down in the box.

He seems to have good ball skills and has good knowledge of the game in getting into space and such. However, he does lack heighth and strength. There was a cross today that had he been a few inches taller could have very well resulted in a goal.

I think he has a chance of being a decent player. No guarantees, but I am intrigued by him.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i know! i've only been able to see one match since i've been home, and probably will only see that one. maybe i'll be forced to get itvn when i go back to school.

great effort by the lads today. i love their "never give up" attitude. it makes draws to relegation teams much more acceptable. next saturday should be interesting.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

18. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I bet there wasn't one word of the CLEAR PENALTY that Montella should have got. That made me scream. I'm glad this is the season of "Fulham doesn't give up when they go a goal down". Our CB's did the same exact indecisive garbage that let, who was it Charlton? draw us... It would be nice to get 3 points every once in a while, but looking at our goal differential I'm happy to be in 12th place with all those draws.

I couldn't get codec for that video, so I found the highlights in English:
    http://www.zshare.net/download/whu-3-3-fulham-zip.html

19. americanmike

Hi Meggrs,
    Not sure if you tried our downloads section for Fulham songs, but here are a few recordings of them. There are two pages worth:

http://www.fulhamusa.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

20. americanmike